D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Towed my caravan to Kalkalo up the hume highway 240kms and used 60 ltrs at 100kph caravan weight is about 2.2t i have just booked it in for a diesel/gas conversion to try to get some economy and more power

That's 25lt per 100ks. I have had 24lt per 100 before although the van is a little heavier. I try to keep it in overdrive and usually get figures in the 17's, providing it's not too windy or an eternal uphill gradient because then there is no hope of keeping it in overdrive.

i just came back from a trip to mt hotham.... averaged 10.2 on the highway doing around 115kmph.... averaged it out when i stopped to fill up fuel. thats with a load of about 250kg in the back

however, back at home local driving i average 9.2 and thats not driving like a granny either or driving it real hard..... pretty happy with that...70000km on the clock. serviced every 5000 stock as a rock atm.

10L / 100 Km

My average is 10L/100km.

When I fillup, I look at the odometer and divide by 10 to estimate how much fuel I need. EG 370km should be 37 litres of fuel.

If I've done a lot of stop/start city driving, economy could drop a bit - maybe 38.5 rather than 37 in the example above. On the other hand, if I've been able to avoid heavy trafffic and also do a bit of out-of-town running, it could be a bit better - maybe 36 rather than 37.

have been getting around 11.5 normally.went to newy on wednesday towing the jayco camper, 12.3l/100 there, 17.5l/100 home at the same speed. why ? must be the 20 foot van i bought.:rofl2: happy with the economy but not the transmission, not enough control,kicking back/ reving its tits off. must buy a new ute with better trans.

I just changed to delo 400 15w 40 from a caltex c3 5w 30.
Was geting 9.5l suburban driving with no bullbar or accesories. 8.5l on highway runs

Very curious to see where it goes on this supurb new oil. Has alreDy done wonders for my daily drive. Sooooo much smoother!!

Dezz

I filled up yesterday and carted 22 x 20kg bags of pre mix cement and various tools out to the farm today and just too see how much difference it made I filled the tank again on the way home.

Final result
96ks traveled (about half with the load on) most of the time between 90 and 100 except in towns.
10.4 litres used
10.8LPH or thereabouts.

Hi guys, just came onto this forum to see if there was anything on fuel economy as my Navara is terrible. It's a 2010 model and the best I get is 21L/100km but it usually sits at 22L and that's without towing. How do you guys achieve those low figures around 10L, what a diesel should be?

I have an ARB bulbar & winch, snorkel, 2" lift and muddies put on straight away so I've never had a chance to check stock fuel economy. I thought 22L is too much as it sucks like it's a V8.

There is no magical figure a car should be and that figure the dealers are forced to stick on the window of all new cars causes more bullshit and carry on than if they never stuck it there. The magical figure stuck on all new cars should be scraped. However 21 isn't good.

What model is it? KC's are usually worse than DC's for some reason.
How do you drive it? Foot down and racing style take off will not help economy. Driving it over 110kph or over about 2200 revs will kill economy and driving it with your right shoe full or lead will slaughter economy.
Do you carry much weight?
Lift's and larger tyres will increase the economy but them alone can't be responsible for 21's.

In most cases the right foot is the issue, but it's near impossible for anyone on a forum to diagnose exactly what's different about your driving to someone elses, if in fact there is any differences due to each person having a different idea as to what "driving sedately" might actually mean.

You could try an ECU reset (search either this thread or the forum for "ECU Reset") but given the ECU is constantly learning a reset today without resetting whatever is causing the economy issue means the ECU will go back to learning the bad habits in no time and negate the worth of the ECU reset. Don't get me wrong there is a time and a place for ECU resetting, but it's unlikely to cure any problems by itself.

Other than that you could try getting Nissan to look at it under warranty, there has been a few people who claimed injector fault, I'm not sure if any of them were successful as Nissan like all manufacturers know they do not have to meet any economy figure they jsut have to provide a working vehicle but it could be worth a shot.

