D40 air pipe full of oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevTheNav

Reaction score
Hey guys,
To start with, please pardon my ignorance. I noticed today while having a look under the bonnet today that my dump pipe had a huge build up of oil on it, I removed it and noticed inside it was pretty soaked with it. I've just come back from a small trip camping where I noticed I lost about 200kms of range from a full tank (hence why I was poking my nose around the engine bay). Clearly my first thoughts are to start looking at the turbo but I wanted to get some more experienced opinions before I made a mess of things
Thanks in advance guys

Attachments

• IMG_20140529_124212.jpg
    IMG_20140529_124212.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20140529_124218.jpg
    IMG_20140529_124218.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20140529_124223.jpg
    IMG_20140529_124223.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 193
Dump Pipe? I thought you may have had alot of dripping oil in your exhaust which would be bad...

Looking at pic 1, Is a soft hose though, so not dump out to the exhaust pipe, Is this the hose connecting the turbo to an intercooler?

Thinking catch can install if thats the case which will prevent so much oil going through..

Yes sorry, hose that connects to the intercooler. So I shouldn't be concerned about this much oil? Would it be best to clean out intercooler etc? A catch can was somewhere on my list of things to do so I might bump that up the list haha

Yep, pcv is doing that.
Provent seems to be the best as a catch can.

I had to edit the thread title. If you had oil in your dump pipe, there's a really high likelihood that your turbo had blown a seal (and I don't mean providing enjoyment to a marine creature).

It's most likely just blow-by (PCV) doing that, if you clean it up and take the car for a drive and NOT exceed 2000rpm then inspect the hose again, you should see NOTHING. If you DO see large amounts of oil after a gentle drive like that, your turbo seals are suspect. Before jumping at a turbo kit you might test the PCV first - remove the hose from the air intake (leave it connected to the top of the motor) and block off the opening on the air intake. Start the engine and look at how much oil comes out at idle (don't look into the pipe, aim it at a white cloth or absorbent paper). Look at how much gas comes out at idle. You should NOT see much at all.

Now rev the engine (with a helper of course) to 1500rpm, hold it for a few seconds, examining the hose for gas and oil. Increase rpm to 2000 then 2500 and then allow the car to idle for a minute before shutting it down. Above 2000rpm you should get a modest amount of blowby and if the engine is hot you might get a little oil (but you get a lot more under heavy engine loads).

If you have a large amount of gas flowing out at idle or up to 1500rpm then your piston rings or cylinder bores are suspect. A compression test would be in order to see how low the compression is.

If you have a moderate to large amount of oil flowing (blowing) out of the PCV at up to 2500rpm (without a load) then it's possible that your sump has been overfilled - let the car cool a little and check the oil level.

Provent aren't a bad brand, but don't overlook Forefront Industries, who also make a good product that a number of members here have installed and from all reports are happy with.

I put a catch can and an intercooler hardpipe on my wagon recently and was surprised at the black oily residue on the inside of the soft hose I replaced. It was not on the same scale as the photos you posted, but enough to be concerned that it has done 70k without the filter.

Oh, if there's oil on the outside of the hose, you've got a boost leak. Check the hose for splits, examine the hose ends to see if the clamps are loose or too tight (which can pinch the hose).

Thanks for that Tony! And thanks for the solid advice, when I have some time this weekend I'll definitely give that a go. I'm just glad is not a huge issue, I was having kittens seeing all that oil leaking out, hours make sure those clamps are all on there right

Latest posts

Back