D40 headlights are poop....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwinta

Reaction score
Guys I am very pleased with my new shiny 2011 ST-X especialy as it is my first brand new car that I have ever splashed out on..... but... there are a few things I am a little dissapointed with.... I will only go into the headlights though and not mention the less than average service of the Nissan dealer- ehem ehem...
I recently went on a trip and had to leave at 3 am in the rain and head north through kangaroo country and as you can immagine I had a few close ones before it got light.... I found the headlights are just plain crap and the green head light and blue hi beam indicator lights on the dash don't dim with the other instruments so end up being quite blinding with such little light from the headlights. I intend to fit spotties when the correct bull bar gets fitted (one of the other things I won't go into), that will assist in the problem on an empty road but I mainly drive on long straight roads where there is useualy a car in the distance so I could not have my spotties iluminated... I read about HID conversions for headlights but the few posts I read were negative and said they were ileagal too.. I read about fatboy globes but the heat that comes off the standard globes worries me that they may get too hot, besides @ $180 - $200 a ste for globes for f**k sake- thats a bit much...
Has anybody managed to remedy this problem with their UTE without having to spend a fortune? If you have I would be very greatfull of a few tips...

Thanks - Winta

Cant help much with the lights themselves, but in my R51 I put some neutral density photo filter behind the dash over the high beam telltale (My R51 is six years old and does not have a green "Headlights on" telltale, just a high beam one)

The filter and the glue (Photo Leim) are easy to get from any decent photographic place/camera store and it too about an hour to pull the dash out and get to the right bit to fit it.

It's one thing that I didn't like about the Navara. I have no advice other than how it went for me ...

I took a demo vehicle out at night before taking delivery of mine and noticed how poor the headlight performance was and next day I was back ordering decent spotlights for mine.

One of the first things I changed after taking delivery: the headlight globes. I chose fat boys.

I am happy with the amount of light now, except for the spread at night when we're negotiating tight forest trails. To remedy this, I am contemplating adding some lower-wattage lights that are aimed a little out to each side so I can see a bit around the bend.

Guys I am very pleased with my new shiny 2011 ST-X especialy as it is my first brand new car that I have ever splashed out on..... but... there are a few things I am a little dissapointed with.... I will only go into the headlights though and not mention the less than average service of the Nissan dealer- ehem ehem...
I recently went on a trip and had to leave at 3 am in the rain and head north through kangaroo country and as you can immagine I had a few close ones before it got light.... I found the headlights are just plain crap and the green head light and blue hi beam indicator lights on the dash don't dim with the other instruments so end up being quite blinding with such little light from the headlights. I intend to fit spotties when the correct bull bar gets fitted (one of the other things I won't go into), that will assist in the problem on an empty road but I mainly drive on long straight roads where there is useualy a car in the distance so I could not have my spotties iluminated... I read about HID conversions for headlights but the few posts I read were negative and said they were ileagal too.. I read about fatboy globes but the heat that comes off the standard globes worries me that they may get too hot, besides @ $180 - $200 a ste for globes for f**k sake- thats a bit much...
Has anybody managed to remedy this problem with their UTE without having to spend a fortune? If you have I would be very greatfull of a few tips...

Thanks - Winta

Hi Winta

I just brought my navara too. I also thought the headlights were poor so I did the HID conversion. I am very impressed with the lights now ! Other drivers don't seem to like them as much but with the 3 stage bulb lowering switch I angle them down. They are illegal in QLD but I have never had any trouble with them. I've even been pulled over and not a word is said about them.

I will try upload some photos for you later on.

Brendon

Hi Winta

I just brought my navara too. I also thought the headlights were poor so I did the HID conversion. I am very impressed with the lights now ! Other drivers don't seem to like them as much but with the 3 stage bulb lowering switch I angle them down. They are illegal in QLD but I have never had any trouble with them. I've even been pulled over and not a word is said about them.

