Cracking sound under full lock

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scouller

Reaction score
When my 2010 model d22 is under full lock there is a cracking sound coming from the front end. Checked under the car can't pin point anything. Any suggestions??

Mines doing the same ATM, it's a real head turner. Makes for funny faces from people who don't know it' coming. I have the new stop caps in the car just can't be bothered to change them, service guys might throw some on this Friday when the put the new drive shaft etc. in.

Cheers Brad

Sent from Brad's padded cell using Forum Runner

Sometimes mine cracks before full lock and is becoming more often. I took the bash plates off and spuds like it coming from steering arm, but can't be sure. Any advise is appreciated!

I think I might have figured out my problem. I recently put hd tortion bars in and I didn't mark the spline. How do I reindex the tortion bar correctly?

Mate the torsion bar shouldnt matter.If there at the same height it will be fine as long as your not hitting the bump stops. It will be your steering stops.Mine has done it since new in 03 and I have never replaced the plastic caps. Dont frive over bumps on full lock

Also make sure your torsion bar anchors/adjusters are up out of harms way in the cross member

And don't do tight turns into Maccas car parks with a crowd sitting around their 5 " raised bright orange hiluxes, they start to say nasty things about Nissans. Although a quick comment about their choice of paint colour has them rethinking what to say next, :sarcastic:

Ur right, it's not the tortion bars. It's not the steering stops, I've greased them and got plastic covers. The noise is not normal, it is not always under full lock when the crack happens. I've just put a 2 inch iron man lift kit and grinder the lower control arm a little to stop it rubbing and spacers in the back passenger side as they were rubbing, but this noise in the front ends got me beat. HELP!!!

If its a loud single crack, mostly when your causing movement in the TB (ie turning or going up gutters etc) My money is thats its your torsion bars, pull them out and put them back in and make sure they are sitting right. Its casued becasue they just aren't sitting 100% rightand are moving and not just twisting.

Firstly work out which side it is. Mine did the same thing and i was at my wits end casue everything looked fine, redid the left TB and all was good again.

Checked all six body mounts, all r good. Thanks Al. First thing tomorrow I will re do tortion bars just in case.

Is there an easy way to re tension the tb cause I'm over adjusting them ten times to get the right?

If you have the right height and indexing now, i'd suggest getting out the liquid paper pen and marking it all so just putting it back to the markings will get you pretty damn close. Might take a 2nd go after you take it for a quick drive to just get teh heights spot on. Other option is just mark where the indexing is so the TB goes back in the same and measure the bolt length and retighten to that height. When i work on cars i mark everything, so it all goes back easy and correct.

On the hd tb should u be able to see the ends of the splines sticking out each end by about 5 mm?

Mate. Mine makes that very loud crack sound at full lock also. I have talked to a few other nav owners and there's also make this noise.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Forum Runner

@scouller I'll have a look tomorrow, not sure

@bryce mine has stopped making any noises, only getting the steering stop screech now.

Hi Bryce. I think there is a confusion between the tap or screech in the steering stops and the severe cracking that my nav has. It cracks to the point of me not wanting to drive it. The steering stops I can put up with. This crack happens almost every turn, but yet is almost untrackable. I've worked in the car industry for 15 years and today me and three other people had it on the hoist with another person sitting in the car turning from left to right over and over again. We had the bash plates off, has screw drivers against almost every part. The cracking is so loud u would think it would be impossible not to find. The noise happens without maxing out the steering stops. It seems to be getting worse. I wander if the wheel alignment done any thing. Any way there no sign of any contact any where.

Back