D22 Long Range Fuel Tank Capacity?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Guys....

I've got a Long Ranger Long Range Tank which is plated at a capacity of 125ltrs.... On my recent re-fill I managed to put in 113ltrs in, which meant that there was only 12ltrs left. The bottom surface area is quite large and only having 12ltrs left, I would have thought it would have struggled to pick up the fuel with that little amt of fuel spread over that large surface area.....

So, my question is.... how accurate is these figures that are stamped on the Manufacturers Plate? I usually always fill up the tank until I see the fuel at the inlet, so surely the filler hose wouldn't much either??

I'm not sure how much of the supposedly 125ltrs u can use.... what's other people's experiences been ??

Rob

While I don't have a D22, I have a Long Ranger and have put a few tanks of fuel in.

My capacity is supposed to be 150L, and the most I've ever squeezed in is 149.14L (6 Jun 2012, Shell at Mayfield).

That could have been 144.6L (3% error is allowed by the regulations). It's still scary, I suppose, that there was as little as 6L in the bottom of the tank. I guess that's why some people are better at designing fuel tanks and pickups than others!

Normally the tanks have baffles in to prevent foaming and also fuel surge when the tank gets low. From the outside the tank might look big, but they are designed internally with that in mind when they actually build them

Have the 125l in my rig. Most ive squeezed in is 120L. Ive heard through the dealer that from empty you can sometimes fill 130L to top of filler. I always fill to the top of filler.

Rusty

Remember you have a few litres in the fuel lines, I've put 76.2L in my D22 when it's supposed to only take 75L

aren't you guys worried about sucking up all the crap at the bottom of the tank? I fill up as soon as the fuel light comes on.

The fuel pickup is in the bottom anyway, and fuel is drawn from there regardless of how much is in the tank. Hopefully there isn't too much crap getting into the tank in the first place!

Even though there's baffles built into them, there's still holes drilled into the baffles to allow the fuel to flow between the different sections..... so, unless the holes are drilled above the bottom of the tank, then the fuel can still flow and having that little fuel over that surface area I'm surprised it is able to suck up the fuel.....
I had a TJM large Aux Tank in my old 60's cruiser and when there was 20ltrs left in the tank when I use to run out.... I then had the tank modified to have a small bowl welded to the bottom of the tank where the pickup was located..... This worked great and I could basically suck the tank to 100% dry if I wanted to..... plus I always run dual fuel filters as well....

The fuel pickup is in the bottom anyway, and fuel is drawn from there regardless of how much is in the tank. Hopefully there isn't too much crap getting into the tank in the first place!

Yea but knowing the quality of diesel in Australia there is probably crap built up in the tank, I would be interested to see whats in the bottom of mine, probably more of an issue for CR engines though I still worry about my ZD30, injectors/fuel pumps are not cheap

I got held up behind a hilux driver taking forever to fill his tank turns out he was filling up through a pair of his wife's stockings to filter out any crap in the servo tank.

Mine takes 125 litres...filled it from new

Reserve light comes on with 3 to 7 litres approx left in the tank

This from an original thread...obviously my level switch has changed since new..or there is a time factor involved with the light coming on---signal X has to be registered for Y seconds / minutes

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=14451

Last edited:
Mine takes 125 litres...filled it from new

Reserve light comes on with 3 to 7 litres approx left in the tank

This from an original thread...obviously my level switch has changed since new..or there is a time factor involved with the light coming on---signal X has to be registered for Y seconds / minutes

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=14451

WOW... and that's filling it right to the top where u can see the fuel in the inlet? I would have thought it would take slightly more than that.... maybe 130ltrs ??

With the light coming on I would say that is dependant on the fuel lever inside the tank.... Mine comes on anywhere when there's 15>20 ltrs still in the tank

Pushed it to another level....reserve light came on..managed 37 kms...knew it was really low..and the last 5kms I was switching the motor off at traffic lights

either pump is BS or there was literally a teaspoon left in it

Yeah, I reckon they take more than the quoted 125ltrs..... U done well to be able to get it down to that level considering the large surface area too....

Pushed it to another level....reserve light came on..managed 37 kms...knew it was really low..and the last 5kms I was switching the motor off at traffic lights

either pump is BS or there was literally a teaspoon left in it

Wish my diesel was that cheap, paying 160.9 lately.

Don't forget the tank capacity is 125L but you've got a filler pipe too, and the bowser won't click off until fuel is in the pipe.

There might also be variations in production or their calculations for volume of the tank too, which means you end up with a small amount of extra capacity. A smart company would err on that side, so that you could never fill it in a controlled test and say "You buggers sold me a 125L tank but in reality it only holds 124.4L!!"

Latest posts

Back