d22 4wd systems lokka family

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navd22yd25cr

Reaction score
I know officially have a lokka in my front diff any wanna know what Im going to expect?

Sounds stupid but yes ive done my research and know what a locker is and how much better it is but wanna here it from you guys.

Ive gone through 2 diffs, 2 cv joints and wanna know what was the first things you noticed when trying the locker for the first time and how much your driving style has changed.

Cheers guys!

you dont have to hit things as hard, it will just walk up stuff that it used to hop and jump around on. steering is heavier but nothing to bad, you will find yourself in 2wd more offten to free up the steering, it will want to send you bush on the dirt roads with tourqe steeer but once your used to it you know how to drive. sand driving is fine, you harly notice it. would be one of the best mods to do on these trucks!!

cheers
bryan

I was about to buy a new standard diff and found a guy who was selling his diff with a lokka already put in for $500

Soooo happpy saved so much money hahha

Pulled it apart and checked to see if anything was damaged but all sweet. No metal shavings in the oil, nothing.

Has to be the buy of the year for me. I paid 600 each time for my diff but 3rd time lucky got a diff with a lokka already put in.

Is ot true the lokka brand disengages when i wanna steer? I read on the 4wd systems it does?

Sorry guy havent actually installed the diff yet. Need a cv joint haha

I had stock standard then put a lokka in and shortly after i hit a dune too hard resulting it dead lokka + front diff.

Costly exercise, leaving it standard now.
Haven't noticed too much difference without the lokka still goes up dunes easy enough

you dont have to hit things as hard, it will just walk up stuff that it used to hop and jump around on. steering is heavier but nothing to bad, you will find yourself in 2wd more offten to free up the steering, it will want to send you bush on the dirt roads with tourqe steeer but once your used to it you know how to drive. sand driving is fine, you harly notice it. would be one of the best mods to do on these trucks!! cheers bryan

100% agree with Bryan

If you treat them with respect,they will last a long time and so will your CV's and other vital components. They are a great cheap lokka and go very well with the LSD in the rear.
Slow and steady is all you need.
Have fun with it, you will be very surprised how much it increases your four-wheel-drive capabilities.

Happy 4bing mate

Cheers Geoff

YEP!GOT A V6 'BUT I LIKE TO CUSTOMISE.

with my d21 (same diffs really)
i smashed the crown-wheel trying to climb things.
next one in was a welded one...pretty much second time out, same shit, crown-wheel teeth.
previous to my d21 i had a MQ patrol, after getting stuck lots i welded the front diff in this and never had an issue.

With welded you could use 1st low and climb climb with no need for power or speed.
welded had no give, so steering allways wanted to return to center regardless.
with manual hubs i just left the passanger side on, did normal driving...coming up to something hard i locked the drivers side...annoying yes, but not as annoying as driving with the constant RTC of the steering + your turning circle goes out the window to.

why am i blabing on about this? background for the lokka.

so now i have a d22 and knowing the navara can be verry ill equiped off road, once of my first mods was a lokka.
i say ill equiped, as when your driving with an unloaded rear, it will allways bounce and lose traction, meaning your nice LSD diff means nothing, as you have no grip.
with the fron only doing singles, as soon as its in the air, game over, no longer moving.

anyway
Lokka - 1st time i had it in it was not installed correctly and it was exactly like a welded diff (ohnoes). but out it came and in it went correctly adjusted.

now i hope you understand how the lokka works
- both wheels locked, unless one has enough force to overrun the other, in whitch case it can spin faster than the other - but its not given the chance to spin slower than the input.

Lokka in many way feels like a welded diff on many surfaces.

sand - cool, does pull, turning - both wheels same speed, has a tendicance to dig in your inside wheel...could get you in trouble, but as you have positive traction you do need to power out. otherwise, much much the same....you dont notice the RTC steering afect so much, unless you boot it, whitch case you will in any terrain.

lose surface, once again much the same as sand, the more solid the surface the more RTC affect you will get.

less lose sand, you will get more of a RTC feel, however on turning, your wheel has enough grip to over run the diff and is way way better to turn corners (remember comparing to welded)

bitumen, i only tried to corner once, yes the overrunning allowed the car to turn, but it was still 4 wheel positive traction and the car was fighting itself F/R more than it would normally...not recommended to have engaged on good traction surface anyway.

so in summary, the lokka will allow your nav to go places, with positive traction, so you do not need speed.
in theory if your not using speed, its way harder for you to break a CV. i have never broken one yet, so i don't know much here.

