D22 Transfer Case Leak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

Reaction score
Hey all. While under the car the other day I noticed that I have an oil leak from the front of the transfer case, looks to me like it leaking from where the drive shaft enters. Now I have looked in the service manual and from the exploded picture of the transfer case it just looks like there is a seal there but Im just wondering if anyone has replaced it before? Is it just a matter of draining the oil, sliding the drive shaft out and pulling the seal out and putting a new one in or is there more to it than that? If anyone can shed any light on how to replace it that would be great. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 19485_10152951891313507_5177440421289676855_n.jpg
    19485_10152951891313507_5177440421289676855_n.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,382
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,918
Id say similar to the d40, got the mechanics so change mine. Cost me under 100 bucks so it can't be too hard.

I've had to do mine before, fairly straight forward. Seal is under $10 (make sure you get the right one, there is a front and back seal)
Basically you have to remove shaft, use a puller to remove old seal and tap in the new one.

There's a bunch of guides on the web so head over to google

Thanks Jarone, but Ive been googling for a few days now and keep coming up empty handed hey. Any more info you can provide would be great. Im pretty handy mechanically but Id rather know what Im in for before I go pulling bits off. Thanks.

sliding the drive shaft out

Haven't done the job before but of all the D22 transfer cases I've handled, I've always picked them up partially by the flange and never had the front output shaft slide out or give any indication of axial movement (it's not like the rear). Have a look at the exploded diagram of the internals but I'd say there's a circlip inside holding it in. Or at the very least a spring clip so it could just need to be slide-hammered out. I would have hoped all you need would be in the service manual.

The shaft doesn't slide out, going off memory there is 4 bolts you need to undo at the uni then there's a 32mm (?) nut to remove, then you need a pulled to remove the housing, then remove seal with screwdriver or seal remover

There should be generic guides in Youtube etc. Sorry I've only got phone at the moment, ill post more info when I'm at home

Hey mate
From the service manual (TF-5)

Remove front propeller shaft. (4 bolts)
Remove companion flange nut.
Remove companion flange. (need a puller for this - $40 if you dont have one)
Remove center case oil seal. (recommend a seal puller tool but you could try with a screwdriver)
Install center case oil seal. (grease the lip of the new seal)(i lightly hammered/tapped it back in using the old seal to get it to go in evenly)
Install companion flange.
Tighten nut to the specified torque.
Install front propeller shaft.

edit:
here you go found some pictures, not a tough job but that nut is on tight! I remember now getting all my weight behind a breaker bar getting it off
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...diy-front-transfer-case-seal-replacement.html

Last edited:
Thank you Jarone, that link and your info is great. Appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your help with this everyone. Successfully replaced the seal yesterday. Hardest parts were getting the 30mm nut off and removing the old seal. All done though and so far no signs of leaking. Unfortunately I didnt take any pics while doing it but it was exactly as jarone described above. Thanksagain.s again.

Latest posts

Back