D40 Not Starting

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wattysan

Reaction score
I hope someone to help. My 2010 Thai D40 developed a starting problem on Saturday. This is a bit long but it may give a clue.

I filled up on the way way to long weekend camping trip and drove about 60kms without issue. Pulled up and stopped for about 20 minutes while waiting for the rest of the group to arrive. Then it would not restart.

Called RACQ, they sprayed some "Start You Bastard" in airway and it started again. Drove ok to campground, only about 20kms. Turned it off and it would not start.

Got a lift into town, bought a can of "Start You Bastard". It started with it. Left overnight, started fine in the morning. Went to town, would not restart even with the yellow can. Left it for another 30 minutes and it restarted.

Packed car up this morning and it started first time. Drove back to Brisbane.

It has rattle sound like an injector is not getting enough fuel. The car seems to be getting worse.

On the drive back, the power is down and shuts off if you try and load it from take off or up a hill.

Stalled on idle and now won't restart at all.

Any ideas would be great, even if to assist with discussions at Nissan.

I've had a similar problem with a fuel injected petrol motorbike once upon a time. Would run while it was running, but would not start. In that case it was 'gunk' in the petrol that had made it's way into the fuel pump.

I would bet that you put in some bad diesel or diesel that is full of crap, it's blocking up your fuel filter and may be causing issues with your fuel pump.

If it were me I would be draining the fuel tank and having a look, then replace fuel filter and fill tank with good clean diesel.

Just occurred to me that it could also be an air leak in the fuel system. Easiest way to check is to push the plunger on top of the fuel filter before starting it. If it takes 'a bunch' of pumps before it feels firm then it's possible you have air leak on the low pressure side of the system.

Some of the more experienced guys will tell you how many pumps you should expect for a good and bad system.

Funnily enough I tried that at my brothers place, took 6 times to gain pressure after the drive back.

It has been sitting outside my place for a couple of hours and would not start. It took 10 or 11 pumps to get pressure this time but started immediately pressure was present.

It is obviously getting worse but it may be part of the problem.

There have been a few guys have problems with aftermarket fuel filters leaking, with the Nissan one you also have to be careful when fitting it to make sure it seals properly.

If it takes 10-11 pumps to get the fuel system primed then there's unquestionably an air leak. Check the following things:

1) Primer bulb might have fine cracks in it
2) Fuel hoses attached to the filter may have been under or overtightened (either can cause leaks)
3) The fuel filter's inner seal isn't seated 100% perfectly. Even genuine filters have the problem occasionally.

The leak won't show as diesel being sprayed around the engine bay - it's almost always on the suction side and the incredible amount of suction the pump can develop will draw air in through the tiniest hole/gap/split/crack. Since air is something like 600 times less dense than diesel, you won't necessarily see even a smudge around it.

Sorted - Costly Mistake at Fuel Pump

Thanks Kernels and Old Tony for your advice. However, all the advice in the world can't account for stupidity.

It turns out I topped up the tank with unleaded according to my Nissan dealer. I could not believe I would make such a mistake and went through the processor retracing my steps. I was convinced that the nozzles must have been swapped or something like that.

The large BP highway service centre were very helpful in tracking down the transaction and said that I put in about 40 litres.

At least I knew who to blame and that it was not some sort of gremlin to track down. Some sort of comfort to help me get over the $800 charge. That and the fact that it appears that more expensive damage has not occurred like the injector pump.

I must give credit to the Nissan dealers who were very professional and fixed the problem extremely efficiently today. They said that this mistake is very common.

Latest posts

Back