D22 Rear Axle Failure

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuthanav

Reaction score
Hi All,
Thought I might post this up as a testament to the longevity of the Navara driveline.
I had to replaced the the centre bearing in our D22 at 381000Klms and 13yo. Not a bad result I would have thought.

However, immediately after found that there was a vibration in the driveline which had never been there before.

Turned out to be the LSD plates. They had worn so thin over time and distance that they had fractured into pieces lying in the bottom of the diff bowl. Of course the oil was then "sparkly".

My view is that the carrier bearings then became effected giving off vibrations because they were r****d.

Got a second hand complete hub to hub axle and slipped it in. All good.
Haven't bothered to rebuild the original diff yet but I will just for a spare.

The rest of the Nav is original ie: all engine incl turbo, clutch, fuel pump, all trans, all transfer case, pwr steer pump etc etc. All the uni's were original but replaced them with the axle change over. Still had the original brake shoes and drums on the original rear axle.

It gets serviced every 10K klms. Has got the butter fly mod done and runs a catch can. Sits on 265/70 R16 Hancook Dynapro ATM's. Just a great under rated tyre.

Its been a working ute all its life but worked within its limits. Handed it to my 18 yo son , at 335000 klm who uses it as all 18 yo's do. He keeps it honest but has been "instructed" how to drive it with respect for its age and design limits.
It has been an unbelievably good Nav. I'd have another one in a heart beat.

Sounds like you are a happy camper, I went through 3 centre bearings in my D21 over 500k, the rear was too high and the angle of the tailshaft chewed them out. Never had a diff go yet.:violin:

Latest posts

Back