Dealer misadvertising

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leo d40

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just want to get some opinions on what people think about dealers misadvertising prices. Example I am talking about it this one http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/details/Nissan-Navara-2013/AGC-AD-13344189/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

On the search results page it is listed as brand new, 34k for a runout is damn good in my books! So I contacted the dealer and got a phone call from a salesman claiming that it's a demo with 7000km and a few extras. I advised him it was advertised as a new vehicle with no mention of it being a demo. I got bait and switched within the first few sentences. Isn't this type of practice illegal?

Not happy with the salesman's response, I spoke to the dealer principal and he told me that since carsales is a 3rd party site they don't have control on what information goes there. Excuse me? You have no control over YOUR ads? You can't edit an ad? Pull the other one mate. When shops advertise a wrong price or it's listed on their shelves wrong, in WA they have to honour the price.

The dealer has another Navara listed on carsales, this time as an undriven demo. Yep, doesn't exist either.

I'm going in person to see them today as I am genuinely interested in purchasing a new D40, I was working out a deal with another dealer but saw this pop up for a few thousand cheaper, so obviously I wanted to take a look.

What course of action can I take? Would the MTA or fair trading be interested in false advertising a vehicle that doesn't exist? Or am I just going a bit nuts? Dealers are of course well known for their shady tactics, bait and switching and numerous other crap they pull daily on customers, I just want to take a stand for once!

Looks like bait and switch to me.

I'd walk away from them - is it really worth your effort? After all, do you want a 7k old vehicle or a new one? 7k isn't demo, it's been a salesmans daily driver.

It sounds like a dealer to leave alone. Of course, carsales.com.au and the ACCC would probably love to get involved. ACCC probably won't react very quickly (expect a 12-month to 50 year delay) but the web site might just pull their ad and note the account as "dodgy", and a few more infractions (or maybe this one is enough!) will have their account dumped.

I drove one that had 5000k on it for a couple of days that the dealer lent me and the thing had been thrashed, it was a rattly and extremely noisy beast compared to my 2011 Thai with 40000k on it..
Stay away from a dealer used demo if it has more than 100kms on it..

Up this way there is a guy contracting to dealers to run carsales.com adverts.
He is full of shit.
He runs the ads and told me bla bla bla.
Got to the dealer. Holy shit, what a dog. He knew all along, later proven.

Salesmen can't help themselves. Its commission after all.

New schmoo I say.
Private 2 yrs old honest vehicle is better value.IMO.

technically speaking you can take action on this as it is falsely advertised and wait not. It is bait advertising which is illegal. I would notify the correct authorities and then go else where and purchase from someone a touch more honest

This same thing happened to me with a white d22 advertised at the time for 26990 drive away on that site when i got there it it was a demo with 1200kms on the clock i am lucky to have strong legal help no charge when contested i got the colour i wanted new and the accs for dealer cost damm the standard tow bar i wish i went tjm or arb that's about to change but you can contest it and it is illegal it depends on how hard you push best not to mention whom the original a/hole was publicly they can put you back in a hole.

Just to update on what happened with this. The dealer contacted me in the afternoon and said the demo was sold. After reading your comments, even though the price was nice, why give money to a shoddy place?

So last night I went back to the original salesman I had been dealing with over the past week and closed a deal. Brand spanking new D40 ST in altitude blue, manual, bullbar and tow bar, mats, tint and of course the tank of fuel for $37400. Quite happy with that.

Thanks guys :) I'll start a new thread when I get the nav. That would be great old tony! leo d40 is great with me

Back