D40 Alternator bearing squeal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey mate, sounds a bit like mine did when the clutch pulley failed. You might be lucky the pulley is a common problem and a whole lot cheaper to fix. Does it make that noise all the time, has your battery and hand brake warning light ever come on while its making that noise?? I wrote a thread about replacing the pulley not long ago it called "D40 alternator clutch pulley replacement" have a read of that and check out your alternator again it could save you a lot of money. Cheers Glenn

Mine is making the exact same noise and you can see the pulley continue to spin after the engine is shut off. Thanks to Widge87 And his thread as it will save me a bundle. Nissan wanted around $500 for the pulley.

Thansk guys will look at getting the pulley changed then...and yes the handbrake and engine light does come on and off

do i have to remove the entire front bar to get the alternator off or can get away with using tiny hands?? lol

Hey mate, no the bar doesnt need to come off. I removed the alternator from the engine, but I think other guys that have changed the pulley have done it in position.

Hey mate, sounds a bit like mine did when the clutch pulley failed. You might be lucky the pulley is a common problem and a whole lot cheaper to fix. Does it make that noise all the time, has your battery and hand brake warning light ever come on while its making that noise?? I wrote a thread about replacing the pulley not long ago it called "D40 alternator clutch pulley replacement" have a read of that and check out your alternator again it could save you a lot of money. Cheers Glenn

i remember that thread its very informative,take notice nismo 4x4 change the pulley sooner rather than later as you can do some serious damage if that bearing disinegrates,i was lucky mine seized instead of exploding

I also used Widge's thread and the Nuline pulley. Plus I also removed the altenator. It was pretty straight forward.
Bloody D40's and their common faults !!

Did mine this arvo,it was time after 246000 kms. Mate and i removed the altenater and the rattle gun did the rest.
Thanks for these threads fella's,made the job a crap load easier.
Cheers.

Where did you get the special tools to remove the pulley?

I have seen one set but they were over $200!

Need to do the pulley on mine but don't have the right tools.

Regards Murph

We used a 12v rattle gun and a socket.
Same to do it up.
I also sprayed crc around the nut a day before we changed it.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Will be picking up a replacement pulley tomorrow. Mine crapped out and I am having to recharge the battery on a charger every night. Glad I don't have any more trips planned at moment.

Murph

Latest posts

Back