D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your doing well pal have you tried the old fill it to the neck refill ect perhaps use the online calculator?, but you will lose grunt and economy with the bigger tyres.If that's what you are doing you are as good as a dmax well done.

gvm 2860 kg , tare weight 1957 , in the manual , misses has the truck at the moment and the rego papers are in the glove box , which makes it actually heavier then a duel cab , one other thing it has a snorkel as well , and the build date was 12/12

Your doing well pal have you tried the old fill it to the neck refill ect perhaps use the online calculator?, but you will lose grunt and economy with the bigger tyres.If that's what you are doing you are as good as a dmax well done.

Hey John , if i drop 100ks a tank with the tires and winch ill still be a happy camper

I do not know how you get those sort of figures, even though its factionally lighter then a dual cab i still could never dream of getting almost 1000km out of a tank, even if i unloaded it took off the roof racks and run my stock tyres i just dont think i could get my scangauge to show those digits.

what sort of revs do you change gears at? and how fast do you drive according to the speedo to get those figures?

I'm with you Nathan.....I push to get 1000km out of my tank...and it hold 150 ltrs.

When i took that pic this morning i just left the servo , i had done 723k's and put in 64.5 liters in , meaning i had just on 15 liters left , the fuel light had just came on , its much the same all the time , it varies between 800-900 and until reading this thread i thought it quite normal i usually fill around 800 and take high 60s low 70s liters

Last edited:
What's your truck Steve? Is it a 2012 King Cab?

I'm no mechanic, but they must have changed things like the head, valves, turbo, timings and other logic settings in the cpu/s to improve figures between the KC I have and the KC you have.

I just did some quick maths (and I could be wrong here, pls correct me if I'm wrong)

Truck A. 12 litres per 100Km's = 8.33 km's per litre
Truck B. 9 ltres per 100km's = 11.11 km's per litre

B travels 2.78 km's further per litre.
80 litres x 2.78 km's = 222.49 km's

222.49 km's @ 12 litres / 100km = 18.54 litres, which is just a little bit less than 1 full jerry can.

18.54 litres @ $1.50 per litre = $27.81

There was one person who visited this forum and told us that they'd had a software upgrade to their KC's ECU and suddenly the piss-poor economy became decent economy. I wish we could get the TSB number for that.

What's your truck Steve? Is it a 2012 King Cab?

I'm no mechanic, but they must have changed things like the head, valves, turbo, timings and other logic settings in the cpu/s to improve figures between the KC I have and the KC you have.

I just did some quick maths (and I could be wrong here, pls correct me if I'm wrong)

Truck A. 12 litres per 100Km's = 8.33 km's per litre
Truck B. 9 ltres per 100km's = 11.11 km's per litre

B travels 2.78 km's further per litre.
80 litres x 2.78 km's = 222.49 km's

222.49 km's @ 12 litres / 100km = 18.54 litres, which is just a little bit less than 1 full jerry can.

18.54 litres @ $1.50 per litre = $27.81

build date is 12/12 6 speed manual, snorkel , egr mod , 2.5 cat back exhaust , no muffler ,driven normal

There was one person who visited this forum and told us that they'd had a software upgrade to their KC's ECU and suddenly the piss-poor economy became decent economy. I wish we could get the TSB number for that.

Did you ever know if that bloke had the 4th gear low range problem we all seem to have???

Did you ever know if that bloke had the 4th gear low range problem we all seem to have???

I don't, but it's a bloody good reason to pursue the software issue a little harder. Shame that we haven't seen FB here in a while, he might find the TSB for us. Anyone working in a Nissan dealership want to do it? If you like, you can PM me the information and I'll post it here as "a little bird told me ..." so that there are no repercussions.

When i took that pic this morning i just left the servo , i had done 723k's and put in 64.5 liters in , meaning i had just on 15 liters left , the fuel light had just came on , its much the same all the time , it varies between 800-900 and until reading this thread i thought it quite normal i usually fill around 800 and take high 60s low 70s liters

so your actual figures for that tank are 8.9211LPH (if it was filled to the exact same level as the the pervious tank)

when i look at it like that it seems more achievable for my 2012 ST, If mine didnt have all the extra weight added and no roof racks i think i could get those numbers or very close to as the best i have got has been 9.6LPH

so your actual figures for that tank are 8.9211LPH (if it was filled to the exact same level as the the pervious tank)

when i look at it like that it seems more achievable for my 2012 ST, If mine didnt have all the extra weight added and no roof racks i think i could get those numbers or very close to as the best i have got has been 9.6LPH

well that particular tank , yes you have to remember Nathan , at the moment all i have on it is an ARB bar , and i carry very little weight , stock tires etc , like i said if i can achieve 9,s with a winch and a few extra bits ill be very happy , but thus far iam over the moon as my past 4x4 was lucky to get 500 ks from the same fuel , and if i did get 500 i was sailing into the garage on a prayer

Last edited:
well that particular tank , yes you have to remember Nathan , at the moment all i have on it is an ARB bar , and i carry very little weight , stock tires etc , like i said if i can achieve 9,s with a winch and a few extra bits ill be very happy , but thus far iam over the moon as my past 4x4 was lucky to get 500 ks from the same fuel , and if i did get 500 i was sailing into the garage on a prayer

My ST 12 is seeing 10.8-11.0 with my accessories meaning around 550klms, as casual as I drive it I cant get it any lower. Its going in for the 10,000klm service soon so I'm hoping it may improve some what after that.

Hi Guys, my D40 is a 5/2010 ST-X 2.5 Diesel Auto and at the moment only has a ARB bar on it. my first long drive- on black top, i was getting over 800kms on the tank. At that time i was getting 9.9lt/100km. i was very happy with these figures. i am getting around 650kms/tank around town. not bad for melbourne traffic.

Would be interesting to find out why some are getting great figures , and why some are getting crap ones , weather there's some common thread in both , or the good ones are just fluke engines

Would be interesting to find out why some are getting great figures , and why some are getting crap ones , weather there's some common thread in both , or the good ones are just fluke engines

I dont think it all comes down to the engine, i think the main difference would be the car set up, tyres and pressure, load, accessories and most importantly driving style, as has been said plenty of times your easy might not be the same as my taking it easy ect

I tend to agree , however if it could be worked out , iam sure it would be a benefit to everyone , ill be adding a winch , tires, lights and bash plate very shortly , and probably all at the same time , so that will be interesting

I tend to agree , however if it could be worked out , iam sure it would be a benefit to everyone , ill be adding a winch , tires, lights and bash plate very shortly , and probably all at the same time , so that will be interesting

I will be keen to see the change.
Carrying all that stuff will have to make a difference just my sliders that scotty made are bloody heavy i would say at-least 50-60kg, + rear bar+ bullbar +12000lb winch 40kg + the ARB plates go back so far under the car they have to be at-least 50kg i think im carrying around 250kg in add ons + roof racks which they say are a loss of roughly 5% economy.

If you could work it out you could sell the idea and be rich because there will never be an exact formula and just adding a bit of weight will not necessarily effect you economy. I can drive around with the tub full and get the same economy figures as when the tub is empty, it may or may not be sustainable across the entire tank because of hills, wind, temps and a heap of other factors but it can be done. Adding weight on the outside may have some effect in that wind resistance may be effected but weight alone (the kind anyone here is adding in mods) is not a definite factor in changing economy.

Latest posts

Back