I will try upload some photos for you later on.

Brendon

Just put some pics in an album. Wasnt sure how to upload to this post.
Check my profile or go here

http://www.navara.asia/album.php?albumid=218

Thanks for the tips guys... I am trying to avoid putting in HID as I have read a lot of mixed reviews on them such as the focusing of the globe has to be spot on etc and they are ileagal- that doesn't bother me too much though... and the fact that they are so dam expencive..... I aint no tight arse I just cant afford to spend 700+ on them at the moment. I intend to put some spotties on when the roo bar is sorted and I have just ordered some Philips extreem vision +100% and at $55 delivered from Ebay then hopefully they will help out a bit....

I did a headlight HID conversion yesterday and love the results. Shits all over the original crap and at the same price of a set of Fatboys you can't go wrong. Yea they may not conform to ADR's and therefore MAY be illegal, but remember, it's not illegal if you don't get caught :rock:

There are lots of mods people do to there cars which are illegal mods. As far as i'm concerned the light conversion was done for the safety of my family so i sleep well at night. 5" suspension conversions and the like are, in my opinion, a bit over the top.

Go the HID conversion. You'll love em.

While i'm here, does anyone know how to get the front parker light globes out. The HID supplier chucked in a set so the parkers are the same colour as the headlights. At the moment i have white headlights and yellow parkers. Looks stupid.

Last edited:
I did a headlight HID conversion yesterday and love the results. Shits all over the original crap and at the same price of a set of Fatboys you can't go wrong. Yea they may not conform to ADR's and therefore MAY be illegal, but remember, it's not illegal if you don't get caught :rock:

There are lots of mods people do to there cars which are illegal mods. As far as i'm concerned the light conversion was done for the safety of my family so i sleep well at night. 5" suspension conversions and the like are, in my opinion, a bit over the top.

Go the HID conversion. You'll love em.

While i'm here, does anyone know how to get the front parker light globes out. The HID supplier chucked in a set so the parkers are the same colour as the headlights. At the moment i have white headlights and yellow parkers. Looks stupid.

Where did you get the HID kit from if you don't mind me asking? I spoke to a guy I work with today and he said the same as you, they are well worth it. His kit cost him $110 for the philips kit but conveniently can't remember where he bought it from....

just a little more info to read before you make your decision. Follow the link in the first post
http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=9253

Interesting read... thanks for the link... I wreckon these extreem vision globes I ordered should make more than enough difference for what I need- I hope they do any way!!! I just ordered some Roo Lite 220 xp's from a guy in Perth for $270 so on the long empty roads they should do the job.. I have also seen an HID kit for them for $50 on ebay so at that price I might give them a go....

I've got a new ST and quite like the lights. I've even had others in the car with me comment on how well it illuminates.
My wife bought me a set of IPF driving lights and with my long distances on very remote roads, I've seen every roo before it got me - so far.
I've looked into the HID kit and the local auto electrical retailer quoted me $180 for the kit - which seemed easy to fit. BUT, like you, I haven't gone that way because I've heard mixed results; some say the low beam is worse but high is better and others said visa versa.
As for the high-beam in-dash indicator, I cut a small (1cm sqr) piece of black (matt) electrical tape and stuck it over the light, on the outside of the clear instrument window. Sounds dicky, but you wouldn't know it was there unless you were looking for it, and, at that size, when the high beam is on, you can see the blue light illuminate around it - just doesn't shine in your face.

New now 60/55w Narva plus100. $52 @ Auto1. Worth the money and legal.

Hey Aussie Frontier, just ordered some globes off ebay from your link. Hope it improves the lighting on mine, because the factory jobs are shite and quite scary on the country runs. Put Lightforce Genesis on the roo bar which has transformed it, but would like to rely on the headlights for a bit more oomph.

I really agree with the plus 50 or plus 100, makes heaps of difference and cheap and adr

Latest posts

Back