Custom Tub Draws Build Up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trublu

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Been thinking about sorting out some sort of draw system for the back of the nav so i can get rid of the crap plastic tubs we usually have in the back seat when we go camping and 4bing. We used the tubs to store all the cooking utensils, spare parts and other random stuff. I had a look at the store bought ones like black widow and arb, but the prices they charge for what they are is just ridiculus like alot of other 4wd gear. I also wanted the draws to be fairly easy to take in and out because i do a bit of gardening every now and then and i wanted to be able to still use the tub for soil and other stuff. So i thort how hard can it be to build my own? I haven't got a canopy yet so i thort id just start with two draws on top of each other and a fridge next to that and try and keep it low enough for the tonneau cover to keep most of the rain out. I'll do a proper setup with the false floor, third battey, water tank and what not later on when i get a canopy. So i'll just be doing them bit by bit when i get the time and funds.

So i started the other weekend just before the long weekend cause we were heading up to Jurien Bay for that weekend. This is what i started with.

P1010373_zps2886fbca.jpg

I got a couple of boards of marine ply through work and used a few offcuts lying around the place. So i did a few measurements and had a basic base to go from.

P1010375_zps1a1e6c84.jpg

Then worked out how big i could make my draw boxes and knocked them up.

P1010379_zpsc015d2de.jpg

I was gonna get a proper fridge slide but im not a millionaire. i can't believe companys charge like 300 bucks for a bit of metal, plus i like working out other ways to do stuff myself. Unfortunately i dont know how to weld or fabracate yet, so i ended up using a bit of 33mm chipboard with four holes cut out for the feet on the engel to sit in. And it seemed to work well. Although i used a set of 600mm runners on the fridge slide when i went camping and they got destroyed. So i've orderd a set of heavy duty runners that lock in and lock out that can hold up to 250kgs.

P1010430_zps1290916a.jpg

P1010384_zps7dba48f4.jpg

Knocked up the draws, i made them as big as i possibly could. All the cutlery stuff, coffee, oil etc. fitted nicely in the top draw and the spare parts and even the recovery gear behind the back seat fitted in the bottom one.

P1010390_zps69182bab.jpg

P1010391_zps1796d861.jpg

Got some marine carpet and alluminium c channel from the new Masters in Ellenbrook. Real handy being down the road. The marine carpet was easier to put on then i thought it was gonna be, and I was suprised at how well the contact held. I also got a couple of little locks to throw on to keep thieving bastards out of them and they also hold the draws in too.

P1010417_zpsc0fc2597.jpg

P1010422_zps3604d0f5.jpg

P1010423_zpsbd1469b1.jpg

P1010424_zps490bf78a.jpg

This is as far as i've got so far, waiting on the fridge runners to come in. Apparently cause there so heavy they had to come over on a ship? Not sure if the bloke was full quid, but you get that.
So im pretty happy with them at the moment, so much easier having everything right there easy to get to.

Don't buy a cheap slide mate. I did and I'm now paying for it. When the fridge is fully loaded the slides work well but it has bent the lock out and lock in stoppers. Have to remember to hold the latch in, massive annoyance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up dude. I defiantly believe you get what you pay for with most things, like tools, but i rekon these runners im getting, screwed to the chipboard will be all sweet. Time will tell i guess.

P.S I just saw the Gillard devil smiley thing, classic hahaha.

Wow mate thats awesome, I Just started building mine this weekend past.
im trying to keep everything under the hard cover thou.
Which adhesive did you use for the carpet?

dont buy slides at all just go buy a cheap set of roller blades and rob the bearings out of them and make your own slides. pics in my build thread but basically run four bearing on the bottom and two above those with a gap between the for a bit of rhs to run between them. works a treat costs next to nothing.

Hey mike 1303, i just used the same contact we use for laminating benchtops, sprayed on with a spray gun. Theres one you can get in an aerosol can called "Starstuck". Wicked sticky stuff, be careful with it thou, cause as soon as you touch the two surfaces together your gonna have a hard time getting them apart in one piece.

go see a motor trimmer they will have contact adhesive or high heat glue that can be put through a spray gun like said above, spray both surfaces let them go nearly touch dry then wack em together. Its worth about $100 a drum (20ltrs) at cost so its not overly dear.

Back