d21 td27 turbo kit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no airbox on any D21 diesel, as they use a round element directly on top of the intake manifold like an old carby motor.

My 92 WD21 Terrano with the TD27T has got an airbox in a similar position to your in the picture. I'll try and get a picture of it

Yeah Terranos had one, but if you've got the airbox from a Terrano, you probably also have the engine from a Terrano, and you're not in the market for a turbo kit :big_smile:

I have done the very same mod. High flowed c18 turbo on my trerrano.
I used the stock manifold and just had to make up a few pipes other than that it bolts on.
I hate the stock manifold as its all 90 degree turns. It makes more power abover 3500 and will pull happily to 4500 now on about 20 psi boost.
Im going to make a new manifold to get it to spool sooner and hopefully to make some more boost as well. I can post some pics later if your interested

Any updates Im keen to see what you come up with.

update . . . since of a bit of a lack of interest and a huge lack of enough time to do this job from start to finish . . . i decided to investigate a compound setup .

in messing around with a gt15 and a gt2528 . computer program states 12 psi at 1100 rpm holding solid to 4500 rpm

just investigating at this stage , but having almost instant boost is enticing . . . the gt15 is only the size of a marg tub tho so it will be interesting to see if i can make it work . . . if not ill go back to standard plan anyway !

also shows 20 psi from 1500 to well above 5000

theoretically speaking so Im looking into it . . . also relocating the altenator is going to be fun

it seems i have hit a hurdle

after posting my update it was fresh on my mind so i started talking to one of the truckies on site , who also is a diesel mech who has played with this very concept on some of his trucks with great success . . . how ever i have a few oversights and may have to abandon ship .

i chose a small turbo for my primary turbo because i wanted the ability to create boost as soon as possible , tho after showing him the printouts it seems the amount , velocity , not to mention heat energy of the td27 at idle he feels the little 1.2L donor turbo would be trying to create boost at idle . . . this creates 2 main issues . . . being the system is trying to push boost against a resistance and the other being engine run away which Im thinking is quite likely . the only option being some sort of electronic bypass for exhaust at idle to bypass my little snail . . . the fact i just completely overlooked that i needed 2 wastegates and the fact that i was just thinking i could reflash the ecu . . . and could run into issues with getting fuel to the sucker to kick off the whole show . . .

so more research is needed . a deeper understanding is required . more parts need to be taken into consideration . . .

after speaking to someone who has made the mistakes and actually nutted the show out i am re thinking this over .

more info / options to come , but its looking likely inn continue the normal plan

seems the altenator moving is the least of my worries . . .

Reflashing the ecu ???
Do you have the electronic pump of a terrano 2

Reflashing the ecu ???
Do you have the electronic pump of a terrano 2

no i don't it is infact mechanical and Im a ecu bloke . all of the Mitsubishi lancers evolutions that i work on as SKH Performance all have ecu tuning and injector options , and so does the light automotive petrol engines i work on at work . . . so not having enough knowledge on injection pumps ect i have organised to stay back on a weekend with our guy who just does injector pumps and our hydraulics , and we will rebuild one of the excavator ones so i have the opportunity to learn about them properly in enough depth .

anything is achievable with the right parts , resources , and knowledge . . . so Im building the knowledge . . . id like to learn , that is the real motivation not because its the best old truck or the most suitable or there is no better options on other vehicles

just cos the rough and tumble work truck is there , the turbo's are on the shelf in the shed , material is already here and . . . well yeah

Oh I see. I just reread what you wrote. I thought you had said you were going to reflash the ecu.

Yeah mechanical pumps are a bit different but when you get used to them they are not that hard

i chose a small turbo for my primary turbo because i wanted the ability to create boost as soon as possible , tho after showing him the printouts it seems the amount , velocity , not to mention heat energy of the td27 at idle he feels the little 1.2L donor turbo would be trying to create boost at idle . . . this creates 2 main issues . . . being the system is trying to push boost against a resistance and the other being engine run away which Im thinking is quite likely .

Nothing wrong with boost at idle. What resistance? The valves? You can't have any positive pressure (boost) without some sort of resistance.

Engine run away? No way you can have this unless you're leaking oil into the intake tract. Diesels are fuel-throttled, not air-throttled.

The only issue I can potentially see is that small turbo restricting air flow through your intake and exhaust tracts as you approach redline. Exhaust side is not such an issue as you could use an oversized wastegate, but you'd have to get more creative on the intake side.

the only option being some sort of electronic bypass for exhaust at idle to bypass my little snail . . . the fact i just completely overlooked that i needed 2 wastegates and the fact that i was just thinking i could reflash the ecu . . . and could run into issues with getting fuel to the sucker to kick off the whole show . . .

