Do I need a turbo timer?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the question states, I have a 2009 model 2.5 DI motor. Some people say I do and some say I don't with the new model turbos. I don't no much about turbos and this is my first turbo car.

A turbo timer is a good idea but not needed. Just remember to let your car idle for a while after a drive. It lets the turbo cool down some and keeps the oil flowing through. Oil will cook on the inside of a turbo if there is no flow and too much heat.

Ohh and your engine would be a CRD not a DI. Should be a YD25.

I think I might get one as my missus mostly drives the car and shuts it straight down. You might be right, just it says DI on the engine cover.

As already said, its not needed but its a good idea. During general town driving you will find that the turbo isnt getting too hot to worry about it that much. I usually have mine set on a 1 minute timer, which is about the same amount of time it takes me to pull up, put the windows up, find my wallet and phone and get out. I find it more handy when 4wding. For example - il have it usually set on a 3 minute timer. Then after I have flogged the Nav up a steep and slippery slope and parked at the top, I can then turn the key off and walk back down and watch my mates come up and help them if required. I know it will turn itself off after the correct time, so I dont have to worry about the Nav sitting up the top of the hill still running or wasting fuel. Plus if its a long walk back down the hill or there are other 4wders around I can lock the Nav too and still have it run and cool down while im not there.

Welcome to the forum.

A turbo timer isn't an essential item and is needed less if you drive it gently and idle it for a little after a hard run (eg climbing a hill). If you just shut it down, a timer isn't a bad idea but it comes with a caveat - some turbo timers won't let the remote door lock engage while the engine is running. I think it's something in the Body Control Module (BCM) that prevents the remote key from locking the doors while the engine is still going.

The turbocharger is somewhat fragile, despite the modern technology involved. Essentially it's a centrifugal fan (impeller) on a shaft driven by a turbine powered by exhaust gas. Bearings are fed oil by the running engine. If the turbocharger is hot, the shaft and bearings are hot and if the oil flow stops, the heat will act on the oil causing it to burn, forming hard deposits within the bearing. This ultimately destroys the bearings and then destroys the turbocharger.

Thankfully your car has a large intercooler which will catch the broken bits of impeller if your turbocharger does let go, and then it's only $1400 for a new turbo, rather than $15,000 for a new motor. If you compare that to $100 for a turbo timer, or zero cost for remembering to do it properly - well, it's up to each of us to determine how much we want to spend!

I think I ill still go with getting a turbo timer, better to be safe then sorry right? Thanks for the info guys. Like I said, I've never had a turbo charged car before, but I can see why they are popular with HP guys. I'm just a old school V8 guy.

Latest posts

Back