D22 Sluggish in 3rd & 4th

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDewy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Im scraping the bottom of the barrel. Ive had my 2003 D22 at the mechanics a couple of times as I openly admit im not exactly mecahnically minded, trying to find the source of my current problem.

Vehicle was running like a dream, but at the start of this year it started to loose power in 3rd and 4th. It would splutter and carry on, give a burst of its usual 'grunt' and then drop out.

Hills etc used to be no problem at all, however now, it cant handle even a slight hill in 3rd, and you need to go back to 2nd.

1st, 2nd and 5th still behave normally, with the usual power.

Mechanic was unable to find anything amiss with the computer analysis and was basically stumped.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas or any reccomendations as to who would be a good person to take it to in Melbournes outer east.

Thanks!!

Next time you go for a drive hold the gear stick to the top left while in gear, not too hard!! But if it goes back to normal while holding it left your neutral position switch is shot.

You can replace it or just unplug it and you be back to normal. If you want to unplug it just search neutral position switch on the forums and there is a few threads telling you how.

Hope it helped, I had the same problem just unplugged it.

^ +1 for a dodgy NPS...

if u unplug it and go for a spin this will give you the news if it is stuffed or not..tho I reckon its a certain
There is many posts on the topic in here however.

Oh, and many thanks for calling us "the bottom of the barrel":confused2:
and in the first sentence of the first post...
welcome to you too sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and once the NPS is fixed then disconnect your mechanic (as Krankin says, there's buckets of info on this stuff around & your man should nearly know about it)!

BTW - don't be too harsh (or sarcastic) with our new friend Krankin. I can only imagine his frustration - what with a shit spanner jockey and all!

Sorry guys!

Wasn't meaning it like that, more that I'm at my wits end trying to sort it out. My Mechanic was talking gear box, which I can't afford to fix. Someone suggested a forum, which I never thought of.

Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it and will give it a go :D

Figured as much. And don't mind Krankin too much - he's straight to the point he is!

Welcome aboard- hope the bus is sorted soon.

Hehheeee....all fun in love and war....

naaaa....all good.

do the test and youll be surprised.

I tested it this morning, and that is the problem!

Off to search some fixing threads. Thanks again everyone :D

Tim

Good news that. Now you have a choice. Either leave it disconected or replace it - both work & are relatively cheap.

what happens when you disconnect the nps? I assume the ecu has different level of tune for different gears? Did a search but couldnt find anything.

what happens when you disconnect the nps? I assume the ecu has different level of tune for different gears? Did a search but couldnt find anything.

Pretty sure and from my own experience you just loose the ability to use the heater switch, others will confirm anyway.

Latest posts

Back