D40 V6TD Navara Performance & Testing. 'Results posted page 4'

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

Just going through this process myself.
I am fitting my Tuff 5 post alloy bar from my old series 1 STX to the new SX550.

Northside is correct WRT the position of the intercooler. It is indeed positioned lower..and is easily twice the size of the D40 2.5 cooler. He makes some very important points worth considering.

I'll post up some photos when I have time, but the Tuff bar, appears to have ample cooling opening spaces when compared to the the stock bumper assembly.
More importantly, the stock steel bumper support member appears (to me) to severely restrict airflow to the intercooler as it is. The Tuff brackets replace this bumper support member, and substitute a 3mm steel cross member which can be mounted lower.
I see two advantages here:
1) Improved airflow to the cooler
2) far better protection to the cooler if you hit something.

If fact...I think that the cooler would be rooted from only a very small hit to the front in stock form.

I can tell you one thing. That V6 pulls like a Cummins Signature!
Very impressed with this engine.

Apologies in advance for the crappy Iphone pictures.

Here you can see the intercooler and the stock bumper cross member.
26d35714.jpg

This is the Tuff mounts and crossmember, ready for bull-bar fitting. Note the unimpeded air exposure to the intercooler and protection from underneath.
ecc2f93e.jpg

I understand what Northside is saying in regard to single large vent openings against many small ones.
This has to work better though. Total opening area of 0.264 sq metres on the bar, compared to 0.072 sq metres on the stock bumper. The extruded alloy mesh on the bar will impede air flow to some degree though...but also lessens the possibility of intercooler stone damage.
9353188d.jpg

To test the theory in a very un-scientific manner, I mounted a wireless household wind anemometer in the front centre of the intercooler. I drove along at 70km/h and noted a wind reading of 42km/h. I then mounted the anemometer in the same spot on my old series 1 STX with the stock bumper and did the same drive...and got a reading of 36 km/h for the same conditions.
So I am pretty confident that no ill-effects will present.

0f29269f.jpg

Beer time at the end of a long day. Everything swapped over from old to new!
Anyone interested in a 2006 Navara 2.5 manual with 90K km in real good nick?

Last edited:
Hey Mulgathumper, nice work getting straight into the new ute.

Did you get a measurement between the chassis rails for bar mounting by any chance?

What else is planned for the ute ?
Have fitted all the wiring for towing/electric brakes/power etc, and mounted the UHF radio. Waiting on seat covers and the tint man.
I'm having major drama fitting my cheap Chinese DVD/TV/Reverse camera/hands free/GPS double DIN stereo. Nissan have changed the arial and wiring plugs (bastards). The wiring is gonna take some sorting out, as no-one seems to make an adapter (Aerpro etc).

Did you get a measurement between the chassis rails for bar mounting by any chance?
No different at all to any other D40. There is an extra bolt tag welded on at the top of the chasis rail, but the chasis rail dimensions are unchanged.

I'll be keeping a close eye on your research Northside! Great to see a progressive business that jumps straight onto something very new.

Very keen to see if you can come up with some worthwhile improvements for this engine.

As you alluded to earlier, any winch-type bull bar is gonna cause some air-flow issues.

Not being that mechaniclly minded. What does all that mean?
Are there room for improvements?
How soon before we see some aftermarket bull bar options...
And other goodies.....

141KW at the wheels :big_smile:
Pretty good numbers if they are stock power figures

25 psi boost ??? Am I reading the graph correctly?

Last edited:
Back