Comments regarding chip it, chips

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on my chip etc - last tank (mix of city/freeway) got 12.0L/100km. Previously wouldve been 13.5 given i've got bigger tyres, roof rack, plus the usual bull bar & lift

Dave have you tried different tunes to see if u get an even better result?

Hi Robert,
Have been back out of the country for another month or two, and more to go, so have missed a lot of what has been going on here on the forum, but is there any news on a chips for the DI ZD30 on the D22's as yet? Cheers,
Mark

My Bad, the internet here is painfully slow, but I just found the other thread where you mention that you now have a chip available. I think I already know the answer to this question, but will ask anyway....
I currently already have an EGT gauge fitted, however I am guessing for the monitoring of the EGT by the Chip it would have to use a specific gauge? I have the autopro analouge display one, which I am guessing will not work..... but the pyro etc would not need to be changed? or does it to be the correct calibrated one for the gauge you use?
Thanks in advance, I appreciate all the time you take to respond to people on this forum...
Mark

Hi Robert (chip it)
No I haven't tried any other tunes and have just been running the more docile 'custom' tune I had done.

Based on your experience and my mods (chip, delete pipe, egr block off, fuel rail nut thingy....) which tune should I use for optimum fuel economy?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Hi Robert (chip it)
No I haven't tried any other tunes and have just been running the more docile 'custom' tune I had done.

Based on your experience and my mods (chip, delete pipe, egr block off, fuel rail nut thingy....) which tune should I use for optimum fuel economy?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Dave if you had a custom tune, and overwrite it u will lose that tune. The person who dynoed it should have a copy BUT you would be best to call him to confirm or go there and ask him to download, rename and give it to you as say Tune 1 (then you could use THAT tune again if you wanted to go back to it after trialling the other tunes.

Regarding other tunes ... its up to your engine actually. Tune 4 or 5 gives the best USUALLY. But it depends on the vehicle and driving style.

Hope this helps

Cheers
RR

Just fitted chipit to my D40, using stock setting folder 2 tune 4, other mods 2 3/4" straight through exhaust from turbo back no cat (manual) and egr blocked off. power is great especially in 2nd and 3rd gear getting up to speed, boost jumped from 19psi to about 23-24psi. I didnt get the chip with the egt controlled mapping but i already have an autometer egt gauge, does anyone know at what point the chipit egt controller would drop mapping?, what exhaust temp?

10% more than stock temp figures.

Say yours gets up to 600 Stock, then we would knock off the tuning at 660 DEG CEL.

take the fuse out of the chip and go for a drive to see what the temps are stock

Has anyone noticed an improvement on take off with the chip in a D40 diesel??

My 2007 D40 STX has quite a delay from a standing start on acceleration, I assume its the turbo lag. Does the chip and associated tuning help this?

I find mine a bit of a problem, especially at roundabouts or when pulling out into heavy traffic. To the point where i warn people of it if they are to borrow the vehicle. Its probably my biggest complaint, (along with economy) on an otherwise great vehicle.

Jazz
I have no problems at all. In fact I could probably get the wheels to spin if I put my foot down hard enough. Well maybe around a corner!!
Mal

My 2007 D40 STX has quite a delay from a standing start on acceleration, I assume its the turbo lag. Does the chip and associated tuning help this?

I find mine a bit of a problem, especially at roundabouts or when pulling out into heavy traffic. To the point where i warn people of it if they are to borrow the vehicle. Its probably my biggest complaint, (along with economy) on an otherwise great vehicle.

That's EXACTLY what the chip will fix Jazz

In fact I could probably get the wheels to spin if I put my foot down hard enough. Well maybe around a corner!!
Mal

My auto spins both wheels from a standing start. I am running a wild tune from Chip It though. I just love it!

Lengthy intercooler piping is one of the main causes of this.
Add to that as its made out of rubber, the diamater of the pipe nearly doubles with 19psi of boost inside it, which effectively doubles the volume of air required to pressurise it.

Reduced spool time and improved throttle response is the most common benefit mentioned to me by customers that have brought cooler kits that replace the horrible rubber pipework.

Yes fitting a chip does give a bandaid solution.
More fuel gives more heat to drive the turbine quicker.

^:top:

OK, so we've heard alot about the chipit chip's, has seen, got or know about Steinbauer Power Module sold by Diesel Care? they have been advertising on 4WD Action DVD's.

Well the Steinbauer chips are ok. They will never bring on a check engine light for low fuel pressure like any pressure chip will.

But the extra pressure does help atomise the fuel better from pressure only chips.

So ideally if your after a plug in chip you want one that does give a bit more pressure (not enough to exceed manufacturers max specs though) And also does injector overdriving as well.

Add to this the benefits of having boost control are to good to ignore so that must be high on the list of abilities of the chip.

Finally the most important thing to have is the ability to change when the fuel is injected.
This alone can account for 10-20% more torque and better fuel economy without even giving the engine any more fuel or boost.

CHIP IT chips are excellent products to improve the performance of the diesel vehicles, and I strongly recommend to try it!

Derby

Is there any significant gain fitting a Chip It chip when retaining the stock exhaust?

The reason I ask is I like the idea of extra torque/power but I'm not sure if I should do the chip first (quick and easy install) or the exhaust which would be harder to organise as I'm in a country town and I have to take a day off work and head into Bendigo or down to Melbourne to get one fitted and I'm probably looking at a lead time of a couple of weeks for that.

Well the exhaust is improving airflow through the engine, so in effect you are making your air pump (the engine) more efficient. And the more air you can get in and out, the more diesel is able to be efficiently burnt.

Reducing exhaust backpressure will drop EGT's as well, so it is adding a safety buffer to the engine.

A chip will give it more fuel to make the power, but will also increase EGT's.

Air then fuel is how it should be done if you care about the longevity of the engine mate.

And when choosing any chip, be sure to get the actual rail pressure testing data, ie. At setting X we take it from 25000psi to 27500psi....

I have seen an influx of patrol's and some navara's lately with split injectors due to chips being cranked up past the max limit of the fuel system and customers had no idea this could happen.

Latest posts

Back