Cruise Control

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey kraftypig,

The Nav has enough torque to pretty much do the trip from Sydney to Perth without changing gears more than once or twice. My last crossing in the 3.0 Nav ST-R was fully loaded but not towing and done without CC. It's a long way without CC.

Once you leave the hills coming into South Australia behind, there are no more hills to speak of until you come into the hills just east of Perth. The cruise will do it all in 5th gear in cruise no sweat.

I've done the crossing 5 times now and the most comfortable crossing was in my AU Ford Falcon wagon with cruise about 5 years ago. Drove it solo (as I normally do) and did it in just under 3 days. It's a long trip, made easier by a good Cruise system and kick arse spotties in case you get bad patches of roo's.

There are two nights a week where there are bulk numbers of trucks drive across. I think I remember it being a wednesday night from Ceduna. Sit behind a truck and let them carve a swath through the roos if they're thick, then just avoid the body parts that come tumbling out the back.

I love cruise and my Navs.

DJ

Deejay's correct it's the torque that's making the difference , at 95k- 100k's your pretty much right at the peak torque for these motors, this makes it much easier for the C.C to maintain a constant speed.

I've done the trip a number of times now but not in the Nav. I usually take 5 days to do the trip and average about 800 ks a day because its just easier on me and my gear. I'm over the whole driving all day and all night thing (especially when it's my own vehicle) just to get me some where a little sooner. Living in the bush I've also spent years avoiding roos and wombats at night so this little black duck wont be bouncing too much wildlife off the ute because my nights are now spent sleeping not driving.

As with other trips over to Perth my plan is to let George do most of the driving unless he proves incapable which should only be in the hilly areas and since I bypass Adelaide the only real hills will be Perth which will be mostly down. The way home will be a bit different there wont be no cruise going up the hills out of Perth thats a long drag in any vehicle.

Sorry for you youngens just out of puberty watch Flying High :happy_smile:
Damn I hope it was George, we've been calling all auto pilots George for that long I'm sure it came from that movie. Bloody Alzheimers is kicking in again,

LOL ... George rings a bell for me.

CC isn't a bad thing on flat ground and I don't mind using mine especially when I want to cruise past a speed camera at 1km under the limit.

I suppose it'll become perfection when they install look-ahead radar and inclinometers. I did notice that, on a steep descent, if I touch my brake pedal, my car will automatically kick into a lower gear and engine brake for me, allowing me to take my foot off the brake. Could be luck, might be a fluke, may not see it after the Nissan guys fiddle with it at its next service, but I definitely like it.

I'd rather the CC be a little smarter - rather than laying in the boot to get up to speed, it should gradually accelerate over time like a real driver would. Try this: set your speed at 80km/h, brake for a corner (say) and at 45km/h hit the "Resume" button. My car goes "Right, light the JATO!" and we're all left listening to the thing howl as the CC goes shotgun on the fuel tank.

Smarts like that take time, I guess.

Oh wouldn't it be nice if CC was ever that clever then all we'd need is navigational aids that do the steering and we can be like Micheal Knight. (once again for all the youngens search for Knight Rider :aetsch: )

The drag racing feeling has always been an issue with CC units but then it usually only takes one time before you realise you are much better speeding up to the limit your way not the car's way.

The engine brake idea is also a good one I've noticed it a few times. Autos have always been their own worst enemies when it comes to engine braking but I don't mind the Nav's.

We used to have a driver at our depot who turned the engine brakes off in the trucks because they accelerated faster. His brother was a long haul truckie and told him that all B Doubles have the ability to turn the jakes on and off so that they can accelerate from the lights quicker. Whether the mechanics of an engine brake system all that sort of operation or not is beside the point, just how bloody fast do you need to get 60 tonnes off from the traffic lights, I'm sure not many of them have broken land speed records in take off.

Used the Cruise Control extensively whilst towing our 21ft van this year.
As soon as Im out in the open CC goes on and I sit back and enjoy the ride.
Always tow in 4th gear regardless of terrain and set the CC between 85-90kph. Cruise along all day this way especially down the west coast and across the nullarbor.

Jeff:captain:

Used the Cruise Control extensively whilst towing our 21ft van this year.
As soon as Im out in the open CC goes on and I sit back and enjoy the ride.
Always tow in 4th gear regardless of terrain and set the CC between 85-90kph. Cruise along all day this way especially down the west coast and across the nullarbor.

Jeff:captain:

I'm more a 90-95kph person especially out in the middle of nowhere when doing 100 or more isn't really going to make much difference to your trip considering how far it is between accommodation sites. I wont be towing anything but still happy to hear someone's happy with their CC on a Nav.

I'm talking about the standard CC on a Nav D40. I don't know who makes the nav's cruise and I'm not sure if it's different on every model but I'd assume they are all fairly similar units given how they work.

Back