d22 towbar differences ??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qqc d22

Reaction score
As title says is there any difference in towbars for newish d22s. i have a 2012 and want to know what will fit any help much appreciated.
Mainly looking for mounting differences as the rear bar will be removed so if it sits under the tub by the 100ml from shorter tubs im not to worried

Mate when I purchased my 09 str I had issues with towing a trailer cause the towball was hard against the chrome bar. So I took it to the Nissan it was purchased from and they replaced it no questions even though I purchased the car privately second hand. The 09 on d22 are 100mm longer so obviously the bar has to be made longer. The previous 02-07 model str bar fits and obviously sits under the tub a bit but is still at the same height. The d22 dx towbars sit 50-60mm higher as they don't have the rear bar and also a neatly tucked up against the bottom lip of the tub in some cases with a fill in plate.

There is a thread about this topic on the forum somewhere.

I think the bar I put on my 2012 STR came off an 03 model..works for me but as Rusty says..slight difference---and I'd suggest its in the adaptor bracket rather than the bar itself

Cheers that helps heap s i think ill try my luck cause i dont mind ditching the chrome rear bar and making a steel one to suit later on. fingers crossed it will fit
cheers again for the info

I saw someone with a TJM blanking plate and aftermarket steel towbar/step today and it looked pretty tough so definitely go for it.

Do they have a tow rating scotty i was planning on making my own bar with a tow point in it but then just got a bit skitish with it being not adr approved. allthought i know it would never break i just started to think about the what ifs and decided i get a towbar then build a bar around it.
Price and adr/loadrating?

I am trying to source a dx style bar and build a tube bar off it. It will be a working progress after the cape trip. But both the newer and older bars bolt up the same way it just the newer ones are 100mm longer for the tub. Sit them side by side there is a length difference.

Cheers rusty. so does anyone know if i put an okd style (shorter) dx towbar on my longer tub ute without the xhrome rear bar how far under the tub it will sit? Will the ball be 100mm under the tub or more?
The reason i ask is a mate has one i can have for acartoon of beer :) but its in wa so i dont wanna freight it to qld if its gonna sit much more than a 100ml. if its only 100mm i can just run a slightly longer tounge to get it out a bit althought now i think about it a bit more it might be a total pita when i put a tray on instead of the tub. hmm anyway if anyone know how far under the tub it will sit please let me know

This is what it looks like on a DX to give you an idea of sizes
towbar.jpg

sorry to whoever has this car advertised on carsales cause I stole your pic :S

Cheers mate that does help a little however the pic of his that he said was genuine nissan bar the rear is a straight bit of box not bent like that one but id guess it would come out the same distance overall

Last edited:
i've been keeping an eye out for a dx one in wa, but i haven't come across anything yet... i have removed the chrome bar too and i need a towbar, lol. it looks so plain without anything covering up the big hole at the back. i just made a bracket to mount the number plate to

i was told today that the older dx one wont even bolt up to my 2012 chassis mounting holes are apparently different :(
sucks a big fat one

Don't know why it wouldn't. It re uses the same 3 bolts on each side of the chassis as the str rear towbar does. I'm not 100% sure though. Maybe grab the one off your mate and see if it does or doesn't

i can't see how either, unless the changed the chassis when they went back to the jap built ones, which makes even less sense... if the older str one bolts up there's no reason the dx one won't surely...

i've been keeping an eye out for a dx one in wa, but i haven't come across anything yet... i have removed the chrome bar too and i need a towbar, lol. it looks so plain without anything covering up the big hole at the back. i just made a bracket to mount the number plate to

Who told you that and is the source credible ?

Back