drill and taping for EGT prob

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendan

Reaction score
got my pyro meter today, will be installing it befor the turbo. now i have read somwhere that it doesnt matter if the drilling chips get in the manifold as the turbo is made to deal with carbon and other crap, how true is this? was thinking instead of taking the turbo off, drill and tap my hole, get a small magnent in there to get as much crap out as i can.

also what is the max PRE turbo EGT?

I'm not sure I'd want metal filings to go anywhere near the bearings or through the cat either, so I'd be trying to get all of them back out.

From memory - pre-turbo you should be seeing temps up to about 650C and towards the 750C mark when you're giving it heaps. There's supposed to be a 150-200C drop across the turbine, so if you put the pyro on the 'south' side, expect to read about 450-550C.

yeah never though of the cat, yeah ill be taking the turbo off then.

is that 750c max? when does damage occure?

I have had mine up near 500c when up near 4000rpm in 4th, that was driving hard though.

Dave.

750C would be if you were hammering the Jesus out of it. Full boost on a hot day with a big load behind.

650C is a reasonable max. If you're going 750C constantly you'll be causing it grief, and anything over you can bet your bottom dollar your engine won't be thanking you.

i dont cary anyloads so i dont think i will have a problem. so keep it under 650, but 750 is ok for short time

Once you get into the 700s your getting close to the lower critical temp of the metal components. The higher the temp you go the larger the grain size of the metal component becomes. This coupled with the fact of there being several different metals of varying carbon equivalence present in the component equates to varying coefficients of heat which in turn could cause premature failure. Personally I wouldn't let it run any hotter than 700C.

got it all installed. so far i got it up to 500 taking it hard on fullboost in 4th just to see how hot i could get it.
i have been letting the car idel and turning it off at 150

Latest posts

Back