D22 YD25 sluggish no real power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinfull

Reaction score
So guys, recently installed reconditioned engine into my 04 D22 Navara. the engine is a YD25 no common rail using a D40 bottom end.

All has been well until about two weeks ago. Something just didn't feel right. It seemed to drive fine but lacked that punch the YD25's seem to have. Going up hills i found myself chopping down to 4th and ringing the poor girls neck and really just not getting anywhere. I like to think it ran like a old standard 2ltr diesel. also my fuel consumption rose a bit. from around 800km per tank down to 700ish

anyway I finally got home after a couple of weeks away with work and was able to hook up my analyzer. these are the code that it gave me.

the speed sensor fault is of my own doing so ignore it.

upon bringing up my graphs i could see my boost pressure was sitting at about 13KPA and not moving regardless of RPM and vehicle speed(fixed my speed sensor issue)

so my fix was this.

hook up my pressure pump to my waste gate that's mounted to the turbo and check to see if i have movement. - WOOHOO i did right up to about 25ish PSI

next check the connection on my Boost pressure sender. everything looked ok.

I then started my car up and check the graphs again with my boost pressure sender unplugged and plugged in. I got a fault code straight away and also my graph continued to read very low.
I plugged it back in and damn it started to read correctly as seen below. very bottom item.

anyway I took her for a drive and everything seems sweet as now. Im going to pull my pressure sender unit out and give it a clean just to make sure.

thinking out loud am not sure if the plug was the issue. as even if the waste gate was working fine before touching anything I would expect no performance change as the sensor is just that a sensor. however if the waste gate was stuck open then we would expect the issue we saw as all the turbo pressure would be getting "wasted"

hope this helps someone granted i had a analyzer to help me.

the plug could have been an issue, a bit of a dodgy connection. because the computer controls everything, if it is getting a low boost reading it will not increase fuel to match the boost (as set in the fuel tables in the ecu) so it will feel low on power, as the computer thinks the turbo isn't boosting as hard as you want it to... does that make sense?

the plug could have been an issue, a bit of a dodgy connection. because the computer controls everything, if it is getting a low boost reading it will not increase fuel to match the boost (as set in the fuel tables in the ecu) so it will feel low on power, as the computer thinks the turbo isn't boosting as hard as you want it to... does that make sense?

Well said buddy. I hadnt really thought exactly what was going on by not actually getting a correct boost reading.

Latest posts

Back