Dave's rant thread.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure the guy was playing golf. Got hit on the course.

Is that like the lady who got struck by lightning on the golf course, She got struck between the first and second hole.

I cant say I have every had much trouble on the road late at night, I mostly see Semi's on the road and Id rather drive with them then car drivers.

For me the only problem with the roads was wildlife, it was the carparks around supermarkets and shops where trouble usually occurred

Lol, I remember Rodney Rude telling that joke about his grandmother.

How many kangeroos over the years you reckon you have hit ?

Dave.

Yeah it's an oldie but my timing was impeccable :ha:

Roos probably about 30 or 40, enough to not be overly worried about seeing them on the side of the road, but also enough to understand how they move and be prepared for them when they are on the side of the road.

I don't just restrict myself to roos though, I've hit wombats, hundreds of birds, owls, bats, wild pigs, wild goats. I could have nearly had a museum if I kept them all, or atleast had plenty of free meals.

Bloody wombats, never hit one thank God.

I habe been out the back of Wolimbi at 2am (Paynes Crossing) and sat on 60km/h for a good 15km's heading to Singleton as the road has wombats/Roos every 1km.

I remember talking to this truckie one day who was telling me his truck FH12 Volvo nicknamed Wombat had been towed about 3 or 4 times from hitting them.

The night I ran into him was out the back of Cessnock after he hit a roo that took out both headlights and he was headed to windsor with just the spotties.

He flagged me down after a roo he hit caught on a air line on the trailer and tore the air line off.

Surprisingly he didn't even have a screw driver on him.

Dave.

Wombats are bloody dangerous, some people assume roos a the worst to hit but a wombat can hide in the shadows of the road and remain unseen till too late and if you hit one at a decent speed you can launch yourself airborne. I know drivers of 12 tonne trucks who've either flipped or come close to flipping their trucks because of wombats, I've been lucky mine have either been slow speed hits or just the right spot to not flip me.

Tool kits in trucks often depend on driver or owner driver situations. My boss when I was working the Island brought a tool kit for the truck but some mongrel stole it, we don't know if it was the casual who did my one day off or the linehaul blokes that delivered to us, we suspected the casual but had no proof. But the boss refused to buy a new one when stuff was going missing so I was doing 400+ks a night without any tools and our mechanic was anything up to 3 hours away in the wee hours of the morning.

Not that a tool kit would have fixed it but I've driven home 150ks with no clutch (3 times in a week), a flat rear tyre, no wipers or indicators, no radio (always a killer) and even a rear barn door hanging open. I wasn't impressed with the situation and some of it may have been luck but health and safety rules stated we weren't allowed to repair the trucks ourselves during deliveries and in most cases engine or gearbox problems weren't fixable on the side of the road with your average tool kit anyway, half the time the trucks had to get towed. So I can understand some truckies not having toolkits, most food delivery drivers by law aren't allowed to refuel during deliveries let alone change a tyre.

Yeah I can understand that, shit like a blown turbo cant really be rebuilt on the side of the road.

Seen a B-double last night broken down on the highway with the bonnet up. Few witches hats around it and a landcruiser ute parked in front of it with tools and parts I am assuming. Either way, expensive.

Speaking of a stuffed clutch, I remember talking to a tow truck driver one day who was telling me. He had been driving this UD truck for 200,000km's without using the clutch.

I have never done it myself, a few mates can do it but I dont drive trucks.

Any favourites over the years and trucks you hated Krafty ?

Dave.

Driving a road ranger without a clutch is easy and beats double clutching most of the time, in fact any gearbox is kind of easy and the more you do it the less teeth you wear off. We never use the clutch in the ACCO once it's moving, the problem is stopping, you have to be prepared and coming into Dandenong just after morning peak 3 days in one week was bloody annoying having to prempt the drivers around me and the traffic lights.

I hate FH100 Mitsu's with a vengence also never had much luck with UD's. As much as it's nearly old school I like the 77 ACCO, it's just so easy to drive and so forgiving, it also only takes a fatman standing on the linkage behind the cab when it's broken to make the gears work again. Not sure of the exact model but the linehaul blokes had a MAN back in 03 which I drove for a few days that I really liked. I like smaller Suzie's too, they make a good truck in the 8-12 tonne range.

Stop Sign's.

Its got me !@#$%^ who in the council says where they go.

The New England Highway down here has no stop sign's on side roads to come onto the highway. Only give way sign's.

I see idiot's everyday pulling onto the highway without even looking. If there are cars, they jump on the brakes.

Yet back street's have them everywhere.

Two things i detest are:

1. people who do not know how to merge into traffic ... and will stop just beside the freeway traffic ON THE on ramp.

2. people who do not know how to use round-a-bouts, again they stop and basically wait for a written invitation to enter the traffic stream ....

hang on ... i just hate round a bouts.

I hate two lanes of traffic flowing the same way, with cars parked in the outside lane! Can be driving along and next minute there is a parked car there, what the!

Mitch

I don't race around the streets a lot - ask Scotty. He thinks I'm Hoke Colburn (played by Morgan Freeman - Driving Miss Daisy) - but I do like to travel at what the police would consider a respectable pace.

One thing that's been irking me lately is the speedster that races past me (I'm doing the speed limit, and more importantly I'm using my cruise control) and then slows down. Without touching the cruise control, I indicate, easily cruise past and pull back in ... only to be overtaken again and have the moron slow down on me again.

It's worse when the idiot moves out to block me - like we're in dodgem cars - or like one midget brain did, tore past at 20-30km/h above the speed limit, slammed on the anchors so they were doing 40km/m UNDER the speed limit and held me there (single lane) just because they could. When I got an opportunity to overtake (after quite some time), they took off.

Now if you're working in Williamtown Air Force Base and have been wondering who asked you for a load-out of AGM-65 Mavericks, now you know.

Two things i detest are:

1. people who do not know how to merge into traffic ... and will stop just beside the freeway traffic ON THE on ramp.

2. people who do not know how to use round-a-bouts, again they stop and basically wait for a written invitation to enter the traffic stream ....

hang on ... i just hate round a bouts.

And you voluntarily moved to Melbourne, you must be a sadist. Melbourne drivers are some of the worst in the country for those 2 issues.

Yep even lived there. Melbourne drivers are shit, Sydney drivers are smug. Atleast in Sydney they don't loose ability when it rains (they have limited to loose as it is), for a city where there is so much rain Melbournians should know how to drive in the rain, but three drops of rain and those that arent going sideways and trying to figure out how to stop without rear ending each other. I'd much rather driver through Smug city than Melbourne wither it's in the Nav or dragging 45 tonnes.

Hey Rant boy, whats with the rant on the pommie forum but not here, don't you want to share with us? :big_smile:

What's going on with that turbo?

Sigh. 12 grand to the ATO today :-(

Oh and because NSW is broke, I payed a no right turn fine that I got at 12am.

Yeah, there is so much traffic at that time of the morning.

The Cop was a nice bloke, however I think the council are a bunch of morons with there stupid ideas.

Road rules don't stop at midnight you know :ha: I'm still waiting to see the coppers from Maitland pull over a white Navara on the RBT or whatever its called :big_smile:

So what's the deal with the turbo you posted about on the UK site?

Latest posts

Back