D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2010 Series 4 D40 with 6 speed manual, ARB steel bullbar, winch, towbar and ARB supplied long range/ sub tank. I average 9.5L/100kms. Never seen over 10L/100kms and sometimes can get it down to 9.0L/100km. I can pretty much safely get 1400kms between refills with the long range tank in.

My previous 2008 Series 3 D40 TD 6 Speed, I was never able to get it below 11L/100kms.

So, last tank was 11.1 l/100km. Have just reset the ECU by taking neg off battery and "starting". Had a nice gentle drive after so will see how this tank goes. Running "normal" diesel :)

Also just had a 2" lift done and snorkle added. Nothing like changing 3 things at once and coming to a conclusion :big_smile:

Murph

Hi guys. I have got an ST navara and had it about 6 months now bought brand new November 2010. I have a custom tray and canopy, bull bar , 2" lift and carry my tools in it for work. I'm getting around 12.7L/100km loaded up. Just wondering what sort of figures other ST owners were getting as you all know the STX is a more powerful engine

Last edited:
Read both this thread and do a search for "fuel economy" because there is few threads with info you seek it's just a matter of reading rather than having everyone re-type their figures since most people have already shared figures. Welcome to the forums as well.

I get 7.5 l / 100k on the highway (100kliks) and im yet to see over 8.5 around town in my 2006 R51 Pathy 2.5 td, I have a snorkel thats it....just bought a k&n filter, about to fit a catch can, block egr, get an exhaust and chip from chipit! maybe ill get under 7l/100k once thats done

I must be pretty lucky cause i dont see that on forums often if at all?

I get 7.5 l / 100k on the highway (100kliks) and im yet to see over 8.5 around town in my 2006 R51 Pathy 2.5 td, I have a snorkel thats it....just bought a k&n filter, about to fit a catch can, block egr, get an exhaust and chip from chipit! maybe ill get under 7l/100k once thats done

Good on you if you can get those figures......my fat arsed D40 2.5tdi auto fitted out with lots of gear....and running 265/70R16 BFG A/T tyres gets........wait for it......drum roll.................anywhere from between 12.5 LPH to 26LPH depending on where I'm running (ie in the high country, in the desert, on the highway).....thus far the average for the 65000km I've driven it is 14.5LPH.

Good on you if you can get those figures......my fat arsed D40 2.5tdi auto fitted out with lots of gear....and running 265/70R16 BFG A/T tyres gets........wait for it......drum roll.................anywhere from between 12.5 LPH to 26LPH depending on where I'm running (ie in the high country, in the desert, on the highway).....thus far the average for the 65000km I've driven it is 14.5LPH.

Same vehicle here, same loading, same tyres ... similar result. Worst economy we've had is 24.82LPHK and that's a tankful out of Wilcannia - I don't think that the 'diesel' label matched the 'sewer' content in terms of combustibility.

Our overall average in 57,000km (actually nearing 58,000 now) is 15.42LPHK, but something over 30,000km of ours has been with the van on the back.

Last edited:
I got my worse figures ever yesterday, was only a short trip (about 200ks) and not a full tank but it was all hills, dirt and mud and the SG told me the average for the day was 25.3 LPH. Be interesting to see what the rest of the tank yields but I'm guessing it wont be my usual low 10's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is that a manual or auto?

Hey Guys new member here i have a 12/2009 D40 ST 2.5 T/D Auto not happy at all I am getting for 80ltrs fuel only 489km have just sent 3 x stats to nissan and await reply

Welcome to the forum, Fisherman.

The thing we've noticed that consumes fuel the most in our rigs is speed. At 95km/h the turbocharger is just bringing the engine's torque up to peak, and beyond that you're throwing a lot of fuel at the engine for relatively little gain.

We also know that bigger tyres and heavier loads cause a penalty as well, and the EGR doesn't help matters. We've had people ask about fuel consumption at the same time as saying they're impressed with how the Navara performs against V8s at the lights ... an obvious gas-guzzling maneuver!

If your car has never had its ECU reset, you might still be on the original fuel map too. Many cars are shipped from factory with a fuel map that is over-rich. The default is not, it's just fine, but the factory-ship mapping is rich so that the engine doesn't get too hot while it's young. Our diesels are supposed to get that fuel map reset to default at the 10,000km service, but it wasn't done in mine and in many others.

Resetting the ECU is fairly easy and will not damage the car, the engine or its computer at all, but you will lose the data from both trip meters so before you do this, write down the values.

1) Empty the car. The less weight, the better.
2) Remove the battery NEGATIVE lead from the battery
3) Press the brake pedal (consumes the remaining power in the computers)
4) Return the battery negative lead to the battery
5) Take the car for a GENTLE run, no more than 2500rpm and do not exceed 80-85km/h
6) Stop and turn off the engine, remove the key - task complete.

