d40 tricks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
having owned a hilux before was told by toyota service that unplugging the seat belt warning buzzer can affect the air bag deployment as the circuits are interlinked, I would check this out before proceeding as maybe nissan is the same ?:stop:

having owned a hilux before was told by toyota service that unplugging the seat belt warning buzzer can affect the air bag deployment as the circuits are interlinked, I would check this out before proceeding as maybe nissan is the same ?:stop:

Earlier today I was going to suggest that somewhere on this forum was a thread that discussed such things about air bags and seat belt warning light alarms but I never got around to looking for it. It might even have been on the UK site I don't remember the full details but I remember something about the two being linked.

I disconnected the seat belt warning annoyance 3 years ago and the trucks been in to have the air bad sensors done and everything tested and all came up ok so am thinking there isnt anything between the buzzer and the sensors .Now that being said mine is a spanish build so not going to say same for thai built trucks

I supose when thinking about it that the computer would not want to deploy the airbag if it thinks the driver is not wearing a seat belt due to injury risk, if you have ever seen a airbag go off this would seem a reasonable assumption ?:stop:

I agree totally and the only time I dont wear the belt is when am at the racetrack as we have to get out fast if we need to so belts are a pain. The rest of the time I wear a belt anyway. That being said might make up a switch config with a bright red light on the dash so I know when its turned off.
Just as a heads up the passengers seat also has a sensor in the seat but nothing to connect it to .

I supose when thinking about it that the computer would not want to deploy the airbag if it thinks the driver is not wearing a seat belt due to injury risk, if you have ever seen a airbag go off this would seem a reasonable assumption ?:stop:

If anything was going to change it would be that the airbag (if it was one of the newer 2 stage ones) would go off harder. Airbags designed fore the US market deploy harder due to the non wearing of seat belts. Disconnecting the wire may convince the airbag side of the system that the seatbelt is not fastened and result in full deployment of the airbag.

i have seen a mate of mine branded for months with the toyota emblem on his chest from an airbag going off in a prado, as the navara emblem is metal with fairly hard edges it would probaly do the same, great way to save on tattoo costs for all you nissan nuts who want to show off after surviving a head on !:suicide:

But any form of in print from the badge would look like it was done by a cock eyed tattooist because it would be written backwards.

Aren't the steering wheel covers designed to break/split into pieces that wont slam into the driver anyway?

yeah the d22 one goes into a few pieces, hinged from side areas. Saw a pic of a wrecked one once.

now i know this might stir some feathers but i was pricing up a 2" lift today for my d40 and all the places i rang for parts are telling me that they dont recommed it because at 2" it starts to damage drive shafts because of the angle so saying that what size tyres could i use to lift her up a bit any advice would be good and just keep in mind i am a mechanic

now i know this might stir some feathers but i was pricing up a 2" lift today for my d40 and all the places i rang for parts are telling me that they dont recommed it because at 2" it starts to damage drive shafts because of the angle so saying that what size tyres could i use to lift her up a bit any advice would be good and just keep in mind i am a mechanic

Yes the will wear a little quicker because they are always turning (no lockable frpnt hubs), but they won't full out like the Hiluxs do. D40's can go up 75mm before running into CV angle issues, but you may have coil bucket and alignment dramas with even a 50mm lift. I have a Thai build so my truck has castor and camber adjustment, It seems a lot of trucks didn't get adjustable bottom control arms, resulting in not being able to get the alignment back to factory spec's.
If you have a eccentric bolt on the front of the bottom control arm, then all is good for a lift kit.

guess the only way to find out is the hard way, the toyota emblem is the same both ways, those flying bits of metal have to go somewhere:suicide:

nah that makes no sense. The whole point of the airbag is to stop the impact with the wheel. Not wearing a belt makes that even more necessary. Airbags deploy way before you hit them
so they dont impact you, you impact them. I'd rather hit a bag than a steering column.

i have seen a mate of mine branded for months with the toyota emblem on his chest from an airbag going off in a prado, as the navara emblem is metal with fairly hard edges it would probaly do the same, great way to save on tattoo costs for all you nissan nuts who want to show off after surviving a head on !:suicide:
A mate told me once how a bloke at Holdens had a holden emblem imprinted on his forearm for months when his bag deployed while his arm crossed over the bag while turning and it went off:big_smile:

Last edited:
Ok Been haven a think about this. The sensor in the seat is only a basic switch. With the connection broken it thinks the seat belt is plugged in. So in fact the theory is that with the connection under the seat disconnected the computer would register the seat belt is in fact on.Its only a 2 wire connector is the sensor in the buckle is only a switch.

Why would a safety feature, and lets call it that since it's connected to a seat belt fail in such a manner as to not warn the driver or ECU there is a problem.

I don't know if seat belt alarms are required by law in every country cars are sold in but it's a warning system and making any sort of warning system think it's in normal operation mode when it fails would defeat the purpose of it being a warning system.

The UK site talks about some models having the airbag light flash when the belt switch is disconnected, there is no suggestion the airbag doesn't deploy but it's enough of a suggestion to see that the ECU does know about it and can record such information, what it uses it for is anyone's guess.

To my way of thinking other such suggestions like getting a buckle from the wreckers and using it only when you're off road (or not in harms way if thats what people are choosing) is a much better idea than disconnecting something that does form part of the warning system.

Why would a safety feature, and lets call it that since it's connected to a seat belt fail in such a manner as to not warn the driver or ECU there is a problem.

I don't know if seat belt alarms are required by law in every country cars are sold in but it's a warning system and making any sort of warning system think it's in normal operation mode when it fails would defeat the purpose of it being a warning system.

The UK site talks about some models having the airbag light flash when the belt switch is disconnected, there is no suggestion the airbag doesn't deploy but it's enough of a suggestion to see that the ECU does know about it and can record such information, what it uses it for is anyone's guess.

To my way of thinking other such suggestions like getting a buckle from the wreckers and using it only when you're off road (or not in harms way if thats what people are choosing) is a much better idea than disconnecting something that does form part of the warning system.

My understanding is a seatbelt warning beeper/light is required to obtain a 5 Star safety rating(not that our trucks come close though). I think one of the Holden models recently became 5 Star just by adding the warning beeper.

The best option would be to disconnect the beeper(i'm assuming the computer doesn't monitor the beeper circuit for connectivity), there is still a dash light and the BCU would still know the actual state of the seat belt in case it's used for altering the air bag deployment method.

Last edited:
Cant wait for someone to ask the same question as the very first post here in relation to the D22.
I would offer up the best tips and tricks for improvement;

1. Fire.....lots of it!
2. Incendiary devices....lots of them and good ones that really go bang!
3. Crushing device......a big one! followed by the 2 previous performance tips.

Latest posts

Back