CRD and fuel contamination

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooster

Reaction score
Hello Navara lovers. As a newbie I thought I would share a recent experience that should serve as a warning to all owners of common rail diesels.
I live in Broome WA, several months ago I drove to perth stopping every 350 - 450kms for fuel. After refueling at a 24hr depot I had only driven 50kms before the car stared to lose power and run quite rough. Eventually clearing it's self I continued on to perth. On arriving there the Water in Fuel warning light came on, not good I thought.
I took the car to a Nissan Service centre where they removed the fuel tank, flushed and cleaned the fuel lines and replaced the filter. On starting the car the engine had a loud diesel "knock".

I was informed that I had to replace the injectors, fuel pump and common rail at a cost of $10,000.

At the time of writing I am waiting on parts to be delivered to Broome.
I am considering installing a water trap filter similar to the one on my boat, in front of the standard filter as I dont want to have this happen again and with living in the bush the chances of picking up dirty fuel is pretty good.

In case you are wondering, I contacted the fuel company concerned and informed them of above.....as you would expect they denied having dirty fuel and told me basically to bugger off....

So beware, CRD are not as forgiving as Direct injection engines when it comes to fuel contamination.

I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that you got that terminal knock AFTER they cleaned out the entire system....

mate if you kept your reciept for the fuel you have a good chance of claiming
i would follow it up further
i never pay cash for my diesel ,always use a card,that way i have proof of purchase
goodluck
sparra

Thanks Sparra.
liike you I always use a card when buying fuel however, it is exceptionally hard to get a fuel company to admit their fuel is contaminated. This mob had their fuel tested the next day. In the end it's their word against mine and I cant wait months to get my car fixed.
Thank god for insurance.

I had never considered the cost of repairs would be covered by insurance.

Never too old to learn I guess.

Im with you joe, i never new that sort of thing would be covered either, but after reading another post a few months ago, that someone else had there insurance cover a very similar situation i decided to check with my insurer NRMA. At first i was told no it would not be covered. I then rang back and asked to speak to a supervisor, who then looked in a different section of my policy. I was then told i would be covered as it was under the accident section, further more they made a note on my policy to ensure that if it ever did happen that the operator would not try and tell me a different story.

Anyway the trick is not to take no for an answer and keep asking for them to check all avenues.

Guys my insurance did question the initial claim query re this type of accident. I did point out to them that if I had driven into a creek and accidently flooded the whole engine they would cover that, they then agreed that accidently water contamination of fuel is covered. Dont take no for an answer.

Hey man, Ive got an 08 d22 and i just rang Shannon's insurance and they told me its covered if the mechanic has the proof. SWEET AS!!!! All full comprehensive covers include water damage.

Thats part of the reason I got the longrange tank.

Hearing these prices makes the Di motors look better.

$200 for a injector for my ZD30 and $1000 for 1 injector for a YD25CRD.

that makes em 5 times better :to_pick_ones_nose:

Hello Navara lovers. As a newbie I thought I would share a recent experience that should serve as a warning to all owners of common rail diesels.
I live in Broome WA, several months ago I drove to perth stopping every 350 - 450kms for fuel. After refueling at a 24hr depot I had only driven 50kms before the car stared to lose power and run quite rough. Eventually clearing it's self I continued on to perth. On arriving there the Water in Fuel warning light came on, not good I thought.
I took the car to a Nissan Service centre where they removed the fuel tank, flushed and cleaned the fuel lines and replaced the filter. On starting the car the engine had a loud diesel "knock".

I was informed that I had to replace the injectors, fuel pump and common rail at a cost of $10,000.

At the time of writing I am waiting on parts to be delivered to Broome.
I am considering installing a water trap filter similar to the one on my boat, in front of the standard filter as I dont want to have this happen again and with living in the bush the chances of picking up dirty fuel is pretty good.

In case you are wondering, I contacted the fuel company concerned and informed them of above.....as you would expect they denied having dirty fuel and told me basically to bugger off....

So beware, CRD are not as forgiving as Direct injection engines when it comes to fuel contamination.

Mate, I am sorry to hear about your situation.
Did you go the inland route or coast road? I plan to drive down to Perth from Port Hedland (inland route) on Wednesday 26/10 and although i have a 3.0 d22, I was just curious as to what servo you picked the up bad fuel from? I did just had to siphon 50 ltrs out of my tank due to fuel contamination so to say i am a bit worried is a under statement.

Brett

Dave said:

Yeah but ever time something new comes out it takes time too get everything 100% and cheaper. I know they been around for about 6 years now, but there still a fairly new engine. We've been running common rail diesels in trucks for over 15 years and they don't miss a beat and they run in some of the worst condition there are. It just takes time.

True that Brad.

I am assuming use are running Catapillar out there in the pits.

Are 793's running CRD motors ?

Latest posts

Back