Thanks for your feedback. The site was down.

Actually, I'm driving like a grandpa, feathering the throttle, trying my best to bring it lower. Then there's something definitely wrong. I'll visit the dealer. :rambo:

Driving like a grandpa still doesn't give an accurate enough description to diagnose over the net. I'm very light footed however by watching real time fuel usage on something like a Scangauge on a long trip I can find plenty of times where my light foot is actually using more fuel than needed.

I still think your economy is too high no matter how you drive and hopefully Nissan can find something wrong, although so many others that have reported high economy and spoken to Nissan haven't had any luck, maybe you will be the lucky one. Remember though despite your history following you (via the Nissan computer system) there is nothing stopping you choosing other dealerships if you don't get the answer you want out of the first one.

When I had my '07 D40 2.5 6sp I got around 11 lt per 100Ks. I drove it fairly hard though. When I towed the bikes and a tub full of gear the Lt's per 100 took a dive.
My STX550 gets 10.2 and getting better as it runs in.

my 2012 nav has said about 11.2-11.3 on the trip computer since i bought it, i've since setup the scanguage though and it's showing 7.8-8.0 which is very good i reckon
we do live in a small town though about 45ish min drive from karratha so a lot of highway cruising

My economy was always better in WA than Vic....must be the....second thoughts I wont say what it must be I might offend :big_smile:

There has been several trips I've done in and around Perth where economy was in the high 7's (but mainly high 8's), the best I have had out of Melbourne and the burbs in the last few weeks is mid 9's which is what what I get around my home among the gumtrees.

if it's about the quality of drivers here (and Perth in particular) i'm sure i would wholeheartedly agree with you!
i don't know how i managed to be a full time truck driver in the city for as long as i did, i go back there now and i'm raging hard within 15 mins of hitting city limits haha

I'm not sure there is quality drivers anywhere but seriously if Perth and quality drivers are used in the same sentence, I'm scared.

Geez don't ever come east if Perth traffic makes you rage, Melbourne and Sydney will make you explode, Perth peak hour is like a Sunday drive to church in the eastern states.

My first tank i got 700kms from 61.5ltrs & due to fill up again this week sometime.
This last tank Ive been driving a little harder & did a long trip at 115km/h, but still looking at getting the same economy + or - .5ltr/100

another trip to perth and back which including running around town for a week and a half added around 3500km to the clock.
car is still better around the city than on the hwy, sat on about 12l/100 on the way down at a bee's banana over 110kph, around town it was about 8/100 which is backwards compared to every other car i've owned, they're normally better on the hwy, things improved a bit on the drive home even though we were much more heavily loaded as we'd done a lot of shopping at the camping stores and i got a bunch of recovery gear etc for it.
averaged about 10.5l/100 and got as low as 9.8 and as high as 11.2 depending on wind etc, this was all with cruise control set at the same speed.
i think by the time the engine is properly run in and economy improved a bit i'll be very happy with it, otherwise the car has been fantastic.

Passage, the 4-banger diesel gets its max torque between 1800-2000rpm. Once you pass this point in the rev range, you're getting diminishing returns on the fuel put in.

It equates to about 95km/h on the highway. Try cruising at that speed for one tank and see how the consumption changes.

The ute is aerodynamically not all that dissimilar to a 2-tonne brick.

yeah i realised that, was driving more for time than economy and work was paying for the fuel (holiday assistance)
however when i did experiment i noticed that from 110 downwards economy seemed to improve by about 0.1 for ever kph dropped, i tried this for an hour or so and it seemed pretty consistent
as you say, sitting on around 95-100kph would return pretty good economy i think.
i'm very happy with the car overall

Well I'm full loaded 2800kg if not more from full tank to fuel light on so about 65L i got 330km not good all city driving but.
iv get average 16L per 100km worst being 23L per 100km and my best being bout 15L per 100km

Latest posts

Back