d22 intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just said 4x4 as thats the subject in this case 4x4str .... Generally only effective if you can get a good cold water supply running through them which is pretty obvious with any heat exchanger To take the heat out of the charge air

Last edited:
just said 4x4 as thats the subject in this case 4x4str .... Generally only effective if you can get a good cold water supply running through them which is pretty obvious with any heat exchanger To take the heat out of the charge air

Aha. That makes sense. I assumed as long as you had a quality heat exchanger with reservoir bottle then you would be do a pretty good job at getting the water cool? Obviously I'm no expert here, just going by what I've seen and read and heard. I posted somewhere that I was thinking of w2a, heat exchanger attached to underside of bonnet (so it lifts when the bonnet is raised and gets out if the way of the engine) with a large Pootrol style scoop, with a thermo fan for the heat exchanger.

I suppose without air flow on the heat exchanger, it would heat up the water then heat up the intercooler? Sort of having the same effect as a top mount intercooler getting heat soak while doing slow speeds.

I've heard front mounts are crap for turbo lag, which is what we need to fix.

So what's your thoughts on all that?

Yeh definitely not liking that setup( because of lack of air flow)... I have been able to get some w2a coolish but need a massive exchanger getting good air flow at the front of the car .... Usually in a w2a people only set them up with about maybe 5litres of heat exchanging fluid ... When it goes through the core it sees 130degree hot air then pumps out and that little exchanger has to cool it to at least ambient air temp would be nice then the water gets pumped back to the core again to try cool 130degrees again...

As for lag with reasonable size piping it shouldnt have that big of an effect there are a few front mount owners which would probably agree. I will record the changes when testing my kit though

Hey ben ... Thats on the passenger side of the rad support upright where the horn is?

What about total width of the winch? Im guessing its mounted centered?

Im keen to see you get this off the ground so I can buy one off you, so I took some pics as well to try and help, they aren't very good tho.

Its a 2004 with factory fitted steel bar and winch.

The end of the tape is butted against the concertina plate on the side of the bulbar, the ruler is hard up to the air con condenser.

I spent a fair bit of time measuring up for a front mount a while back, and the only way to fit one I could see was to keep the ic alongside the central upright, against the air con condenser with a small gap.

There is maybe 70mm between the upright and the winch cable, but there is no way id put an ic core that close to the winch barrel.

Attachments

• ic measurement 001.jpg
    ic measurement 001.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 160
  • ic measurement 002.jpg
    ic measurement 002.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 167
  • ic measurement 003.jpg
    ic measurement 003.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Thanks mate.... Am i seeing from ac to winch is 11cms?

I made a mock cooler for the winch guys today using my original piping but with a change to a core that aits to the right side of the upright... Its only a small cooler but decent design an good flow with short pipes to keep lag down

I made a mock cooler for the winch guys today using my original piping but with a change to a core that aits to the right side of the upright... Its only a small cooler but decent design an good flow with short pipes to keep lag down

what size core?

Hey ben ... Thats on the passenger side of the rad support upright where the horn is?

What about total width of the winch? Im guessing its mounted centered?

yep passenger side.

not sure on the width of the winch, i think they're all about the same. and yes its mounted centred.

28x16 .... 14 Tubes horizontal on the 28 and 16cm length of tubes

When i say small i mean small compared to the original front mount i designed.... But actually about the same size core as others in the market fitted in this position

28x16 .... 14 Tubes horizontal on the 28 and 16cm length of tubes

When i say small i mean small compared to the original front mount i designed.... But actually about the same size core as others in the market fitted in this position

That sounds awesome. When do you think youll have them ready? Any pics of what you've got so far?

just wondering if i needed barbed alloy joiners or i could get away with using straight alloy pipe and cut to size, to join the silicone hoses for my intercooler...
i might wait until i see fore fronts front mount before i continue on the top mount i originally was looking to install...

So i made 2 models .... A winch model (which is only a small core) and a non winch model which is a big front mount..... The winch model sits out 11cms from the aircon condenser which by the pics sent in by members should clear most winches.... Was a huge mission to make.

Both are in being mass produced now .... Took a bit longer then i thought as winch model was a mission and i wanted both to use the sames pipework to a certain point

Latest posts

Back