No need for it to be electronic, you could do it all using pressure. Fuel is not an issue - have a boost compensator fitted to your pump and get the pump dyno tuned.

actually you just made a great point dion . . . as far as wastegates go ill just run 2 38mm external . also the run away apparently is on one of our coal seem gas sites , and apparently there is a chance that residual gas MAY act as fuel . i cleared that up with my boss and its only should that situation arise i can't drive my ute . i misunderstood this as being a constant thing where its only a worst case scenario that if the gas got into it could act as fuel and just keep rising till boom .

how i understand it in the petrol performance world is that a compressor housing is just that , a compressor housing . . . so it compresses what ever it gets ( atmospheric pressure i was told is 14.5 psi ) and further compresses that to create boost . which i understand is just pressure over atmospheric in the engine . so running a 0.20 a/r compressor primary fed by a 0.46 a/r secondary compressor housing is the least of my worries because the smaller turbo does not know or care its swallowing atmospheric pressure or pre fed boosted pressure it just does its thing .

on the exhaust side the primary turbo sits on the manifold , its through flow feeds the secondary larger turbo . when i get my desired pressure , the wastegates is fed directly from the comp housing , the primary wastegates opens and also flows to the feed of the secondary turbo , so as not to over spool . the secondary larger turbo is now getting a full feed . when its comp housing signals its separate waste gate it then just dumps into the actual exhaust housing . . . so the larger turbo is doing the work and the smaller turbo is essentially and theoretically free wheeling at the required boat level because the larger turbo actually pushes into the smaller comp housing signaling smaller wastegates to continue to send all gases to larger turbo . . .

i hope that all makes sense . . . i also found a place to move the alt but that poses another issue . . . i will have to run oil drains to some sort of catch can and then somehow pump it back to the block return . . . lucky this ute is not used for off roading just worksites , an arse full of heavy tools or pulling the camper trailer or shooting . . .

i hope i have not lost anyone ! . Im sure your tech mind gets where Im trying to head dion ! lol

Last edited:
Nice that will work well
Your right atmo is 14.7 psi. the turbo will not care what pressure its getting and just add to that pressure. They get them over 100 psi in the drag trucks. I have heard up to 160 psi. Not sure how the head gasket on the td27 will handle that. However I would look seriously at the exhaust manifold as all that boost and power still has to get out of the terrible stock exhaust manifold. Or are you changing it

i will either use my one i make which locates the turbo smack in the middle or tig up another one due to the possible relocate for both snails . . .i use butweld flange and run modular design with the best match between practicality and tuned length runners to the collector

OK, same as I am doing
this is my setup to date I haven't started the manifold. I'm just waiting for a head to turn up so I can position everything. I use butt welds as well.
006-9.jpg

ok . . . well still having issues with trying to work out how to get the oil drain back to the block return !.

dion , your expertise would be a real help here ! ! .

my experience with external oil pumps have been only with dry sump setups on the 4g63t . . . Im kewl with fabricating a catch can but how would i pump it back up to the block drain ? . what pump should i use and how do i spec such a pump aol as it flows enough back to the sump and so as not to run dry and ruin the pump

ideas guys ? ! ? .

Ok well if you dont mind I will post some pics in here as I go along with my one as this thread seems a little slow. Here is my one to date. Im just putting together a dummy turbo so I can mount it up correctly
I have a spare head as you can see to mount it up on and will hopefully make the manifold up next week. I have made the merge collector already and just have to get the flange for the turbo now
033.jpg

ok . . . well still having issues with trying to work out how to get the oil drain back to the block return !.

dion , your expertise would be a real help here ! ! .

my experience with external oil pumps have been only with dry sump setups on the 4g63t . . . Im kewl with fabricating a catch can but how would i pump it back up to the block drain ? . what pump should i use and how do i spec such a pump aol as it flows enough back to the sump and so as not to run dry and ruin the pump

ideas guys ? ! ? .

...I don't understand why you need an external pump?

There is a thread on this forum about turboing the QD32, that has pictures which point out where the supply and return ports are on the block (TD block is the same)

A 'catch can' goes on the PCV line between rocker cover and intake.

because of the position of the 2 turbo and the altenator . to move the altenator to allow the secondary turbo means i have to move the altenator down , and it has the vacume pump thing that needs a drain . the joys of learning compound turbocharging

single turbo would be fine .

Back