D40 Cruise Control

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Just joined the forum.
Have D40 manual, owned since new 2008.
Having problem with Cruise Control. Switches on Steering wheel only works when I turn wheel approx 45 deg.
Any ideas how I can clean contacts on steering wheel ??

Welcome to the forums

From memory you have to take the airbag out and the other parts of the steering wheel and while it's not overly difficult it shouldn't be attempted after a few beers...or without knowledge.

Do a search in the D40 section for the service manual, I believe the link still works. Download that manual and look at the applicable section and it will tell you the exact steps you need to remove the steering wheel.

I had a look in mine but can't see how to get at the cruise control. I'll try harder.

Nup If it's there I cannot see it. Instructions for removal of the steering wheel but don't show the horn button and air bag removal.

I'm fairly sure there is pics on the forum here with atleast part of the steering wheel removed but no idea what thread.

Anyway if the manual links work for kurt atleast all is not wasted he got something for nothing for his trouble :big_smile:

Welcome to the forum.

I have the manual on CD if you're somewhere near Newcastle you can have it for free.

I don't think the issue is inside the steering wheel. I think it'll be down at the bottom of the steering column, where something has probably damaged the wires, although the connector inside the steering wheel may be loose (for some reason, who knows, it should clip into place).

Removing the airbag can be dangerous as it's quite easy to set off. The best thing to do is disconnect the battery (make sure you have the radio PIN and write down the trip meter values first). Stand on the brake pedal to consume any residual power and wait a further 10 minutes.

Now, with a flat bladed screwdriver, insert it at right-angles to the shaft of the steering wheel into the hole that is beneath the steering wheel when it is turned the right way up (as it should be when the wheels are straight). You will be pushing on a spring-mounted steel rod which will release the airbag with enough pressure - just push and the airbag will become free. Gently lift it away but don't try to disconnect it.

The cruise control wiring runs around inside and enters a plug that clips into a socket in the back face of the steering wheel. Because none of this wiring actually moves when you turn the steering wheel, I don't think this is the cause of your problem - but just push that plug in to make sure it's seated properly.

Reassembly is a matter of pushing it back into place - simple. Just line it up and push.

Reconnect your battery and take the thing for a drive and see if it still happens. If it isn't fixed, it's the other end - look for where the wires leave the shaft and look for any damage from foreign objects. You may need to get the harness replaced.

Thanks Tony,
Im in Canberra.
Are you able to mail me a copy.
My feeling is it is in the slip rings that are dogy as it works in some positions, but not when the wheel is pointing staight ahead.
I will check the plug this weekend.

Regards Kurt

Latest posts

Back