D40 ecu reset

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I, like many on here reset the ECU when the truck is serviced or when I clean the air filter etc. It does make a difference . Even when I changed my coolant I reset the ECU and all the figures went back to normal.
It seems like the learned data gets mixed up with the new data after you have made a change and the ECU simply gets confused. However doing the reset puts everything back to square 1 and it forgets all your bad habits and learns your new ones.

I have a question, I seem to remember when I read the learn mode reset you should take as much extra weight out and disconnect the chip. Do you do the same thing when doing a ECU reset?

When you reset the ECU your effectively setting all the parameters back to the baseline. Once you start to drive the truck after the reset it learns your driving habits so to speak. So if you take all the weight out and then put it back in later it will just modify your settings over time to compensate for the added weight.if the truck usually carries an extra few hundred kilos then I would think you should leave it in and just drive conservatively for a start.
After a period of time it will be back to the bad habits again anyway if its relearning your driving habits
If you only carry weight occasionally then have it relearn everything the way you normally drive it

^ what he said. Emphasis should be placed on its learning your bad habits. Like a child, it will pick up bad habits much, much faster than good habits.

Ever tried teaching a child to talk? How long does it take to teach them to say "ukulele" or even "please" ? I bet it's a lot longer than it takes them to pick up 'MORON' yelled out the window as you're driving along.

You're ECU is the same, but doesn't react as positively if you turn the TV off.

Ok , It's just that I have drawers in the back that can be taken out if I need to and a long range tank. I didn't want to have a full tank if I need to get the weight down. And what about the chip? Should I unplug it? It's a chipit so its easy to do.

I think you want it to learn your everyday driving habits, so you want to replicate "normal use" when it is learning.

I am quite surprised how much smoother it runs right across the rev range, have yet to test for fuel efficiencies yet though. Good thing to know.

I'm going to give a try on the weekend. My fuel consumption is never the same. With the long range tank I could get around 380-400kms and occasionally 430 before the needle would move. Now it's anywhere from 340-370. And what also makes it harder to get an accurate km/l is the bigger tyres.

how big is you fuel tank? I have 140l and I get between 1100 and 1200 km out of it? have you got larger than 32' tyres?

I just used half a tank and got 35 km more than I usually do after I reset it, so I am hoping to consistantly get 1200 out of a tank now. I will work out actual consumption of the next couple of refills.

160ltr and 32's. The best I had was 450km. That was just after I got my DPF sensors recalibrated by Auggie.
When I did sort of keep track of consumption I thought I would only get 1100 -1200kms.
But that's not that accurate either because my tyres aren't STD so I'm really doing more than what the odometer says. (I think)?
Anyway I'll give it a go and report back once my fuel gauge moves.

You should be getting more than twice that. When I put 32's on mine I noticed a significant drop in economy, then I blocked the ERG pipe (which I recommend doing) and didnt really notice much difference - even though everyone on here said I would get better milage.

Then I reset the ECU and fuel pump and the change was massive. The engine ran smoother and the economy returned almost to what it was with standard tyres on it.

I think the ECU learns to drive when the car is new, has smaller tyres, has a tight unused engine etc so it monitors the air intake, fuel air mixture and emissions to work out the "optimum mix". Then as the engine gets worn in and you put different size tyres on it the load and conditions on the engine change and the ECU isnt calibrated to those conditions. So a reset really just allows it to "re-learn" under those new conditions.

I am interested to see what changes you see after a reset - I was very surprised with the gains I got.

And, the odometer is out with STD tyres and reads faster than actual speed, 32's actually mean that it reads closer to the actual speed.

I'm going to do the reset this arvo. I can't wait the extra day lol.
I know that the speedo is correct with 32's but I'm sure the odometer is out??

I'll start with just the simple reset and see what happens. If it's good then I'll leave it or if not I'll do a full "learn mode" reset. Or should I just go and do a full learn mode and be done with it?

Oh and just a side note, when my fuel tank is 1/2 full the gauge shows 3/4's and when the fuel light comes on I know I have 30ltrs or so left.

I'm going to do the reset this arvo. I can't wait the extra day lol.
I know that the speedo is correct with 32's but I'm sure the odometer is out??

I'll start with just the simple reset and see what happens. If it's good then I'll leave it or if not I'll do a full "learn mode" reset. Or should I just go and do a full learn mode and be done with it?

The odometer is calculated by the speedo.

Here is a link to put it in learn mode.

http://www.blue-print.com/techtip/navara/

Ok, so I did the reset. I took it for the drive and tried not to go over 3000rpm and didn't go over 70kpm. The accelerator does feel a little lighter and more responsive. I didn't take any weight out of the ute just to see how it goes. I can always do the reset again and lighten it if I need to..
I toped up with fuel to see how far I can get before the needle moves. I had done 196km and put in 26ltr's. Now just quickly that means I was using 13ltr per 100km roughly.

That is still fairly thirsty, but I guess you will see over the next tank. Maybe check it again when you have used half a tank and see what numbers you get.

Yep I'm still getting around 13ltr per 100. BUT I've noticed that doing 110km/h and trying to overtake, at between 2500 and 3000 rpm's I start to lose power. It felt a bit like limp mode but not quite. Anyway I'm going to remap my ecu and hopefully get this sorted.

Latest posts

Back