DIY Suspension

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dzlndust

Reaction score
Hi guys I've just bought a suspension kit for my 550 and I'm wondering if anyone has done the conversion themselves and if so is it reasonably easy or is it better left to paying to have it changed?

Hi guys I've just bought a suspension kit for my 550 and I'm wondering if anyone has done the conversion themselves and if so is it reasonably easy or is it better left to paying to have it changed?

It will be easy if you have all the tools - I've done DIY install to all my previous and current cars from Hondas, evos and my fourby.

Google DIY d40 suspension install

It's all pretty easy, save your self some money and have a crack!!
I did mine myself, only thing I didn't do was compress the springs onto the struts, bit to iffy to DIY, apart from that it is all straight forward.
Good luck!!!

Yeah, struts will be your problem. There is a lot of energy retained there, so if you just undo the top nut, you might do yourself a little mischief.

Rear springs - remove the rear dampers (shocks) while the vehicle is on the ground - you can get away with just removing them from the lower mount.

Disconnect the rear ABS sensors from the harness, remove the wiring from it's mounts and leave them hanging by the back wheels (alternative is to remove the sensor from the hub).

Lift the vehicle by the chassis until the wheels are only just touching the ground.

Jack stands under the chassis.

Remove the U bolts, then the shackles (there is a bent plate on one side, flat on the other - remember which way they came out) and front pin - the front pin can be tight, and if I recall correctly is an odd size - 18mm or something. Been a while so forgive me if I'm wrong. The springs should now be free to remove.

If you haven't already, remove the shocks entirely.

Replacing the springs - do you have a complete new bush set including front eye bushes? If you need to retain your original front eye bushes, then do it now.

Check whether you need to cut the length of the spring centre bolt on the new ones. Some are too long.

New springs in. Reverse of removal. Make sure to grease all bushes. Best to install the front pin first (FINGER TIGHT ONLY), then the u-bolts (same - finger tight for the moment). Leave the shackles till last. Once both springs have the front pin and ubolts installed, you can now get onto the shackles.

It may take some wriggling to get everything aligned - that's what you leave everything finger-tight.

Shackles - because you are probably using springs with a degree of lift, you will probably have to lift the vehicle further (by the chassis) in order to get the shackles in place. Make sure you install the shackles the right way or they will bind - you remembered which side has the bent plate, which is flat, yeah? Finger tight :)

Now you can start tightening things up. Start with the shackles, then move to the U-bolts. DO NOT TIGHTEN THE FRONT PIN WHILE THE VEHICLE IS ELEVATED.

Install the shocks - top mount only - then get the vehicle down off stands.

Underneath you go, tighten the front pins and install the shocks onto the lower mounts and tighten the upper shock mounts.

Double check everything is tight. Once you have double checked everything is tight, triple check everything is tight.

If you have greasable rear shackles, NOW is when you grease them.

After about 500km or thereabouts, get under the ute and recheck everything, paying particular attention to u-bolts.

One of the biggest issues you may experience is getting the vehicle high enough to unload the springs - unless you have the mother of all trolley jacks.

Last edited:
Done my own suspension install on my 22 a prado 120 and a 05hilux. All have similarities in suspension setups. I would suggest taking the front struts out and sending both the old struts and all your new gear to a mechanic or suspension mob and have them assemble for you at a small fee.

Read springs are simple as doc has already gone through. Finger tighten everything at first then once it's on the ground go to town with the sockets and breaker bar. Also make sure you grease all bushes and pins as you go.

Rusty

Thanks heaps for you feedback guys. Especially Doc, couldn't have asked for any more than a full walk through of the job!

Latest posts

Back