D40 Weathershield installation issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebundychick

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum - but I'm glad I found it!

I bought my first ever Nissan 5 months ago, its a 2012 Navara D40 Automatic. And its the best car I've ever owned!!

But - onto my problem: Late last year I ordered a set of genuine Navara weather shields. i picked them up today and installed them. You wouldn't think you could get something like this wrong, but it appears I have?

I followed the instructions, got everything on, got the tape stuck down, installed the metal inserts with the plastic screws in the appropriate pre drilled holes on the weathershield, tightened everything up and thought "Wow, that wasn't so hard".... Until i put the windows up... .

The plastic screw / nut head hits the window. I figured I'd put them in wrong way round, so undid everything and put them in the other way round - they still hit the window.. It can't be that I've put the metal insert in incorrectly, as the window would never physically clear the insert if I had, and as it is its only just fouling on the end of the plastic nut.

Has anyone else done a DIY and encountered this issue.

Do I actually NEED these clips? Its only two clips, on the bottom edge of the weather shield (in front of the mirror)

Can I just file the tops of the nut down a little?

Welcome to the forums.

I know there is some D40 owners on here with weather shields but I can't for the life of me remember who. Maybe if you could post some pics we could offer some help until someone with weather shields comes on.

Will be interested in seeing them and getting a run down on the installation because I was discussing them with the old man today, I think he's considering getting them with his Nav and if they are worth it he can buy two sets..

I'll race up and take photos now :)

I sure as heck could have used them last week!

Its done nothing but rain here all week, between my horses paddocks flooding, fallen trees, and all manner of tasks requiring me to have my windows down all the while its flogging with rain - I can't wait to test them out for real :)

I had weathershields on my old stationwagon, and didn't realize what a luxury they were until I didn't have them anymore.

My vote: Get the weathershield :)

I'm sure there has been others who gave similar recommendations but I'm kind of lazy and never got around to ordering them. I'm sure it will confuse the hell out of the dealer if the old man orders a new ute with 2 sets of weathershields :sarcastic:

408398_10151281944192339_1001262074_n.jpg

Close up
217554_10151281943937339_1113799578_n.jpg

Regardless of which way I install it, it clashes, but i don't think installing the entire frame "higher" on the door frame would make a difference, and regardless... bit late for that now :/

734805_10151281944102339_1676454763_n.jpg

155048_10151281944592339_1978145482_n.jpg

Oh yeah I forgot about that, there is a set number of posts you need to before you can post links or images I think it's 10 posts I can't remember. A mod will probably be along sometime soon.

I had mine installed before i picked it up and I have 4 clips, 2 top and 2 at bottomand the bottom 2 barely clear to window. Are they the full or slim weather shields.Would not have a car without them..love em

These are the full shields - Just drove out to the paddock to move my horses, and enjoyed being able to drive with the window down and not having a hairstyle akin to Yahoo Serious when i got out :)

I didn't even think about getting them at the time, and strangely enough - they didn't actually ask if i wanted them!

The kit I received only had the two bottom clips, and they are genuine parts, the part number is stamped on the shield, not sure whether maybe this would work properly if I had the two top clips.

Thats about the clearance on mine,but I don`t have those dome nuts,maybe try a flathead screw or coach head bolt.to give you more clearance.

I was thinking of going with a nail file and simply taking a millimetre off the top of the head - but i'm not 100% sure if its plastic coated metal, or solid plastic.

Its only fouling on the window by a fraction of a millimetre, there isn't a lot in it, but you can hear it when i put the window up - it *just* knocks the nut head as the window goes up, all it takes is a bit of grit on the either the window, or the nut, and all of a sudden i have scratch that runs the length of my window :/

... that's actually a brilliant idea!

Didn't think of that..

That'll probably work!

the shields themselves are there for good now, they have that fancy schmancy glue tape on three edges, but the shields don't need to come off to move the tabs. I may have enough clearance between shield and the inner face of the tab for this to work -

Will let you know how I go tomorrow!

Thankyou!

So I couldn't wait.. I just went up to the car, took the tabs out and attempted to bend one..

No joy - who knew you had to have muscles! Not thrilled at the concept of moving a tonne of junk off the top of dads vice, I got grumpy, grabbed the bottom of the weathershield and yanked.

Who knew! It worked!

Glad it worked.

I realise this is a bit of a subjective or at very least personal opinion but does the noise level change much with them installed, both with the window open and closed? There was a few people ages ago complaining that Nissan can't make anything that attaches to the outside of the car that doesn't increase the noise level.

I`ve never noticed Krafty as i have the window cracked open all the time.

Noise doesn't worry me too much and when I'm by myself and traveling at less than 80 I often have the window open but I remember other cars I've had years ago where the wind got between the weathershield and the door frame and made an annoying sound. Things may have improved a bit these days but I imagine if the tape stuff doesn't stick well enough first time the same wind gap could happen.

Latest posts

Back