D40 Ironman lift kit - interesting results

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your apology is accepted and the neglect well I've come to expect that since you became a senior member.

Looks like it's back to hunting out in dash Nav systems for me cause I'm not planning any more work today I did 10 mins of paper work before.

ooooo ... you have sparked my interest there Krafty - my navman is NOT upto the task for off-road work (not really happy with it any more for normal street navigation either)

btw ... i havn't even done 10 minutes work yet !

ooooo ... you have sparked my interest there Krafty - my navman is NOT upto the task for off-road work (not really happy with it any more for normal street navigation either)

btw ... i havn't even done 10 minutes work yet !

Offroad does need a more dedicated map package than most unit are sold with which does suck because Hema's and the like aren't really that cheap, especially not when you already have another one. My Mio actually learns tracks as I travel on them, it might not know where I am going but once I've been there it can get me back there and I've used the feature a number of times down in East Gippy but none of the new Mio's seem to do the same thing. I think since Mio took over Navman (and others) they have dropped the ball a bit and let their units slip down the line. While a good GPS is more about the maps it contains than the brand name I'm not really that impressed with any of the so called market leaders (market leaders being those you can buy from just about every gadget and electronics shop).

As for work my 10 mins added to the 14 hours yesterday means that I've got another 4 hours ahead of me on Wednesday and thats it for the week so I'm glad I got my 10 mins out of the way early.

Well looks like i've totally stuffed up ... cant find the camera used on the weekend, so no photo's atm. dammit.

Hey that's a good excuse for a change, usually I just use the same old excuse along the lines of not thinking about taking photos or not remembering to take the camera but you've given me one more the for excuse box now, thanks Woody.

That's the first question I asked my mechanic. He assured me there was no problem with the brake lines. But it will be on my check list every time I go off-road, that's for sure.

Just want to reinforce Kingcab's comment. My 300kg leaf pack lifted the rear suspension quite high and despite EFS saying extended brake lines were not needed - they were!! At full articulation my factory lines were limiting the suspension travel, which is not nice. Fixed easily with some braided lines.

Just want to reinforce Kingcab's comment. My 300kg leaf pack lifted the rear suspension quite high and despite EFS saying extended brake lines were not needed - they were!! At full articulation my factory lines were limiting the suspension travel, which is not nice. Fixed easily with some braided lines.

What is the best way for me to check?

My mechanic had the ute on the hoist with all the wheel hanging, and said the brake lines were fine ...

So how do i satisfy myself that it really is ok? I dont have a hoist at home ...

What is the best way for me to check?

My mechanic had the ute on the hoist with all the wheel hanging, and said the brake lines were fine ...

So how do i satisfy myself that it really is ok? I dont have a hoist at home ...

Your mechanic is a fair idiot, thinking that was all the flex in the rear end...

You need to jack up one wheel, high enough so the opposite tyre is lifted clear off the ground. This will show you if the brake lines and ABS are long enough, and it will also show if the shocks are longer enough too.

As you can see in the attached photo, by lifting the one wheel up, forces the other side down far further than it would be with the whole axle hanging evenly from a hoist.

I'll pretty much guarantee your standard length brake lines will get stretched when you try it!

Attachments

• Rubicon_Express_Lift_Kit_015.jpg
    Rubicon_Express_Lift_Kit_015.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 275
Bring it down here we'll do it on the tractor. Make sure your insurance is paid up though lifting it with the forks under the drivers seat might let water in at a future date.

oooo ... i feel a drive into gippsland is coming up real soon ....

thanks for the offer Krafty - i might take you up on that in the next week or so ...

You're one game sucker Woody :eviltongue:

I don't even know whether it would work, we've lifted the 2.5 tonne cattle trailer off the ground with the forks but that wasn't 6 foot in the air. Still if your willing to best a test bunny who knows we might reach new heights.

Last edited by a moderator:
just keep a steady hand on the throttle ... i dont wanna throw the car over ... cant imagine explaining THAT to any insurance ...

Forks don't require any throttle when the engine is running. My main issue will be that because they are hay forks and not adjustable it would need a board or something solid to bridge the gap. Lifting it to any height really isn't an issue it's stopping it from moving.

Don't worry about it tipping over we'll do it in the hay paddock, if it tips over you'll get a few good rolls out of it and there is a 50/50 chance of it landing wheels up.

now, that is more my style .... JUST DONT FORGET THE CAMERA THIS TIME !!!!

we'll get both Nav's dirty - just need a large blow up beach ball so we can play soccer with the cars in the mud ....

Mines already filthy, can't even get up the driveway in 2wd any more and I seem to be taking more mud home with me each day I'm out there. We can use the ball and play keepings off the bulls, only one of the bulls rivals the Nav for weigh.

PMSL

damm shame i'm going to the snow this saturday, otherwise i'd come down this weekend to visit you.

Rampage would love to see you. I'm sure over the standing quarter mile in his paddock 1700kgs of bull would give your Nav a run for it's money. He likes Blue so he lets me win the races we have, Silver's not his favourite colour so he might not race fair with you :big_smile:

hows next wednesday for you? i have a site visit and building measure to do down at Inverloch ... i could take a nice detour before coming back to Berwick ?

Latest posts

Back