D22 2.5D Noise when under load

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ What he said, GU Patrol ZD30 has 9-% of the issues.

The D22 ZD30's were reliable.

Oh and reving it at like 1000rpm in 4th ain't helping, there a low compression diesel.

I dont even reckon a TD27 would like doing those revs in 4th.

Mine is the CR. Since I put the exhaust clamp on noise is gone. I did pop into Nissan though and spoke to the service guys. They said this is common because its just cheap thin metal. They usually either hose clamp or remove the heatshield.

hey guys, about rattle noises...
I started to hear one in my yd25 mainly when down gearing. turned out to be the tensioner for the timing chain. the chain was rattling against the casing. lucky i found the problem when i did because if the chain goes its time for a new motor! Nissan quoted me $3-4k to do the timing chain job. i ended up getting it done for about $700 from a nissan wreckers in williamstown.

Apparently this is starting to come up in the d22 yd25s...

Just to revive an old thread.

I have a vibration which is more of a noise. Sounds very exhausty but can not find any exhaust leak. The vibration causes the air cleaner to make a growling noise which I can make it do out of gear stopped in the driveway or driving under load. It can sound like the old 4cyl engine with a loud exhaust note. but not loud from outside.

If I hold down the air cleaner it stops. I can hardly feel the vibration and definitely not coming through any of the controls.

Did anyone find an answer???

Thanks
Dave

How are you guys getting nissan to check your cr 2.5 under warranty cause every time i take mine in there for an engine rattle that sounds like timing chain slap to me the drive it round the block and say its all good but im still not convinced.

Guys after I christened my new truck with a full weekend of decent off roading mine no longer makes the noise. Not sure why exactly but maybe something bedded in after a good run?

Do these engines have balance shafts that could fall out of timing ?

Someone else suggested it could be from the dual mass flywheel needs replacing.

Does that sound possile?

im very interested to find out about this timing chain thingmine is just out of warenty is there a way to check that everything is where it should be mine has had a rattel since new and same thing nissan said it was normal also they told me timing chain was good for life of car does thet mean it should have a lifetime warenty cause as has been said already if it snaps it takes the motor with it ,,,,,, more info please

cant believe im the first person to say this BUT....

its a diesel - of course it is going to rattle! Under load (eg high dynamic compression ratios) they have a tendency to detonate the fuel rather than burn it slowly... hence the 'rattle/ping' sound.

Especially pronounced at low-rpm/high-load, as at higher rpms dynamic compression ratios fall... That said I find min rattles around 4000rpm.

As for timing chains, most are dual-row, and i'd be very surprised if they ever gave you much grief.

Dont tjink d22 has a dual mass (i could be wrong)

That sorts that possibilty out - Thanks

cant believe im the first person to say this BUT....

its a diesel - of course it is going to rattle! Under load (eg high dynamic compression ratios) they have a tendency to detonate the fuel rather than burn it slowly... hence the 'rattle/ping' sound.

Especially pronounced at low-rpm/high-load, as at higher rpms dynamic compression ratios fall... That said I find min rattles around 4000rpm.

As for timing chains, most are dual-row, and i'd be very surprised if they ever gave you much grief.

In my case it's not the normal diesel engine vibration, it's a fine vibration like harmonics. It causes the air box to make a noise like the old "hot dog" type resonators in the exhaust. If you grab the air box and hold it really tight it stops, it's getting worse every time I drive it.

Did anyone ever work out this noise? Mine has developed a loud growl or rumble from the passenger side foot well. Only happens on hills when revving out 1st and 2nd.

Putting the foot down hard in 1st and 2nd on a flat or down hill the noise is not there. Checked out under the car and couldn't find any points where the exhaust might be hitting the firewall or chassis.

well whats on the passanger side foot well area in the engine bay ? a Turbo and a Dump Pipe with a Cat fitted. [ unless its been deleted ] sounds like nothing to do with the timing chain more so a noise in the turbo.

Did anyone ever work out this noise? Mine has developed a loud growl or rumble from the passenger side foot well. Only happens on hills when revving out 1st and 2nd.

Putting the foot down hard in 1st and 2nd on a flat or down hill the noise is not there. Checked out under the car and couldn't find any points where the exhaust might be hitting the firewall or chassis.
If you have an aftermarket exhaust crawl under with a torch and check again, under load or hard acceleration the exhaust does move with the whole motor and "just" rubs.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust crawl under with a torch and check again, under load or hard acceleration the exhaust does move with the whole motor and "just" rubs.

I had a 3 inch dump pipe fitted onto what was a sunshine coast 2 inch custom dump pipe back system a couple months ago. Also had a flex pipe put in after that to stop a rattle that was happening on the gearbox cross member mount further back.

It was fine for a few weeks after that but this noise has slowly started over the last couple weeks. Used to be only occasionally but now I can get it to happen on any incline. I can't see any rub marks where the exhaust is close to other surfaces and there is not much movement if i grab the exhaust with both hands and swing off it. Maybe i'll try some of that stick on heat shield where ever the exhaust is close to another surface and see if it dulls down the noise.

What would an exhaust leak sound like and would it only happen in certain gears?

I'll take another look...the only flange that's reasonably close to anything now is where the dump pipe connects to the rest of the system.

Thinking over the time the flex joint has loosened up a bit and is allowing it to move more under load then when it first got fitted?

Latest posts

Back