D40 Camper Trailer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashum1

Reaction score
Hi all, those of you reading this anyway?

Decided to start a thread showing my new project, D40 camper trailer.

Obviously doesn't look like much now but it'll be taking shape over the next few weeks.

Plans are;
removable camper body, gas lift base, kitchen/storage drawers under
offroad suspension and tow coupling
6 stud disc brake hubs & cable brake
stx alloys with mickey thompson dick cepek 285/75/16's
combination toolbox (gas & diesel) & esky (beers, of course) on drawbar
water tank & 12v pump under
and the list goes on.

I'll do my best to keep ya's up to date on any developments.

Thanks for lookin, Phil.

Attachments

• phils car 006.JPG
    phils car 006.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 294
  • phils car 007.JPG
    phils car 007.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 279
I was told some time back and read on another popular forum that you can't make trailers from ute bodies any more due to regulations etc. Since joining here a couple of weeks ago I have seen a couple of threads mentioning it. Is it a state thing.
If it is legal I want to create a D40 dog float. A good dog float will set you back upward of $15k. Surely if I get a tub cheap and a canopy it will cost bugger all.
Anyone know the facts???

i see heaps of registerred ute tub trailers up here, i hope all is good.

i'm gonna contact main roads just in case.

i'll post their response. thanks!

Looking forward to watching this, good luck Phil. Hopefully QT comes to the party.

pressure, pfffff!

knowing how good it's gonna look behind my nav crankin up the bush or beach releives any pressure!

mate picked up tub today, heavier than i expected!

organising steel for chassis and drawbar thru the week, hopefully ready for suspension & axle by end of next weekend.

mate reckons we'll have chassis done in about 2-3 hours, depends on how many rums we have i think! hope they don't taste too good too quick, it's gotta be square!

did'nt get pics of loading or unloading tub on truck, but trust me, ya's didn't miss much.

depending on what sort of a deal we can cut on steel i should have enough cash left for suspension, axle, hubs & brakes. chuck a couple of sunraysias on it for now and i'll have a sweet lookin trailer hopefully by the end of sept depending on how much paying work we can get out of to make time for this. that leaves stx alloys and then all the camper gear.

I'M EXCITED!!!!!

plans got slightly modified today.

spotted a tuff looking trailer frame in a dudes front yard down the road and long story short persuaded him to part with it for $250, ironically it previously had a navara tub on it!

tuff as frame, really solid and clean as! h/d 4 leaf shackle springs with greasable shackles, not cheapo slipper packs. 15" sunraysias with 50% coopers & bearing buddies.

my estimation is it has saved me somewhere in the vicinity of $500 off my original budget, easily offset by more booze!

it's now sitting in my mates backyard next to the tub. we're gonna lop the drawbar off and extend the front frame and lengthen the drawbar and reattach then it should be sweet.

was ready to take pics today but sadly my phone wasn't, battery too flat to use camera, but don't worry, i'll have pics soon!

a little research on registration, as far as i can work out you can easily register any home made trailer as long as it's rated under 750kg regardless of whether it's made from a styleside tub.
i figure that although mine will only be registerred as 750kg it will be cable of alot more.
there's heaps of them for sale on ebay and i've been seeing quite a few on the road too.

Hey flashum,

I built a large trailer two years ago that weighs more than 750kg. Rego isn't a problem really so long as you build the trailer and it conforms to the minimum requirements. There is a downloadable standard for building H/Made trailers.

Here's a pic of mine!

instructorsa.jpg

I had hoped mine would be under the 750kg mark but it was a fair bit heavier so I had to run override brakes on it, this cost me more for the new tow hitch and new hubs but is worth it in hindsight. Also had to do a bit of dodgy welding to the axle. All went well and passed rego no worries.

Trick is to make it look well built and solid, then you're half way there.

Cheers,

DJ

hey mate if your after trailer parts eg hubs, stub axles etc, there is a good shop called active fabrications in beenleigh, they are pretty good price wise and have heaps of stop

sorry i didnt read the last post on page one, so i spose suspension stuff is of no use to you, but they do sell water tanks and couplings aswell

Last edited:
sweet thanks. still need treg & brake hubs suit d40 alloys, i'll give em a call.

got frame chopped, extended & welded in place thisarvo, just gotta extend drawbar and weld her up.

got no decent pics of frame extended & tacked in place as tub is upsidedown under mulberry tree (prefer to work in shade).

Attachments

• Image023(1).jpg
    Image023(1).jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Image011(1).jpg
    Image011(1).jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 300
  • Image013(1).jpg
    Image013(1).jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 263
  • Image014(1).jpg
    Image014(1).jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 580
yeah, havin dramas finding hubs. want cable disc brakes but can't find anyone doin them @ 114mm pcd, all i can find is electric 10" drum and electric brakes don't like being offroad.

another concern just arising is the centre hub diameter of braked hubs and whether it'll fit in the navara alloys? gotta rip one off (wheel sikko's) one have a look.

bit the bullet and bought 10" electric drum brakes last weekend. pretty good deal too, got brake assemblies, drums, bearings & seals, and all studs & and nuts for $290, all brand new.

hey mate if your after trailer parts eg hubs, stub axles etc, there is a good shop called active fabrications in beenleigh, they are pretty good price wise and have heaps of stop

sorry i didnt read the last post on page one, so i spose suspension stuff is of no use to you, but they do sell water tanks and couplings aswell

cheers stubbsy, forgot to mention earlier, i got my brakes from active fab and will be going back to get watertank and no doubt various other things.
very helpful mob and best prices around!
cheers mate!

finally, some progress!

major holdup was finding wheels, got 2 off ebay for $150.

now we've gotta fit coupling, paint frame, wire up lights and brakes and sort out something for a rear step bar, D40 ones are way too dear.

gonna paint top edge of tub with underbody sound deadener to make it a bit more durable.

sadly it's going to take some time to get anything done with the camper, work has been really quiet and the camper doesn't get much priority in the financial budget, especially with the next expence being a big one, the tent!

main thing is i'm going to have a trailer, can't wait to hook it up to the nav for some pics, it's gonna look great!

Attachments

• Image030.jpg
    Image030.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 280
  • Image029.jpg
    Image029.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 284

Latest posts

Back