D40 NO turbo whistle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing to remember is that you are hearing them from the outside - not from within their passenger compartment. Think about the NVH insulation cutting high frequency noises down.

When my left hand front window is down, I can hear quite a decent whistle from the turbo. When it's up, nothing.

The thing to remember is that you are hearing them from the outside - not from within their passenger compartment. Think about the NVH insulation cutting high frequency noises down. When my left hand front window is down, I can hear quite a decent whistle from the turbo. When it's up, nothing.

Hit the nail square on the head. Was just waiting for someone to say it.

If i put ye ol' wireless on mute, i can hear it winding up, when the missus is driving if i've had a few beers, i can clearly hear it from the passenger side window down.

I had a heavily modified f6 typhoon before that sounded like a jet plane when it was coming onto boost. I know it will never sound like that and dont have any unrealistic expectations but a bit of noise would be nice. The nav is just a little too sedate for me, especially when I hear some of the other 4x4's

You also have to remember, bigger 4x4's and your Typhoon run wastegated turbos and also different turbos. From factory, Nissan make these things to general public specs. Quiet and fuel economical. They dont have the offroading community in mind. Hence such a market for aftermarket gear.

I just had my EGR pipe cleaned out and a new K&n air filter installed... The turbo is louder than the engine almost! Oh and I have a snorkel which projects the sound more

I just had my EGR pipe cleaned out and a new K&n air filter installed... The turbo is louder than the engine almost! Oh and I have a snorkel which projects the sound more

Cleaned? Why not block it? Heaps better. Get rid of the k&n. The oil on them stuffs your MAFS. Then you are up for minimum $400 for a new one

Cleaned? Why not block it? Heaps better. Get rid of the k&n. The oil on them stuffs your MAFS. Then you are up for minimum $400 for a new one

the K&N filters are fine as long as you dont over oil them by using way to much oil when doing maintenance on them, where most people go wrong is pouring the oil over the elements to cover 100% of it straight away instead of letting it "WICK" from small lines of oil.
Then they whack it straight into the car and drive away, when they really should let it sit for at least 4hrs to let any excess oil drain out.
If they are serviced correctly they are as good as anything else, however if you do allot of dirt roads they will need servicing more regularly.

I was only giving it one coat of very fine mist. Could barely see it. MAF still got oil on it. Took it out, put paper filter back in, cleaned MAFS, been clean ever since.

I was only giving it one coat of very fine mist. Could barely see it. MAF still got oil on it. Took it out, put paper filter back in, cleaned MAFS, been clean ever since.

did you spray the oil on or dribble it on from the bottle?? and did you let it sit for a good four or more hrs before putting it back in the car?

Im not a fan of the spray on oil K&N sell, but the normal red oil that is in the bottle is ok.

I only ask because i ran one in my 2010 ST for over 80'000km and no probs at all and my brother inlaw now owns the car and has been using the K&N for a further 30'000km and still no probs

Been on a couple of central Aus trips when I lived on the mainland. On both occasions we had vehicles fitted with K&N filters in the convoys, and on both occasions those vehicles had dust leakage past the filter. None of the vehicles fitted with paper air filters had dust leakage into the intake.

My EGR is blocked... Apparently it still builds with soot so dunno what the go is there.

The pump spray is easier to use. One very fine coating, let it sit upright for a while. Plus i find myself doing more offroad now so i ditched it.

thats why i dont use the spray it doesnt penetrate like the oil does and therefore not as effective, and probably the reason why people get oil on the MAFS and why others are winging about dust leakage.

It may take i minute or two longer to drizzle the oil across the elements but then you can see the "wicking" action take place and intern are assured that the elements is coated in the sticky oil which is as im sure you know meant to catch the dust particles as the air gets sucked through the filter.
Look at a motox bike with its foam filters and the environment they are designed to be used in, i raced motox from when i was 7 to 30 and still ride know and never had any dust get passed a CORRECTLY maintained filter even after riding on tracks where you are lucky to see the track never mind the guy who is throwing up all the dust, some of that stuff is so fine it floats from the previous laps

When i first saw my dirty maf it was 2 months after i fitted the brand new k&n...never re oiled it i just got a droopie for the snorkle.really just a 2 stage filter now...also keeps the bugs and bees out of the k&n too.

thats why i dont use the spray it doesnt penetrate like the oil does and therefore not as effective, and probably the reason why people get oil on the MAFS and why others are winging about dust leakage. It may take i minute or two longer to drizzle the oil across the elements but then you can see the "wicking" action take place and intern are assured that the elements is coated in the sticky oil which is as im sure you know meant to catch the dust particles as the air gets sucked through the filter. Look at a motox bike with its foam filters and the environment they are designed to be used in, i raced motox from when i was 7 to 30 and still ride know and never had any dust get passed a CORRECTLY maintained filter even after riding on tracks where you are lucky to see the track never mind the guy who is throwing up all the dust, some of that stuff is so fine it floats from the previous laps

Bit of a diff between bike foam filters and k&n's though man. My Yamaha foam filter is alot more of a denser foam than the gear in the k&n panel filters.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back