D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking you're right with the driving habits. I'm more than happy with it.'I dont think it would beat many things off the lights but gees it pulls

It's amazing how many people don't consider driving habits to be an issue. I was talking to a guy last night who's got a D40 ST 4 months newer than mine and he was bitching about economy and how he can't get better than 14 out of his, he's got a steel bar and a/t's on his but no canopy and I suggested he should be able to get better than 14's.

After the meet and greet we all headed off into the hills to a pub for dinner and I followed this guy. Now I know I drive like an old man but this guy left me for dead exiting the carpark, left me for dead at the 4 sets of lights we got caught at and once on the open roads I saw him for about 2 minutes before he was out of sight. I sat between 80 and 90ks through the windy and hill roads dropping to 60 on the applicable corners and this guy beat us to the pub by what he claims was nearly 5 minutes over a 35 k trip. The actual time right or wrong didn't make a huge difference to me but I asked him after he was bragging about the time we wasted whether he thought his driving habits compared to mine were a major contributing factor to his 14's and my 10's and he claimed it nah it shouldn't be that much difference.

Some people just don't see their driving habits making that much difference because they know no other way to drive.

fuel

Three years towing a 2.5t van with a pod on the roof of the d40 I get around 17 to 18l per 100klm also have a 3kva gen and 190l water tank in the tray

Do you get much chance to take the pod and van off and get some figures to compare that 18lph too?

We've got an offroad van to tow around with the Navara and I'm anticipating around the 16-17 mark...let you know in a fortnights time. Work to be put aside I need to fish...

I've done 13000 k's and on my last refuel (today) calculated 9.1l/100km. I do a fair bit of mixture driving from around town to some semi long distance driving. Granted my girl is still stock with no mods.

Semi interesting article in yesterday's Car Guide (Melbourne). A week long road test of the current model ST-X had the reporter getting 9.1 highway and 10.1 paddock and mountain hopping with a light load. He didn't really go into great details about his trials and how hard he drives but it's still not a bad 'real world' test.

What Martin did was disconnect the neg lead off the battery then turn the key in the ignition to discharge any residual power. Once thats done just reconnect your neg lead to your battery. Full reset done.

I remove both lead and turned the ign on but hear no click, how long should I hold the ign key until the click sound heard?

You won't hear a click if the battery's disconnected. The reason for turning on the ignition is to consume all the electrical energy in the car's computer, which forces the ECU to reset. You could just press the brake pedal and achieve the same result. I am the idiot that came up with the ignition idea, so I apologise for confusing people with it. Just press the brake pedal for a few seconds, marvel at the lack of any activity, and reconnect the lead.

Make sure you drive gently after doing this, preferably with the vehicle as empty as possible. Get it up to about 80-85km/h and cruise there for a couple of minutes, then stop and turn the engine off - task complete.

If you have a standard radio in the car, you may have to re-enter the PIN code, which should have been in your owner's manual folder. This reset WILL reset the trip meters in the dash.

You won't hear a click if the battery's disconnected. The reason for turning on the ignition is to consume all the electrical energy in the car's computer, which forces the ECU to reset. You could just press the brake pedal and achieve the same result. I am the idiot that came up with the ignition idea, so I apologise for confusing people with it. Just press the brake pedal for a few seconds, marvel at the lack of any activity, and reconnect the lead.

Make sure you drive gently after doing this, preferably with the vehicle as empty as possible. Get it up to about 80-85km/h and cruise there for a couple of minutes, then stop and turn the engine off - task complete.

If you have a standard radio in the car, you may have to re-enter the PIN code, which should have been in your owner's manual folder. This reset WILL reset the trip meters in the dash.

thanks a lot mate :cheers!:

Used to have a 2008 D40 Auto. Thing would only do 450 km per tank no matter what. Full load, empty always 450. Took it back to Nissan twice to have it checked, tried for a bigger exhaust but the fitter just shook his head. Fuel light would come on and I would only have 10km warning (found out the hard way).
Well I sold it after 7 months and kept my d22 which gave me 600 km fully loaded. A petrol V8 would give me better milage.
i talked to a guy with a D40 auto 2009,and he only gets 450 ks to a tank and doesnt tow anything with it...hes not very happy at all.
he reckons his pootrol 4.2 was better on economy..:rock:

i talked to a guy with a D40 auto 2009,and he only gets 450 ks to a tank and doesnt tow anything with it...hes not very happy at all.
he reckons his pootrol 4.2 was better on economy..:rock:

That's the same model as mine. Mine is overweight, wearing a bullbar, winch and canopy, and around town I'm doing 12s nowadays (no additives in the fuel like Chemtech, 2-stroke etc). I have no chip, in fact the vehicle is entirely stock standard - I haven't fitted the misting system to the intercooler yet.

I'd try a reset then have a gentle drive with it. It's possible they drive it like a petrol car - and mine uses a lot more fuel when I drive like that.

I just took ALL of my tools and recovery gear out of the back of the Navara, and took it EMPTY down to the local dealer to fix the parts damaged from last VNOG adventure.

The car felt soooo much lighter and more responsive under the foot. I reckon a significant saving in fuel just by taking all the crap out.

Looks like i'll be doing a computer re-set when i car the car back and retrain the computer, befoer i go and put all the crap back in.

Wonder how much of an improvement i'll get with the 144 litre fuel tank .... ??? Barely getting 900kms for about 120 or so litres atm ...

but they way i drive would have a lot to do with that too. (and the weight in the back, and the crap on the roof ...)

I just took ALL of my tools and recovery gear out of the back of the Navara, and took it EMPTY down to the local dealer to fix the parts damaged from last VNOG adventure.

The car felt soooo much lighter and more responsive under the foot. I reckon a significant saving in fuel just by taking all the crap out.

Looks like i'll be doing a computer re-set when i car the car back and retrain the computer, befoer i go and put all the crap back in.

Wonder how much of an improvement i'll get with the 144 litre fuel tank .... ??? Barely getting 900kms for about 120 or so litres atm ...

but they way i drive would have a lot to do with that too. (and the weight in the back, and the crap on the roof ...)

Is your's an auto or manual WoodyD40? Reason I ask is that 900 from 120 looks good as I get about 1000 from 160 with about 20 left in the tank. I've recently been following Tony's advice and it seems that I might be making some gain consumption-wise despite all the extra weight I carry around. Did the 'remove the neg terminal etc' thing last weekend before a trip from Queanbeyan to Numeralla/Cooma return and returned an average 13 LPH which is about 2 LPH less than normal for this run......drove a bit like Miss Daisy though :)

Last edited:
In the glove box? No way it's on the passenger seat with in easy reach like the rest of us.

hi all,
had my d40 for 3 years now, when i first bought it was getting 10l / 100km consistently now with with 56000kms on the clock i'm getting 9.1 - 9.5 L/100km. Its a manual diesel just everyday driving with no extra weight in vehicle, pretty happy with that

Latest posts

Back