D40 or D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew96

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm tossing up between a brand new d22 str and a d40 st
I'm thinking is it better to spend $8000 more and get the d40 over the d22. I want something that is a comfortable daily and good offroad. Does the d40 have more problems then the d22? Thanks.

since you want comfort - better off to get D40 over d22, you go more room in the rear than the D22 model

Get a Great Wall, Navaras are plagued with problems and just ticking time bombs.

The question you are asking is purely a personal one. Both work, both will fulfill the needs you request, but there are differences, you need to look at them both and decided which of those differences you like the best, no one else can tell you which ones you like.

Yeah I think I'll go see both of them and go from there.

Yup, do that. ^^^

I was keen as mustard on a D22. I found an outstanding second hand example and took it for a test drive. Unfortunately, one thing my research hadn't told me was that I wouldn't like the seating position and would find the cabin a bit on the small side.

Took a D40 for a run and it fitted me like a glove.

I'd recommend arranging a test drive with both from a dealership. Driving around one around for 30 minutes will go a long way to helping you make a decision. And once you've leant towards one or the other, ask the dealer if you can loan the demo overnight. I was fortunate that our local dealer allowed me to do just that and I ran the demo around a bunch of roads (suburbia, highway, hills, country) to get a feel for what it'd be like to live with.

It was priceless and really instilled me with confidence that I was making the right decision.

what about a D40 RX? I saw brand new white ones at my local stealership for $32000 DA this was for a manual dual cab.

Last edited:
Yeah there's them and the mitusbishi triton glx 4x4 for 31,990 da. It's a hard one. But I narrowed it done to the st and str. I wanted carpet and a few more goodies

If it's size your after , the choice is simple the D40, the tub size on the D22 and for the guy above ^^^ is tiny , i had an ML triton for 300,000 ks and was forever trying to fit things in it , this time i got the king cab D40,the tub is 1950x1500 VS 1300x1300 on the duel cab triton from memory the D40 duel cab is 1500x1500
heaps more room inside too , in the States they classify the D40 ( Frontera ) as a 3/4 size pick up and the Hlux and like as a small pick up

Back