D40 Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) fix

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top Thomas

Reaction score
I'm starting this thread to save people some time and money. I recently had an issue with my DPF and found it very time consuming (as i work 60hrs a week and only have a phone for internet access) reading about everyone's different problems then fuel consumption issues then customer service issues then warranty arguments etc etc.

So here is a quick solution that worked for me (hopefully works for you) and saved me quite a bit of money which I never had anyway. Hope this helps someone.

Original issue : NO POWER. Felt like the turbo had stopped working. Also knows as LIMP MODE.

Then the DPF WARNING LIGHT came on so I took it to a mechanic after a long drive to try and activate DPF regeneration which did not happen/help. They found that the VACUUM BOOST SOLENOID was faulty. They replaced that for $250 and said don't worry too much about the DPF. I had full power for a day then back to limp mode. With DPF and check engine lights.

After a quote of about $2500 for a new filter I decided to take matters into my own hands. I'm no mechanic but didn't need to be. After a lot of forum research I took the whole DPF filter off for a look. I removed the three sensors and found the problem. Both sensors at the exit side of the filter didn't look good. See photos. Bought the exhaust gas temp sensor ($69) and the air sensor ($230) from westpoint Nissan in Indooroopilly. Very helpful and efficient. All you need is your VIN number. Took a total of 5 minutes to replace the two.

Once that was done I did an ECU RESET. By taking the negative terminal off the battery and turning the ignition key on. Vehicle was still in limp mode with the DPF light on. After this I took a drive for about 25km keeping revs above 1800rpm. After 25km the turbo kicked in but the DPF light was still on. Did a code check using the accelerator sequence. P2002 (DPF Filter) was still there. Drove 25km back home. Just before home the DPF light went off. Bingo. Job done and no issues for the past 2 days and hopefully not until I remove the dpf thanks to chipit.

So if I could do it all again in hindsight I would leave the filter where it is and take out the 3 sensors, look for any damage and test if possible. Would have taken an hours labour and half a day for the parts if I had done this. If you don't want to do this, ask your mechanic to do it.

My mechanic plugged in his computer gadget and said I need a new filter straight away. I suppose that's how mechanics roll these days. No research just replacements.

As far as the root cause goes, I have used the wrong (cheapest) oil and have had 4 services in 100000km. Therefore I am the root cause.

If this doesn't work, keep researching :)

Good luck.

image-3591026111.jpg

image-4280397793.jpg

Last edited:
Hey mate, if that's how you pulled those sensors out and they looked like that it seems as tho it been snapped.. That is not normal wear and tear.. Did you buy the car from new or used? This is the first time I seen that much damage on dpf sensors, I have seen a few..

Yip. Ive had it from new. I'm assuming initial damage caused a faulty regeneration cycle which damaged the sensors even more. Not sure about the ins and outs but the ute is still running smoother than ever.

I just ripped the DPF out and replaced it with a Chip-It delete pipe. $350 job done and no DPF trouble ever again. Simple.

Hopefully no ex-mechanic cop will look underneath the car. But that's a chance i'm willing to take.

I just ripped the DPF out and replaced it with a Chip-It delete pipe. $350 job done and no DPF trouble ever again. Simple.

Hopefully no ex-mechanic cop will look underneath the car. But that's a chance i'm willing to take.

Nice mate, best thing you will do to the ute.. That's for sure.

I did like the spanner marks on the sensors! Good thing they are stuffed!
Good work

Haha. Don't you just love imperials when you only have metrics? I could see the sensor was broken before i pulled it out so there was no stopping me. Would've drilled it if I had to :) The new one went in with the right spanner.

Haha. Don't you just love imperials when you only have metrics? I could see the sensor was broken before i pulled it out so there was no stopping me. Would've drilled it if I had to :) The new one went in with the right spanner.

Haha yeh I did the same on the pressure lines.. Didn't need them after all so I threw it away with the dpf

Hi TT

Great post thanks.

What are the 2 longer sensors called? - One before and one after the DPF.

I have exactly the same problem as you with the one on exit side of DPF totally melted/destroyed!!

Cheers
Dale

Back