D40 oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good advice for sure, although we cannot forget the DPF. It MUST have the low ash, and all of them I have found are 5w^ see thread "which oil"

Last edited:
I have an 2006 4.0L V6 (118,000KM) which was having some power and oil usage issues lately. I'm pulling a c'van around OZ so it's easy to notice changes.
Last week I had it in Sunco Nissan to sort it out and they told me that there is no problem with the engine BUT it had the wrong grade oil in it.
Nissan in MacKay had put it 10W30 at service, not 5W30. The effect of this is that the oil doesn't flow back to the sump quick enough and it doesn't lubricate the timing chain properly because it's too thick.
This leads to excessive oil usage (not burnt) and "off" timing.
I have only driven it a couple of hundred K's since then but it is a different animal now.
Compression is excellent and plugs were not fouled with oil. It did show that the mob in Perth who I paid to fit 6 new plugs only changed 3. The other 3 the manifold has to be removed.

I thought the first number on the oil was only for ambient temperature at start up ?? The second number was the viscosity with the engine at running temp. Engine temps are up to 90 deg C ??

Back