Complete engine swap or just get it fixed?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the site.
I drive a 2000 silver D22, old emu lift, all terrain, bull bar, canopie, spottys.
It is a 3.2 diesel with 400,000 on the clock.
I have aquired a rolled 2002 d22 with the same running gear that has only done 120000 that i use for spares.
I have a leaking gear box, and you can hear the gears shake every time the clutch is released wich i know can lead to serious problems.

Am i best off just fixng my gear box, or should i take the engine and gear box out and slip the other one in.

I have to go talk to a proper mechanic anyway but im just wondering opinions and if its something i can do myself or should i let the pros take care of it. Also anyone know how much i would be charged to do the swap?

Thanks Aaron.

Welcome to the forum!

The old box might be fine after replacing a few shims or bearings. You don't know the condition of the other box - although you could try it and if it doesn't work, drive around with it while your current one gets fixed, then swap 'em back.

Personally I wouldn't do the work myself but I'm an old bastard and don't want my arthritis getting a battering.

If your motor is fine i would just swap the gearboxes over. The motor in your parts car might be no good if its been sitting for a while. And like old tony said your gearbox would be out ready for a rebuild if the parts gearbox is noisy/no good.

I wouldnt swap motors if there is no reason to.

Does the 02 have the same engine? I would imagine it is a ZD30 not the QD32.
I would have no idea if the have the same gearbox but the ZD30 pulls a fair bit harder than the QD32 from my experience.

Welcome as well.

Think I might replace them and get the other fixed. The other engine is a 3.2 aswell both cars are identical. The 3.2 has enough power to be honest was worried about getting the non turbo but it has plenty of power for what it is used for.
Also my rev meter isn't working went under the car and noticed there is two wires that have been pulled out of the gearbox I'm guessing from 4wding. Has anyone got a diagram or something so I know wich wires connect to what.
I struggle to drive manual as it is let alone without my revs lol

Latest posts

Back