I say the lokka is a great addition for the regular off-roader on a budget, as it will transform your cars ability's.

obviously the best thing would be some sort of E/air lokka that you can turn on and off from inside cabin, so you can have proper turning ability then 100 positive traction on demand....but given these systems are still 3-4 times the lokka cost they arent allways obtainable for everyone.

- my thoughts.

Here you go mate,
This is all the information about them
From 4wd Systems.....

LOKKA Differential Locker

LOKKA is a fully automatic Differential Lock that does not require manual operation. It doesn't have switches, external lines, electric or pneumatic controls of any sort.
It relies on a simple mechanical design which makes use of two distinct sets of forces - the "ground driven" forces acting on a wheel when cornering (that force an outside wheel to turn faster) and the forces from the engine (power) turning the differential and axles.

The combination of these two sets of opposing forces and the LOKKA design allow the automatic engagement and disengagement of the driving gears when a vehicle turns or requires differential action.

Wheel slippage or a loss of traction can occur for many reasons off-road and include excess throttle, fast approach speeds, limitations in wheel travel (especially independent front suspension vehicles), weight transfer off drive wheels and slippery surfaces such as mud, sand, snow, shale, wet grass etc.

In many of these circumstances both the normal standard differential and LSD centre will allow the wheels with the least resistance to spin. Thus the wheels with traction do not obtain any real drive and the vehicle will lose speed or stop. LSD centres might assist under these circumstances but only if they are in good condition and only if there is enough resistance on the spinning wheels to activate the clutch pack or gears to force drive to the wheels with traction.
Even a new LSD will allow a lifted wheel to spin freely with no drive to the wheel with traction.

LOKKA overcomes the traction deficiency of the standard differential and LSD centre to ensure that a 50:50 power split is achieved when driving, irrespective of ground (or air !) conditions, yet at the same time still allowing differential action when cornering on hard ground.

Whether fitted to front or rear or both differentials, Traction Performance is significantly improved in all situations.

LOKKA enjoys an excellent reputation for reliability throughout the world – sold in every continent, in all realms of 4x4 and 2x4 performance activity.

Australian Warranty Statement

A 3 Year Unconditional Warranty is provided for LOKKA products.
Free Wheel Hubs in Part Time Conversion Kits have 1 Year Warranty

Lokka Typical Components Assembly Relationship Axle gear, Spacer, Cam Gear

Lokka Typical Components Assembly Relationship Axle gear, Spacer, Cam Gear

Lokka Typical Components

PDF Downloads

Australian 4WD Action LOKKA feature article
Installation 4 Pinion
Installation 2 Pinion
Toyota LSD Replacement

Recommendations

Aaron O of QLD
Holden Rodeo 2WD
My friend and I installed my Lokka into my 2wd rodeo on the weekend. It works a treat! There are so many places I can go now. Normally I would be afraid to take on wet muddy grass, but now I can do powerslides through it! Thanks alot for a great product.
Clay A of QLD
hi i purchased a Lokka off ur company last year for the patrol.. extremly happy with it.. was wondering the price and availability on another one
John H of NSW
Installed the locker on the wkend bit of work but nothing to complicated. As you well know majority of the time is soaked up in getting it out. Have to put it through its paces when I go to the cape in august. Thanks again for time look forward to doing business with you in the future.

Cheers Geoff

YEP!GOT A V6 'BUT I LIKE TO CUSTOMISE.

Cheers for the reading fellas, ive read all the ibfo from 4wd systems.

Now cant wait to test it!

Whats the lokka like in a muddy rutt?

Installed the new diff and done a lock test as 4wd instructed and its all good!!!

Cant wait to test it out!!!!!!

Im still cheering!!! $500 diff+lokka hopefully its worth it!

Latest posts

Back