D40 New bits - warranty

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jardsoooo

Reaction score
Hey guys

I was on the forum a while ago discussing the haphazard performance of my 2010 Thai build series 3 D40.

Thanks to all the usual suspects for all the thoughts and insights at the time.

Just thought I would pop back to report some interesting developments.

Basically over the past 3 or so years the truck has been a bit of a lottery in regards performance on any given day any given hour ( blank looks from the dealer - computer says its fine ) tho the base line performance has certainly been on the improve particularly past the 30k mark.

Last time here I had become convinced that the issues were due to a faulty ECU earth as I had, at the suggestion of forum member Dan, removed the earth strap, cleaned off the paint, put it back on and the old girl was behaving beautifully - more grunt, more power, much smoother.

Over the next few weeks tho she started to slip back a little and I eventually concluded that the instant perkiness I had experienced was probably due more the inadvertent ECU reset that would have occurred when the earth strap was removed.

None the less she never went back to the real sluggishness as previously and things like changing the fuel filter def helped.

Recently I had the turbo actuator valve replaced - AGAIN - under warranty and this time they replaced all the plumbing between the airbox and the turbo with a redesigned unit, along with related vacuum plumbing.

The truck def came back from the dealer a little perkier but as they also reset the fuel pump I don't know which is responsible.

Just before she went in for the operation she started seriously playing up - flat spots between gear changes, completely dying, hunting all over the place - still intermittent but becoming reasonably predictable.

This was in fact the reason for the afore mentioned fuel pump reset but it didn't help and today she went in for further diagnosis.

I was pretty much expecting the " computer says no " routine as usual so I was very pleasantly surprised when they called before 9am to say they were replacing the suction control valve ( as soon as it arrives from the moon or somewhere)

Unacceptable fluctuations in rail pressure !

Now this is pretty exciting as my reading on the matter was indicating that this valve is a prime candidate for being responsible for the variable performance

Valve goes in Saturday - cant wait.

BTW All this recent work is being taken care of by the genuine Nissan extended warranty and so far its working just like the factory one. Work done - nothing to pay.

Other matters: I changed the diff oil a while ago - it's an LSD - and what came out ( factory filled) wasn't much thicker than water. The 80/90 I put back in was more like honey. I'm hoping this will make the dif perform a little more like an LSD should. In the past it has def only been one wheel driving- even on wet grass.

and really I must give the dealer - Unley Nissan in Adelaide - some credit here - while they hav'nt generally been great at anything investigative beyond plugging the consult box in, the times when the issue has a little more cut and dried they have acted pretty smartly with no hassles about he said she said who serviced the vehicle etc ( and the truck is into it's extended warranty period ) and in fact the scv fault was diagnosed with out an error code being presented. Even came back washed last time in.

Wow you have certainly had some issues
Its good to hear you have a good dealer helping you out
They are as rare as hens teeth
Goodluck and please continue to update us
Your sort of feedback/issues can help others
Cheers

Ok so the new SCV has been in the truck for a few days now and while I'm not prepared to go out on a limb at this point and state categorically the historical performance oddities have been resolved, it is clear that I'm driving a very differently behaved vehicle.

Firstly the bog down experienced on take off - necessitating a clutch slip to get going has disappeared. Still nothing much under 1500 but it pulls smoothly from pretty much idle. Its like it ramps up the 1500 point rather that absolutely nothing then bang

It no longer feels starved for fuel under load as it always has.

Fuel mileage appears improved - currently sitting on 750 k's on this tank with the gauge on 1/4 - is usually just hitting the fuel light at this point - but will have to sus it over a few tanks to be sure

Appears to be much reduced smoke output under load

So generally the vehicle appears more responsive with a smoother delivery of power and it would appear that the SCV was faulty the day it rolled off the line.

So yeah - quietly happy chappy right now. We'll see how it goes in the next while.

Anyway - the measured symptom was excessively variable rail pressure

Latest posts

Back