Fuel Issues

Hi everyone... I have a dual cab d40 6 spd manual diesel with all the candy on it and it has done 33 800klms and I drove it down south for holidays.. It holds 135 ltrs of fuel but only does 1130klms for both tanks and I've taken it to my local dealer and its been re-mapped twice and still having fuel issues and they keep telling me to watch its fuel use and record it... Im about to sell it as I've had enough of being run around by nissan I just want it fixed... Has anyone out there have or have had the same problems that I'm currently having and do you have any possible answers or fixes... I fought nissan over suspension issues and proved it was faulty but they refused to fix it even with a letter from a mechanical engineer so had to replace it at my cost and now I'm fighting over fuel issues and there own mechanics tell me they have injector and fuel pump issues... I'm sorry to carry on but nissan need to get their act together or they will lose customers like me as I will never buy another nissan again.... Kind regards Shane....

Welcome Shane.

There is heaps of reasons why economy can be poor or less than average and not all of them are because of Nissan.

The biggest factor is the driver and his right foot. Speeds over 100kph in these D40's chew the crap out of economy, revving over 2000RPM chews the fuel and driving accelerator brake accelerator brake may not chew the fuel but it doesn't do much for it.

Weight has a huge bearing on economy too, add a load in the tub, add bigger tyres, add a suspension lift, add bars etc will all effect economy and very rarely effect them in a good way. Nav's are really just 3 tonne wind breaks and the more we add to them the more of a wind break it becomes.

Alot of people do report average figures in economy but it's very hard to diagnose over the net when the biggest impact on fuel usage is still the driver and comparing drivers over the net in neigh on impossible.

Some people report better results after an ECU reset and some don't but given that the ECU is constantly learning a heavy footed driver before the reset will still teach the ECU the same way after a reset. There are other factors to an ECU reset but if it's done purely to forget driving habits it's fairly pointless if the driver doesn't change as well.

Hi everyone... I have a dual cab d40 6 spd manual diesel with all the candy on it and it has done 33 800klms and I drove it down south for holidays.. It holds 135 ltrs of fuel but only does 1130klms for both tanks and I've taken it to my local dealer and its been re-mapped twice and still having fuel issues and they keep telling me to watch its fuel use and record it... Im about to sell it as I've had enough of being run around by nissan I just want it fixed... Has anyone out there have or have had the same problems that I'm currently having and do you have any possible answers or fixes... I fought nissan over suspension issues and proved it was faulty but they refused to fix it even with a letter from a mechanical engineer so had to replace it at my cost and now I'm fighting over fuel issues and there own mechanics tell me they have injector and fuel pump issues... I'm sorry to carry on but nissan need to get their act together or they will lose customers like me as I will never buy another nissan again.... Kind regards Shane....

You have to be kidding? 11.95 Lph from a modified vehicle and your complaining.

Nissan won't do anything for you, won't even open the bonnet.

Thats good fuel econo if you ask me, my king cab was doing 400km max from full tank and they said normal econo.
550 a bit better, great on highway, was great around town but creeping up, seems all 500's are doing this, Nissan couldn't give two hoots, i'll just deal with it

The question is what do people actually expect Nissan to do?

The cars aren't faulty, there is nothing stating a car should obtain a particular set of figures and like any business Nissan aren't just going to keep spending dollars to make one customer happy when the product they sold operates in an expected manner.

I understand that some people are a bit annoyed but unless it can be proven that there is actually a fault there is little any manufacturer would do.

Sorry Shane but no sympathy from me. I have a 2006 auto with a shiteload of fruit on it and I get in the order of 13-14 LPH......I have a 160ltr tank and that in itself will cause increased fuel consumption...ie the tank is bigger and made of steel vice the plastic OEM 80ltr tank and 160ltrs of diesel is double the weight of the OEM tankful...and then there is all the other stuff as well. What are you expecting to get?

I calculate 11.95LPHK too and that's bloody good if you're carrying fruit.

As Krafty said, if you go much beyond the sweet zone these things really start to drink, because they're a ute. That doesn't mean a Hilux will be any better - because that's also a ute. Utes are bricks. Anything above about 95km/h in a Navara (about 2,000rpm) and you're burning much more fuel for a little more speed.

Mr Nissan is right on the money. Nothing to do. The car (with all the stuff added to it) would weigh more than the thing did when it arrived in Australia from Nissan factory, so it's going to have to use more fuel to push that MORE stuff around.

For what it's worth I think yours is doing well.

i dont think you are doing to bad. i have the same nav as you with almost the same amount of km, and i get around the same figures
i have put bigger tyres on mine, while it has corrected my speedometer it has thrown my odometer out by about 8km per hundred, so this is something i calculate when figuring out my fuel consumption.

my point is if you have also gone to bigger tyres are the figures you gave us the adjusted figures or what is on your trip meter?

like a few others have mentioned the way you drive plays a massive part in how thirsty your nav gets. i do allot of trips to and from the ACT, which is about 200km each way of freeway. so i have played around with doing the same trip with the same load but at different speeds, with and with out the cruise control.
the result were pretty substantial between 95kph and 120kph. from 10LPHK to 14.5LPHK
not to much difference between having the cruise on or off but there was a difference albeit very slight.

the other thing is changing gears i have noticed that if i take it steady up to 2000rpm - 2500rpm max then change gears you will get better figures again.

the best i have got was 10LPHK, but personally i could not cope having to drive like that 7 days a week, but it was good to see if i could get those sort of figures

anyway if fuel economy is really what you want i suggest you do the egr mod if you Havant already, and play around with the rev range you change gears at along with the top speed you drive at, im sure you will see a difference.
nathan.

Last edited:
Back