disposing of used motor oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben85

Reaction score
hey guys, where do dispose of your used motor oil?

i've got a couple of drums sitting in the shed i wanna get rid of

My local refuse station in SA does not charge to take it. Can even ti pthe containers into a large one if I need to keep the for next time.

Only some of our tips take it but mechanics and dealerships etc don't pay for it's disposal, (until recently most used to get paid for it) so make friends with a mechanic and ask him to get rid of it when he gets rid of his bulk supply.

My local Tip has a big tank you can poor all old oils in for free.
Contact your local council, they will tell you where you can tip it free of charge.

Its a joke that we cant dispose of used oil at any auto shop that sells oil. There should be a law for it.
I pour mine around the base of my fence posts, ect to stop them from rotting and keep the weeds down. And i keep a bottle handy for cleaning and rustproofing some of my bricklayers equipment.

I know my local supercheap accepts old oils now. They have a rack out the front it just has to be left in containers. Maybe check out your local one.

-Tyler

My local council has collection days every six months for that sort of stuff.

I'm a bit of a re-user. Occasionally gets used for oil quenching, but usually gets poured into any pipe in the ground standing vertical as they don't all have tops. Helps stop them rusting out inside.

Hmm, given the performance of modern creosote, I might try using that instead of creosote.

Our local tips in Geelong charge extra coz there tight, run it along your fence line it stops it from rotting and kills weeds.
But coz they charge I just put it back into containers and put into waste bins, so when they squash the load, squirt! F*#^ 'em

its the ducks nuts for getting a bonfire going too. None of the above are socially acceptable tho. given the option id gladly hand it in for free if it was made easy for us to do. You can only tip so much oil along yr fence and it will probably find its way into the ground water.

its the ducks nuts for getting a bonfire going too. .

ding, you have reminded me of what else I had in my previous lot of home made fire starter.

Camp fire charcol soaked in mixture of(used oil, used turps, used metho, used kero, used heating oil, aka anything dirty). it works so much better in the wet when it has it.

It's great to pour around the perimeter of the shed to stop the damn wombat from trying to make a home. Who would've thought!!

Latest posts

Back