Does anyone run 16x8 on D40????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are also regs about track width and over-extending the wheel bearings by using too high an offset. I'd bother going to look for it if I wasn't going to add "you probably won't get pinged for it if you drive sensibly".

There are also regs about track width and over-extending the wheel bearings by using too high an offset. I'd bother going to look for it if I wasn't going to add "you probably won't get pinged for it if you drive sensibly".

Tony you're a spoil sport. In one night you have told me that the Nissan ECM is smarter than me and now I can't have a wider track. On the later you are correct refer here. On the former only time will tell. :lol:

Gus

Gus, I don't think the ECM is smarter, just think some wise-arse in Nissan has stopped drinking long enough to actually think about ways to do things and came up trumps.

They can afford to have whole teams of people sitting around dreaming shit up to stop people like us from having a decent play. I can truly see their point, but it shits me that we can't stop the engine from over-imbibing.

I bet yours - with the DPF delete pipe in place - could just have a simple circuit that ignores non-power-stroke injector commands. The only hurdle there is whacking something together that can respond fast enough - no slow eeproms please!

Depends on the construction and wheel width. The lever is actually from the outer edge of the wheel. The bearing has to tolerate forces acting on it from that distance and will be rated for that, as will the axle. Extending beyond (or even inward) changes the loading as designed.

That's right - a zero offset means that the inner face that meets the hub is in the exact centre of the wheel from inside of rim to outside of rim. This means that the beading of the tyre will be exactly centred over the face of the hub.

A vehicle designed to require a -40 offset will, with zero offset wheels, therefore be overloading the bearings at an angle that will cause excessive wear.

A hub that has a bearing out on the end of the shaft (eg drum brake, with an inner bearing) would be better served by having the loading placed centrally between those bearings, so you'd want a negative offset from the mounting face.

Those bearings can take a fair pounding, but not with extraordinary constant loadings on them.

Depends on the construction and wheel width. The lever is actually from the outer edge of the wheel. The bearing has to tolerate forces acting on it from that distance and will be rated for that, as will the axle. Extending beyond (or even inward) changes the loading as designed.

That's right - a zero offset means that the inner face that meets the hub is in the exact centre of the wheel from inside of rim to outside of rim. This means that the beading of the tyre will be exactly centred over the face of the hub.

A vehicle designed to require a -40 offset will, with zero offset wheels, therefore be overloading the bearings at an angle that will cause excessive wear.

A hub that has a bearing out on the end of the shaft (eg drum brake, with an inner bearing) would be better served by having the loading placed centrally between those bearings, so you'd want a negative offset from the mounting face.

Those bearings can take a fair pounding, but not with extraordinary constant loadings on them.

Solution is second set of rims for off roading and leave the factory alloys on when she's the daily drive. This will limit the time the bearings are being overly stressed

Well just shows how tuff our trucks really are. From what I can work out the Spanish built Navara have the same wheel bearings as the Frontier. Now we all know that our friends in the other hemisphere dont seem to worry about such things, bless their little cotton socks. Most of the after market wheels they build over there seem to have minimal offset to none at all. Havent heard of any wheel bearing failures to date on a Frontier so it would appear the bearings are fairly strong.
Not saying that it doesnt load up the bearings but they seem tuff enough to be able to handle it and some of the Frontiers are reaching up over the 100,000 miles now

I got to find an engineer in SA who will certified the 5" lift that Snake Racing or Calmini make then I can then follow that with the 16x8 steelies.

I staked the outer passenger side CV boot 4WDing so I am keen to the Nav a little higher up off the ground and 33" tyres are the solution.

Called an engineer today - waiting for him to call back.

Was in the local stealership this arvo and mentioned the 5" kit to them. Was told to be careful with the rear ABS sensor cables as the they'd seen two now in Adelaide where the cables have pulled out from being over stretched.

Called an engineer today - waiting for him to call back.

Finally got an engineer thats prepared to look at the job. $2200 + GST for hiring an aeordrome, lane change test , brake test, and their time for certifying both the lift and tyres.

Costs:

Lift - $3500
Labour - $600
Wheels - $700
Tyres - $1800
Certification $2420
Flares, new front shocks, misc items - $1000

= $10,000 just to get some 33's under the guards.

Changing the offset is illegal and dangerous. The vehicles not designed for it so i wouldn't recommend it.

It is not illegal if an engineer certifies it and the State Authority accepts the certification. As for dangerous, the lane change test should show up any weaknesses (I would hope).

It is not illegal if an engineer certifies it and the State Authority accepts the certification. As for dangerous, the lane change test should show up any weaknesses (I would hope).

True. How much is it for an Engineers certification these days? I've heard stories of around the $1K mark??

I think the extra load that is placed on the axles, ball joints etc etc would be exacerbated when 4wding/towing and therefore would be dangerous and open to failure over time. A lane change test is really only good for road driving.

I'm thinking more along the lines of what the vehicle can be used for.

Ouch! $2200 for the certification, $1000 for 5 rims and $2000 for 285 tyres. That's over $5K to legally fit wider tyres. Hmmmmmm....

$400 only for tyre certification. The balance is his time for suspension lift certification.

Well there is another way
You could always do a Titan swap . From memory that gives you lift and wider track in a single mod and uses only factory bits so in theory is as strong as it left the factory.
productimage-picture-3_wider_titan_lower_arm_package-4047.jpg

Yes its coilovers and yes its new UCA however the LCA are genuine Titan and will be factory spec

Last edited:
Back