D40 New Transfer Case Stuck In Low Range

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waanimal

Reaction score
Hi guys

I just replaced my transfer case that had a flogged out bearing housing with a second hand one that has done 60km. I installed it myself with no dramas until I went for a test drive and it is stuck in 4Low. I have tried driving back and forward resetting the ECU and manually engaging the selector using this method http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=25837&highlight=stuck
and none of this has made any difference. The secondhand case wasn't supplied with any sensors so I have used my original ones which were fine this morning so I am assuming they still are.
Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Are you saying that the mechanism that the servo turns over is stuck in the 4LO position, or manually turning it to 2HI results in it turning back to 4LO when the car is turned back on?

Hi Tony, I tried resetting the selector again and that worked thankfully.
I took it for a test drive and now the speedo doesn't work. The case I received does not have a hole for the front revolution sensor and if I drive any faster than approx 60km/hr the engine goes into limp mode. Is there a way I can fix this easily as I do not want to drill a hole into the new transfer case to mount the sensor for fear of drilling too deep. I have a RX model which I did tell the wrecker but he obviously wasn't aware of the differences between models. I have contacted him to see what he can do with an exchange but I'd rather not spend another 5 hours changing the case again

Depends on the model. Not sure which way they went with the RX (or KC, both being Thai builds) but the Spanish builds all got their speed data from the ABS sensors.

The manual does have a section about this but I haven't found the actual sensor. I'd imagine that it's going to need to be connected to something inside the box anyway, so at the very least the case will have to come apart - that's even if you can connect the sensor in this TF.

That's annoying. The sensor is probably a coil that has a current induced when a magnet passes it (the magnet being on the front drive shaft, item 20 on p118). The key question is, does your new TF have the magnet, or could you check the old TF to see what it is the sensor is sensing? That would have to be present in the new TF for the sensor to work.

Latest posts

Back