D40 roof rack mounting

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micmac71

Reaction score
G'day guys I'm after a bit of advice. I want to put some rhino track mounted roof racks on my 2012 D40 but am not sure of drilling straight throught the roof. I've seen it before on the forum but ARB are telling me that I must take the roof lining out first. Bit worried about the airbags though.

Does the roof lining need to come out and what about the swarf going inside?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• D40_Ute_HDA_G1_L.jpg
    D40_Ute_HDA_G1_L.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,087
I drilled a hole through the roof for my CB aerial, don't stress out about it, easy to pull roof lining down then put something between airbag & tin roof when you drill. (large paint scraper)

I put the rhino racks on my D40. There are two skins, you do not need to pull the roof lining, just drill through, there is a second skin which protects the drill from going through anything else.

The job took about 2 hours. Just make sure you measure everything up, and then measure again...

Pretty easy job , did mine also you need a 5 mm pin punch from memory to smack the second skin down so the pop rivet fits in properly. Most of the swarf stays outside as the drill bit spins it away. Use a centre punch so the drill bit stays where it should be.

did you guys use some sort of sealant to prevent rust from coming out from underneath where the holes were drilled?

did you guys use some sort of sealant to prevent rust from coming out from underneath where the holes were drilled?

Finished mine just now, pretty easy job I was worrying for nothing. Simply marked the holes, drilled and pop riveted the tracks on. I painted the drilled holes with a rust proofing paint and sealed the holes with Sellys sealant as per the instructions.

makes me happier, ive been stressing over which bars to install,
I think ill do the same and drill mount these ones!

No you don't need to take the roof lining off, you do need a decent rivet gun, get yourself a lazy tong riveter. You will also need some cold gal paint, neutral cure silicon and a vacuum cleaner to such up the swarf. Don't forget the pin punch as mention above and centre punch the holes. Read the instructions 3 times. And if you're in western Sydney just give me a call...

No ones had any dramas with these coming loose only using pop rivets? It was my understanding that threaded nutserts were supposed to be used?

I wouldnt use anything except nutserts on the roof racks...roof is like a tin can.... bit of a twist and it will rip...mabee a 1960s holden but nothing made this century

Never had a problem with pop rivets coming loose if they are done properly and remember a nutsert is a rivet with a screw - 2 parts to come loose and 1 part to get in the way.

I'm thinking of getting the rhino track system.
Just wondering what is the furthest the two bars can be separated with them as I need 900mm for my Foxwing.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back