d40 tricks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant wait for someone to ask the same question as the very first post here in relation to the D22.
I would offer up the best tips and tricks for improvement;

1. Fire.....lots of it!
2. Incendiary devices....lots of them and good ones that really go bang!
3. Crushing device......a big one! followed by the 2 previous performance tips.

It's good to see such a satisfied customer.

I decided to check out my clutch the other day as I have had a rattle under the dash I have not been able to find.

D40 owners should check there clutch pedal adjustment as mine was so far out it is not funny. I think they are all like this too from the many I have driven at work.

My clutch pedal was almost an inch higher than my brake pedal!!!
Anyway... I checked the manual and sure enough they give a measurement from the firewall to the clevis pin in the clutch pedal of 111mm.

Adjusted it by cracking the nut on the shaft and turning the rod to lower the pedal. I wound in the clutch switch to suit and..... Wow what a difference it has made. Clutch feels like it should have from factory and makes so much difference. Takes up nice and early and actually makes it a lot lighter to press (due to the fact is is in a better position).

Have a go as long as you don't go too far and stick to the measurement it should be sweet.

BTW it is easier to just take out the spring to get at the nut etc. It is a bitch to get to in general but well worth the results

Cheers
Brian

I checked the clutch in my D40 and found out some bugger had pinched it, but they replaced it with a slush box which works well enough for my needs so I'll forgive them. But on the upside not rattle in the clutch pedal

ha ha lol
I think they probably took some fuel out of ya tank at the same time too! Not to mention some extra cash out of ya wallet when ya bought it!

Would love an auto but hate the idea of dpf.

The money wasn't a problem I had a good trade in but when did they steal my fuel, do we get a smaller tank in the autos?

I'm yet to worry about my dpf so the relaxing drive beat the gear jamming hands down. If I want to do some gear jamming there is plenty of rigs around here for me to exercise the left foot.

haha only joking mate. Was just commenting on the fact the autos seem to use a bit more fuel than the manuals.

Auto certainly is the way to go for inner city or urban stuff too as changing gears often sucks big time. Ironic that city driving is the one thing that is no good for the dpf which is fitted to the autos only! lol

I agree Krafty slush is the go ! the "tiptronic" from 1st to 2nd is fantastic cant wait till its run in and blow off D22's at the lights

haha only joking mate. Was just commenting on the fact the autos seem to use a bit more fuel than the manuals.

Auto certainly is the way to go for inner city or urban stuff too as changing gears often sucks big time. Ironic that city driving is the one thing that is no good for the dpf which is fitted to the autos only! lol

I don't seem to have as many issues with fuel usage as others I'm still getting mid 10's but then I also don't drive with a heavy right foot. I just don't give a crap if people behind me get shitty because I take off slowly and I don't give a crap if I sit at 90-95 on the highway. Obviously there are many conditions to take into account but using the scanguage I can see that on the highway increasing my speeds over 95 can add up to 2 lph to my economy. While that doesn't sound much given that it's only up to 2lph and not constantly 2 lph considering so much of my driving is highway driving it makes a huge difference over a years worth of fuel.

These days I'm just not in a rush to get anywhere and economy over getting somewhere 10 minutes earlier is more important to me so I let the traffic drive at their speed and I drive at mine and use as little fuel as I can get away with.

It's still suprises me how many people suggest the DPF isn't any good for city driving, if you could count the number of cars, buses and trucks in city traffic that have DPF's fitted and have had no problems the numbers would be massively greater than those that have. Sure the DPF is something the driver should know about but it's not an issue. There is probably a good number car owners out there that wouldn't even know if their car had a DPF and they aren't worried by them.

My mechanic mate services a Coaster bus that has a DPF, this thing is used as a school bus and stops up to 20 times in a 1 hour trip both morning and afternoon, it rarely gets over 70 ks or travels more than a few ks at a time without stopping yet even that sort of stop starting hasn't caused the DPF to require manual intervention in its regen process. Everyone has their opinions on DPF's just like any other topic but to my way of thinking not choosing one vehicle because it's got a DPF is doing yourself an injustice if that DPF fitted car is one you like.

I'll agree re the DPF as well. My 2.5 D40 auto has one, has never given me even a hint of trouble, and where I ought to be getting about 12.2LPHK (based on the increased weight of the vehicle) I'm getting 11.5 or better. That puts my car about on par with the manual (which should get 0.6LPHK better, I'm getting 0.7LPHK better economy).

I drive mine up to 110km/h, I have been using the cruise control a fair bit and sure enough the silly thing tramps it now and again and we're still getting decent economy figures. The DPF doesn't worry me in the slightest.

However, and I can't stress this enough: if you have a D40 auto, don't just fang the thing all the time, or drive it too slowly. Either extreme will cause the thing to not enter a regen cycle when needed. I posted elsewhere the criteria for a regen cycle, but here they are again in brief:

* give the vehicle the chance to maintain rpm > 1600 with light load only
* don't keep the engine running at high temps, back off and cruise as much as possible

I have now done about 700 klms in my new auto D40 king cab, I can not believe that there is no diesel smell ever ! even when stone cold it starts instantly and no hint of smoke , it is almost like an lpg engine hope it stays that way !

Just use a paper clip to make a circuit.
That's what I did.

My solution to this issue is plug the seatbelt into the socket before getting in the car and have it behind your back. I use this method only when I know I will be in and out of the car all the time (like when collecting firewood for camping).

Latest posts

Back