D40 Ironman lift kit - interesting results

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyD40

Reaction score
Sent my D40 RX for a face lift, umm ... sorry, i meant a 2" Suspension lift.

Because i intend to do a fair bit of towing when on holidays (either with boat or off road camper trailer) and i tend to load the back of the Ute up with everything i can think off, i got advise from my local 4x4 shop about what suspension lift i should get.

The day i was in talking to my friend in the shop, the Ironman rep was there. I took them out to my car, showed them the over-engineered drawer system i have, the 2nd battery, the 50l waeco fridge (loaded with coke and beer) provision for 4xjerry cans etc etc etc. THEN we looked under the car to see how the OEM suspension was coping! YIKES, the springs looked to be inverted.

The Ironman rep said we need to fix 2 issues, the loaded state of the vehicle, and also get the required 2" lift. For that, Ironman do different grades of suspension lift kits - most people probably opt for the A or B version, but my car required the C version.

Well, yesterday was the day it finally happened. Once my mechanical friend took all the old stuff out, he phoned me to say that my rear shockies where stuffed (the car is only 10 months old ? what the ? )

Here are the measurements, before and after lift. (note, i believe the measurements are from top of 16" OEM rim to u/s wheel arch)

Front Right, was 285mm, now 347mm
Front Left was 292mm, now 350mm

Back Right, was 270, now 380
Back Left, was 282, now 390

I know the new suspension will sag a bit over the next few weeks, but thats awesome figures, approx 60mm lift to the front, and a whopping 110mm at the rear. The original suspension must have been really sagging badly, for a 2" lift to give me over 4" in reality!

It certainly feels very different to drive, and i mean that in a good way. :rock:

The only noticable problem is that the after market cruise control sensor on the tail shaft needs to be adjusted, as the cruise control aint working atm. But that will be an easy fix for me this afternoon i'm thinking. It aint got me worried at least.

P8130065.jpg

P8130068.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad mate looks the goods. I take it you had the 'Constant Load' Kit installed? Do you mind i ask how much it cost fully installed?

Not bad mate looks the goods. I take it you had the 'Constant Load' Kit installed? Do you mind i ask how much it cost fully installed?

I havent actually got the bill yet. My mate is supposed to invoice me today so i can pay via internet banking ... but i do know that i'm paying less than advertised retail for the parts, and i'm not paying full commercial mechanics rates for the fitting either. So best if i dont actually quote what the 'mates rates' are when i get the bill, as he is unlikely to do it for the same price again.

Mmmm, big difference in measurements thats for sure. Looks like it was well worth doing.

I've really got to do mine soon, after 120000ks I'm sure the standard Nissan suspension is flogged past being useful. Plus the front bump stop metal pieces are polished like a mirror, must be riding it all the time, :big_smile:

Hoo Roo

Mmmm, big difference in measurements thats for sure. Looks like it was well worth doing.

I've really got to do mine soon, after 120000ks I'm sure the standard Nissan suspension is flogged past being useful. Plus the front bump stop metal pieces are polished like a mirror, must be riding it all the time, :big_smile:

Hoo Roo

Mine was the same, my leaves weren't that bad though I only carry maybe 100kg in the back if I am lucky on a average day.

But now its running Lovell leafs and Tough Dog torsion bars, might look into torsion bars again though and see what Lovells are like compared to Tough Dog.

Dave.

apparently i heard our d40's leafs are close to flat by default which apparently provides a comfier ride..mine are slightly concaved up but i dont have anything in the tray plus its 2006 model (sagged)

Sent my D40 RX for a face lift, umm ... sorry, i meant a 2" Suspension lift.

Because i intend to do a fair bit of towing when on holidays (either with boat or off road camper trailer) and i tend to load the back of the Ute up with everything i can think off, i got advise from my local 4x4 shop about what suspension lift i should get.

The day i was in talking to my friend in the shop, the Ironman rep was there. I took them out to my car, showed them the over-engineered drawer system i have, the 2nd battery, the 50l waeco fridge (loaded with coke and beer) provision for 4xjerry cans etc etc etc. THEN we looked under the car to see how the OEM suspension was coping! YIKES, the springs looked to be inverted.

The Ironman rep said we need to fix 2 issues, the loaded state of the vehicle, and also get the required 2" lift. For that, Ironman do different grades of suspension lift kits - most people probably opt for the A or B version, but my car required the C version.

Well, yesterday was the day it finally happened. Once my mechanical friend took all the old stuff out, he phoned me to say that my rear shockies where stuffed (the car is only 10 months old ? what the ? )

Here are the measurements, before and after lift. (note, i believe the measurements are from top of 16" OEM rim to u/s wheel arch)

Front Right, was 285mm, now 347mm
Front Left was 292mm, now 350mm

Back Right, was 270, now 380
Back Left, was 282, now 390

I know the new suspension will sag a bit over the next few weeks, but thats awesome figures, approx 60mm lift to the front, and a whopping 110mm at the rear. The original suspension must have been really sagging badly, for a 2" lift to give me over 4" in reality!

It certainly feels very different to drive, and i mean that in a good way. :rock:

The only noticable problem is that the after market cruise control sensor on the tail shaft needs to be adjusted, as the cruise control aint working atm. But that will be an easy fix for me this afternoon i'm thinking. It aint got me worried at least.

Best you check the rear ABS and brake lines, with that much rear lift they will get stretched on full articulation. Front's will be fine.

Best you check the rear ABS and brake lines, with that much rear lift they will get stretched on full articulation. Front's will be fine.

That's the first question I asked my mechanic. He assured me there was no problem with the brake lines. But it will be on my check list every time I go off-road, that's for sure.

Well, looks like i get to test out the suspension tomorrow, as well as the new MAXXIS 32" muddies i put on.

I'll try to remember to take photos of the Nav getting dirty (hopefully muddy too) and will post photo's on sunday or monday - depend how long it takes me to wake up after the trip.

awsome gain. check the front spring housing and the control arm. mine got lifted 35mm over standard and there's only 5mm gap between.

D40Auto - welcome as a new member (i know Tivoli well - i grew up near there)

I should be able to post some piccys up later today from my weekend trip. Just a quick note to say that the lift kit worked very very well on saturday - only touched once all day, and i really put the car through its paces. Even the Mrs was impressed.

Bloody hell Woody get with the program how are you suppose to avoid work all day if you leave the toys at home.

My deepest apologies Krafty, i didn't intend to upset you with my neglect.

In my defense, i'm sitting at the 'puter pretending to work, but i'm reading 4wd Overlander magazine that i stole from home which i had hiden amongst paperwork that had to come to the office.

Your apology is accepted and the neglect well I've come to expect that since you became a senior member.

Looks like it's back to hunting out in dash Nav systems for me cause I'm not planning any more work today I did 10 mins of paper work before.

Latest posts

Back