D22 Vs D40 On and Off Road

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok then, if you can handle the truth....Da Da Daaaaa, the D40 is a GIRLS car!
belongs only in NGW..
and the 550 is an attempt to attract the male species but as shown on the muster weekend..fell to pieces...

x 2..get a D22:rock:

Nope F' Em All Big And Small if they can't see quality when it's in front of them I'm not prepared to keep offering....quite frankly I'd rather drive a D22!

Like he hasn't already disowned me...if you knew me you'd disown me too.

I might come to my senses and buy a Yota :ha:

I wont tell anyone and I'd photoshop a 550 into my garage pics to fool everyone :ha:

DANG IT!! i just typed out all what i consider to be the pros and cons for all three utes, only to hit post reply and get told it was an invalid thread..........

basically what i said was, i owned a d22 and travelled over 350'000km in it.
Currently i own both a D40(SEE SIGNATURE) and a 1995 turbo 2.8lt solid axle hilux.
Like all cars all have there strong points and all have some flaws.
if its off road, as much as i hate to say it, the old solid axle Hilux wins followed by the d22 this is mainly due to the length and chassis height= ramp over plus the ability to flex. Also the list of off the shelf mods for the old girl are not only cheaper but endless.

Having said that dont forget the saying ALWAYS LATE IN THE 2.8 !!!! even with having a turbo mine is as slow as a wet week

the d22 i found has a much stronger limo. it hooks up quicker and stays on longer. you can also put a auto locker in the front of the d22 but not in the d40 (front diff and housing are week.)

On the black top in my opinion its the D40, nicer ride, more power, more room, and a few more mod cons eg steering wheel controls, blue tooth, cruise, ect

Like a lot of others have said it all comes down to your needs. In my opinion there is no "perfect" ute you just have to figure out which one suits you the best, find out what you want to do with it and go from there.
good luck with your purchase.
Nathan

Ok then, if you can handle the truth....Da Da Daaaaa, the D40 is a GIRLS car!
belongs only in NGW..
and the 550 is an attempt to attract the male species but as shown on the muster weekend..fell to pieces...

Wouldn't trust my 550 off road either, but if off road was the main reason for buying I wouldn't get either of them

Too right, I'd go a jacked up Holden Kingswood, if you're going to go 4wding why not go in style!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I am leaning towards the d40 for the space and black top driving, but I dont want to be dissapointed when I take it off road.

The on-road and off-road difference between the two is rather simple. The new D40 has a fraction more ground clearance than the D22 but it has a longer wheelbase, which means it's easier for the D40 to get hung up on an obstacle. It's a large enough difference to make the D22 more preferable for the more extreme off-roading.

However, the D40 (again due to its longer wheelbase) is more stable on the highway and is superior at towing. If you ARE going to tow anything, I suggest you lean towards an auto because the dual mass flywheels they put in the D40 manuals are not good at all. The D40 also has 175mm (might be 180mm, can't recall) of additional cabin space, most of this is in the back seat area - so it's better for kids entering their teens or hauling your mates around town on a drunken bender.

Then there's the cost to consider.

If you want something to do the really difficult terrain then pick something with a short wheelbase (not a unicycle, although that's about as short as it gets) - perhaps a Sukuzi Vitara/Jimny/Sierra if you want something small. Neither model Navara will cope well with going over large obstacles.

Of course, you could use the spare space in the tub of the Navara for dynamite and detonators, and when you encounter an obstacle ... well, you know what to do.

Not in the least. I'm saying that the D40 is a little more stable and because it has an auto version, it makes towing much easier.

Small stuff isn't an issue for either. It's when you get to the heavy stuff that it makes a difference.

I should probably add that the D22 has one major advantage over the D40 - that's low speed maneuvering of heavy towed objects. With the D22, you select 4LO and don't lock your hubs and presto, boat ramps and steep driveways are not a problem. Can't do that at all with the D40.

It's out on the highway where the difference lies. The D40 (with its longer wheelbase - the same thing that gives the D22 an advantage off-road) is more stable with a load behind it.

Both are capable. One's just a little better at it than the other. If you could put an auto under a D22 you'd probably close that (small) gap a little more, too.

Latest posts

Back