Drag Link

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMofo

Reaction score
OK so i know this has been addressed in various manners throught different threads, iv looked through most of them so i know, i now believe i have a worn drag link but i also have a few questions.

First what i think is wrong is that my drag link has worn or bent, i say worn because under brakes it has a very slight pull to the left, the pull feels like one or both the wheel steer them selves ever so lsightly (hope that makes sense) plus there is probably a 12 - O`clock - 2 - O`clock turn before the wheels start to respond. I know slack is normal (to a degree) but this is getting out of hand and i want it fixed before muster.
Can someone explain how to tell the difference between the Centre rod/Drag Link being warn and the Idler arms being worn??
If this is what you expect from a worn drag link then ill happily replace it and basically do what Joshy did and weld a pieve of angle iron across it to help strengthen it (though if its worn then that wont really help i know) i can pick them up on ebay for around $80.
before i purchase a new one though can anyone attest to the drag links being the same from 97 onwards?? i have an 08 and just want to be sure.
i`m still tempted to splurge on the LHD upgrade from Calmini and reverse engineers it and use that but my mates has done the bushes and i hear that expected so what the real difference between what we have and the "upgrade" as you still have to change parts out at probably the same expense and hassle.

Thanks in advance.

for $80 i would put a new one in and see what the difference is, at least that way you have illuminated.

it will be worn, one end of these it a ball joint and the other end is a pivot pin, because one end is allowed to twist the solid pin to wear out. this is why when offroad with a lokka/locker climbing hills these things toe in so much! it really is a shit design!
short of getting a grassroots rod im not sure if any other fix accept putting a new link in every 12months.

cheers
bryan

There has to be better options out there. You may have to make your own similar to the grassroots one... surely they can't be that hard to make...?

I do know there is a heavy duty version!! About $350 on eBay. Maybe that will help your cause. Seems pointless to put a standard part back in.

image-2600439808.jpg

⚠️Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's⚠️

Last edited:
its not the link it self that wears out its the connections on the ends isnt it? so going thicker in the rod wouldnt make a difference would it?

yeah its kind of like the HD tie rods, the rod it self is thicker in the middle but tapers back down to the exact same thread so it can go in the same ball joints, i dont see why they dont do the entire assembly.

yeah its kind of like the HD tie rods, the rod it self is thicker in the middle but tapers back down to the exact same thread so it can go in the same ball joints, i dont see why they dont do the entire assembly.
Yeah, I don't really see the point in them... they just give you more meat on the adjuster to catch on the bump stop base? on the car, lol.

They really need to make them a slightly different shape or angle so they clear them on full lock when the suspension is at full articulation. ....

yep all the ones ive seen snap do it at the thread, so if you use the same ball joint the thread size will always be the same diameter, the entire units needs to be beefed up and the bump stop black needs a little grind to help clear the tie rod, but that is a different issue to the drag link question here, sorry for the Hijack Steve.

yep all the ones ive seen snap do it at the thread, so if you use the same ball joint the thread size will always be the same diameter, the entire units needs to be beefed up and the bump stop black needs a little grind to help clear the tie rod, but that is a different issue to the drag link question here, sorry for the Hijack Steve.

All good I don't mind as it's something else i have to deal with at the moment, going to do what a few guys have done and add an extra HD nut between the tie rod ends and the adjusters centre piece, also going to grind that lip off and have it welded up, anyone good at and have a welder in sydney?? I want it done before muster.

I do know there is a heavy duty version!! About $350 on eBay. Maybe that will help your cause. Seems pointless to put a standard part back in.

View attachment 17131

Yeah I was thinking of getting something like that or as mentioned welding a piece of angle similar to what Joshy did on his but is more the pinion ends that connect to the drag link that I think is the weak point, not sure of a decent fix but it needs something.
For $80 I think I'll grab one and see how it goes, does anyone know if they are the same through your the years? As the one I have lined up has stated 97 - 04 or something like that. I'm sure they are the same.

Hey guys, I called up performance suspension down on the coast and they making up a HD draglink/centre rod and also have a made a set of HD tierods that have 32mm ends that are grease able and the adjust clears everything. They are currently doing testing on it all but im trying to get my hands on it real quick as mine are worn.

11 yrs old, 307000km's still good as gold,how do you wear a drag link out???

Hence my initial enquiry, something has worn and it's not so much the bar but the link at either end. Sure your not just accustomed to the steering??

Hence my initial enquiry, something has worn and it's not so much the bar but the link at either end. Sure your not just accustomed to the steering??

When I broke the TieRod Adjuster I checked the whole thing out, no wear and tear anywhere.

I am running 305's on 10inch rims, new tierod adjesters and tierod ends and the steering all has f'all play in it.

Last edited:
When I broke the TieRod Adjuster I checked the whole thing out, no wear and tear anywhere. . I am running 305's on 10inch rims, new tierod adjesters and tierod ends and the steering all has f'all play in it.

BIG GUS,

I have to agree with you on that, as we did my 4b exactly the same. Replaced all the same components with the same gear.
And noticed a huge difference steering Spoton.

So maybe we are on to something then
Replacing the components we have done

THAT MAY BE WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES.
drag links maybe wearing out because of the other components not up to scratch any more.
But I will say my steering is 100% better than what it was.
And also I have very Little play in my Drag link too, we checked when installing the new components also it was checked when the wheel alignment was carried out.

The report came back no problems.

BIG GUS,

I have to agree with you on that, as we did my 4b exactly the same. Replaced all the same components with the same gear.
And noticed a huge difference steering Spoton.

So maybe we are on to something then
Replacing the components we have done

THAT MAY BE WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES.
drag links maybe wearing out because of the other components not up to scratch any more.
But I will say my steering is 100% better than what it was.
And also I have very Little play in my Drag link too, we checked when installing the new components also it was checked when the wheel alignment was carried out.

The report came back no problems.

I may order a full set of inner and outer tie rods as well then. Could be on to something if you can run that big if rubber with little issues then it's worth investigating. Thanks for the input guys.

Hi all I have a simple solution for you to get a lot more use out of your drag links and even resurrect your old ones. I accidently stumbled across doing this cause of being sick of replacing them. I need someone to explain how to add pictures so I can explain properly or feel free to contact me directly

Hi all I have a simple solution for you to get a lot more use out of your drag links and even resurrect your old ones. I accidently stumbled across doing this cause of being sick of replacing them. I need someone to explain how to add pictures so I can explain properly or feel free to contact me directly
If you sign up to photobucket.com it will be a lot easier. Otherwise when you reply to a thread, click the go advanced button at the bottom and then click manage attachments. In there you can browse your computer for pictures to upload to your post. You can only upload 4 to 1 post.

Hope that helps

Latest posts

Back