Dampier/Karatha

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morticus

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Navarians. Ive possibly been given the opportunity to head over to Dampier for work, and was wondering if any of you have ever been there, and can offer some advice. See the thing is, work would be covering our housing plus utilities while we are there, and we are thinking it could be a great idea for us to get ahead for a change. I know its hot, and there is a lot of dirt, but thats about it. Would you ever move there even for a couple of years?

Hey Morticus.. I live in Karratha and have been here for 10 years. Your right, its hot and there's s**t loads of dirt lol Apart from that if your into diving, fishing or any water sports for that matter its great! There's also some great terrain to explore! What other info are u after?

Haha thanks Brenno. I guess i was wondering if there is enough to keep myself and my little family occupied on weekends. I like my fishing but i dont have a boat, same goes for diving too. Love wakeboarding but once again am without the boat! The Mrs is usually at home with the little one, i guess if we moved over there, we would look at having another. Is it far to any good/great camp spots? Going to do the ute up as more of a tourer i think so we can get away on weekends :)

Liver there for years, left in 2006
Best thing about Karratha is the road out of there
More rocks than dirt. And yes it gets hot n bloody humid. You need aircon running 24/7 for a lot of the year. Outside in summer even at night you sweat dripping wet just sitting down having a beer. Fishing from shore is limited and most of the coast is very rocky which is hard on gear. If you want a decent fish you need a boat. You see lots of big boats there nowadays as you need to go further and further to get a decent catch. There are sports activities and other interests but you need to weigh up the money v lifestyle (or lack of). Also think of your partner and kids. The divorce rate inthe Pilbara is high for a reason, remember HAPPY WIFE = HAPPY LIFE. The one thing you must have if you go to a place like this is have an objective and a plan to get there with a agreed timeline. Without a plan you risk spending your time there working and living in harsh conditions and at the end of it coming away with nothing to show for it. But if you get it all working right then you can kill the pig and get a jump start in life financially.

I'm not saying it's a bad place, just go in with eyes wide open and a clear idea of what you want.

Oh did I mention the heat,....and cyclones......and flies....ticks.....mosquitos.......locals......stonefish.....coneshells......snakes.......blue ring occy.....tides........

Good luck whatever you decide

Liver there for years, left in 2006
Best thing about Karratha is the road out of there
More rocks than dirt. And yes it gets hot n bloody humid. You need aircon running 24/7 for a lot of the year. Outside in summer even at night you sweat dripping wet just sitting down having a beer. Fishing from shore is limited and most of the coast is very rocky which is hard on gear. If you want a decent fish you need a boat. You see lots of big boats there nowadays as you need to go further and further to get a decent catch. There are sports activities and other interests but you need to weigh up the money v lifestyle (or lack of). Also think of your partner and kids. The divorce rate inthe Pilbara is high for a reason, remember HAPPY WIFE = HAPPY LIFE. The one thing you must have if you go to a place like this is have an objective and a plan to get there with a agreed timeline. Without a plan you risk spending your time there working and living in harsh conditions and at the end of it coming away with nothing to show for it. But if you get it all working right then you can kill the pig and get a jump start in life financially.

I'm not saying it's a bad place, just go in with eyes wide open and a clear idea of what you want.

Oh did I mention the heat,....and cyclones......and flies....ticks.....mosquitos.......locals......stonefish.....coneshells......snakes.......blue ring occy.....tides........

Good luck whatever you decide

Good summation.

Haha painted a pretty clear picture there. If we do end up going, it will only be for 2 years, as after that ill be heading to Cairns to buy a house and business. Looking into whether we can buy a business now rather than spend 2 years over there. Only reason to go would be because our housing and utilities would be paid for by work. I cant see much of a payrise heading over there, but if im not forking out about 35% of my pay on rent as i am now, we could leave in 2 years sitting very well. As you stated, the only thing im worried about is the wife and bub.

i live in wickham, we don't go much more than 20-30km from shore and always manage to catch a good feed, no one here seems to think it's 'overfished'
we go out in an old 18ft glass boat with a 90hp on it, can cruise at 60kph if it's flat enough and does the job.
they're cheap as these days.
i love living up here, you definitely get used to the heat and winter here is wonderful.
missus has her good and bad moments, every few months she comes up with idea of moving back home and me going fifo again but it's not an option in my current role.

Nice. Well its still on the cards so if i head over ill give you a shout to have a beer. At the moment its either head over there to save for a house, or buy a Butcher shop up north i've had my eye on for a while.

One thing is for sure....you'll either love it or hate it....at least you can go and give it a go and not say no one told me...
Give it a crack.

Been over there a few times working. (offshore oil).
Maybe you can head over for a recky. Have a look around by yourself. Get a bit of a feel for the place. If you know your other half as well as I know mine, you will have a good idea.
I've only been over a couple of times like I said, but I KNOW my missus wouldn't like it. AT ALL!

Latest posts

Back